What to buy for $10k. Tracker/Nitro?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a $10k budget and are looking to buy a used Tracker or Nitro boat. (2001-2004)

Looking in the paper, ebay, boattrader, we have found the following

Please comment on what boat you would like and what seems like a good value.

1. 2002 BASS TRACKER PRO TEAM 185 XT SE w/90 hp $9500 asking

2. 2002 TRACKER MARINE NITRO NX 750 SC w/ 115 hp $10k

3. 2003 NITRO 700 LX w/ 60HP $10k

4. 2002 Nitro NX 882 DC w/150 $12K (over budget i know)

5. BASS BOAT 2000 NITRO w/2001 75 HP $8000 obo

6. 2002 NITRO 640 LX w/ 75hp $10k

Thanks a lot!

Jason

If your budget is $10K and you spend it all on the boat, then you might not have the money for all the "extras" like PFDs, throw cushion, registration, taxes if any, etc.

Assuming that all the boats you mentioned are in equally good condition, then #1 [aluminum I believe] and #2 seem to be the best of the lot--primarily because they have a good power plant for the boat.

#3 is a good combination as well, but you're busting you budget as you ackowledge. If you can truly afford to bust the budget [not only in the short term, but the long], then that would be an excellent pick.

I have a 2001 #2 with the 90 HP. It is an excellent fishing platform. However, I am seriously considering moving up to a 115 HP because I feel the 90 HP is a little underpowered [particularly with a full tank of gas--a real pig on takeoff as I was reminded this weekend on Pomme de Terre].

I think a lot of what you need to consider is what kind of lakes and what type of fishing you want to do. I have a PT-185 with a 50hp. That works for me on most of the lakes I fish; small (under 2000 acres) with lots of standing timber. I tend to stay off the mega reserviors with lots of big boat wakes and long distances to travel. I would think a 90hp on my boat would run like a terpentine cat. The other thing to consider with an aluminum boat is wind. The Oklahoma wind blows me around pretty bad and keeps me on the trolling motor.

A friend of mine used to have a NX750 with a 115hp and it ran good, however it's a little shorter than the PT-185 so wave action on big lakes could be a consideration. Number 3 and #5 boats seem to me like they would be seriously underpowered and #6 is just too small to store much tackle in and it would be an awful small deck to fish off of. The best deal of the bunch is the #4 boat, the NX882 DC with a 150hp would handle most water and get you there on time, plenty of storage and plenty of deck space. If you can get the 882 for anywhere close to your budget that would be the best deal. IMHO My second choice would be the PT-185.

Hope that helps.

Harpo

if #4 is affordable for you as you did put it on the list its a great boat perfectly powered

and eventually you will want this boat anyways go for it

You might be right about that. I couldn't find the exact specs for either boat but the closest thing to the 882 is the 591 which has a total package weight of around 3200 lbs the PT-190 is closer to 1900 lbs. Consider that is a dry weight with an empty tank, no tackle, no PFD's or PBJ's. Your Infiniti is more of a high-performance car than a tow truck. I'm sure it has more horsepower than many pickups that maybe tow much heavier boats but it still not built for towing. You might want to check with your dealer. This question pushes the PT-185 up higher on the list in my opinon.

Harpo

I have a friend with a Lexus who found that his ideal boat was going to push close to the tow limit... He talked to his Lexus dealer and to a knowledgeable trailer store and was advised to go ahead provided he added surge brakes to the trailer... And, he upgraded his tires... I've driven the combo and while it doesn't leap out "off the line"... the tires firmed up the ride and the brakes make towing with the Lexus much more "controlled".

I'm with Harpo, first is what type of water are you gonna fish and what type of fishing? is the lake long so you'll be wanting to make long fastruns, or is it a rocky river type where an aluminium boat would be much better? Is speed any kind of an issue, any min or max's your are concerned about?

For basic bass fishing in a small to medium lake, any of the boats you found would work. Here are my suggestions, comments for what they are worth. I ran a 2000 Tracker PC 175 with a 40 Merc for 6 years and the last year a '99 Nitro 700lx with a 115 Merc. Oh assuming all the motors mentioned are Merc 2 stroke Carb'd motors, if any are Opti's or 4 strokes that makes a difference in weight, performance, gas mileage and the like...

1. 2002 BASS TRACKER PRO TEAM 185 XT SE w/90 hp $9500 asking - Great boat, with maxed out HP, if you don't need a 2nd console a good light relatively fast boat for the $$.

2. 2002 TRACKER MARINE NITRO NX 750 SC w/ 115 hp $10k - Great boat, much faster then #1, slightly larger/wider then my 700lx and a real nice boat, again decent deal not a steal.

3. 2003 NITRO 700 LX w/ 60HP $10k - Way underpowered in my boat, mine has a 115 merc (max is 125hp), and that boat will be a pig out of the hole, unless you have it proped for hole shot then top end will be maybe mid 30's at best. Mine runs low-mid 50's with the 115 Merc.

