What size trailer jack ???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Peterson

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm looking at getting a new tongue jack since the stock one is not the type you can jack up and then turn horizontally. Because of this I can't have the jack cranked up and my tailgate down at the same time. And unfortunately my friend put my tailgate down without my knowledge last year so when I went to back the trailer into the water.....lets just say....I wasn't happy my 8 month old truck had a new dent in the tailgate.

My question is....What LB jack do I need to get for a PT185???

Bass Pro has this 800lb one on sale right now.....is 800lb enough?

if I recall correctly, I think my trailer has a 1000lb jack on it. PT175 on trailer.

Is it tongue weight which you consider with trailer jack sizing? If so, the tongue weight will be around 10% of the total package weight. The package weight for my boat is 2800 lbs. I actually weighed the tongue and it was 280 lb.

My guess is 800 lbs is more than adequate.

it has to be more than tounge wieght... since generally the jack is not on the 'tounge', but a couple feet back.

Get the biggest capacitiy that will fit... better safe than sorry.

When i replaced mine i think i got a 1000# one at walmart pretty cheap.

I replaced mine with a 1000#er just because I could get a black one instead of the silver.:wacko:

Harpo

Latest posts

Back