4. 2002 Nitro NX 882 DC w/150 $12K (over budget i know) - Realy nice boat, wish I had one but I am with others, it would be a real close call on weight loaded with gear and if the Infinity FX has any stuff and a few people in it, you would definetly need trailer brakes, maybe someone on this site with one could give you a real weight loaded with gas and gear??

5. BASS BOAT 2000 NITRO w/2001 75 HP $8000 obo - Have no clue what model this is, could be a 640lx which with a 75 merc is decent, if its a 750 its underpowered.

6. 2002 NITRO 640 LX w/ 75hp $10k - Buddy has one with the 90 merc, runs a hair at 50 lightly loaded and upper 40's with all our gear, nice 2 person boat is space/weight towing and garage is an issue.

Trep

My vote would be the 882/150 - had one - loved it

Next would be the 750/115

If you can afford it, that extra 2 grand gets a lot more power, speed, storage, and room for the family. Also remember those are asking prices and the condition of the boats are left to be seen.

Personally the 882 would be my first choice by a huge margin( im biased since i do own one, great boat BTW) my second would most likey be the 750 followed closely by the pt 185 for third.

On the weight issue i think the 882 might be a little heavy for yout tow vehicle. I had mine weighed once and loaded with all my gear and a half a tank of has it was pushing 3400# with a full tank it be really close to 3500, maybe more. Your infinity is rated at 3500# with a dirver, add a passenger or two and some gear in the vehicle and you have to drop what it can tow by the weight of the people/gear. I dont think moving it would be a problem, stopping(even with the brakes that come on all 882's) it would be as well as controlling it going down the road( the fx does have a short wheelbase). I tow mine with a Chevy Silverado Etx cab 4wd and while i hardly know its back there from a power standpoint but i can feel it when hitting bumps etc. I think the 882 is heavy enough to throw a smaller vehicle around and could create an unsafe situation.

Jim - Thats good to know on the 882, as i looked at a couple of 18fters before I bought Rich's 700lx, and always wondered what a 18-18.5 with a 150 would weigh, 34-3500 sounds about right loaded with gas, gear and as you said once you start loading gear/people into the vehicle the max tow capacity drops.

So Jason - If you are locked on the FX for a tow vehicle, i'd say the 750/115 would be your best bet and probably the top on weight, and then i'd go with the PT 185 w/90.

Hey did you find out what 5. BASS BOAT 2000 NITRO w/2001 75 HP $8000 obo boat actualy is?? which model is running that 75 hp? And which motors (Opti, Carb'd, EFI, 4-stroke)

Thanks. I've ruled out the 882 due to weight.

#2 is like a 10 hour drive from me so I can't tell the condition until I drive down there. :(

#3 is 2 hours away in Atlanta, but I dunno if I want that small of an engine.

#6 sounds nice, but may be too small.. and its red, which wife doesnt care for too much lol

"PT 170TX 2006 $9995 and you do not have to worry about anything new is good"

Where is that offer and with what size motor?

You might be able to tell by looking at it:

http://classifieds.ajc.com/classifieds-bin/classifieds?property=ajc&tp=AJC&classification=recreation&temp_type=detail&tl=75&ad_id=114832951

Disregard last post.. When you click on enlarge, I can see that it is a 700 Model

Jason - Just checked and saw that. So if you decided a 17ish foot is a good size, and you'll have no issue with the FX my front drive minivan is rated to same 3500 and tows my 700lx 115 merc with no problems.

If the boats are all in good conditions i'd take the 75hp on the 700lx vs the 60 most definetly, but i tell ya having a 115 on my 700lx, you might be asking/begging for more power shortly after buying it. Again though, its all about what you WANT - The fastest of the ones' that look doable via weight would be the 750/115 merc, and the recessed trolling motor pedal is a nice addition on the 750. I'd guess from my experience and friends that you'd be looking low-mid 50's in that boat, the 700lx with a 75 merc will most likely be looking at a top end around low 40's at best.

Trep

Marty if you decide to move up to the 115 please contact me as I would be interested in your 90 for my 640LX.

Jason - boat looks good in pictures, my questions would be :

1. Why did they buy the galvenized trailer? Did/do they take the boat in salt/brackish water, and if so is there any current/future damage to the electronic components based on corrosion from salt water use.

2. The wooden steps look interesting, wonder if it was an older/handicaped individual?

3. Skeg has a bit shaved off, but that looks typical of a few years use. Looks like a high 5 prop, which i would think is a bit much for that boat (Pat Goff would know much better) problably a great holeshot but would limit top end, but as long as it is/was operating in the correct RPM range should have no hurt to the motor.

4. If you decide you want to look at it, since its a Marina/Boat store "HARBOR MARINE SALES & SERVICES" I would ask what information/paperwork they have on the motor (work done, compression, ...) and what kind if any warranty they would provide.

And then there is the usual list of stuff to check on any boat - transom, decking, everything works, cracks in hull, trailer....and so on...

Trep

Trepman.. Thanks a lot for that info.. Those are good questions to ask.. I noticed those stairs too.. interesting.

Check out this website. There are a lot of boats for sale on it.

http://www.probass.com/boats4sale/

Latest posts

Back