What percentage of time do you spend . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
You are out on a local fishing trip, either serious (tournament) or just for enjoyment.

How much time (percentage wise), do you spend with the various tactics. Obvsiously, this can/will be driven in part by what particularly will work and the conditions.

For me, I seem to spend about 60-70% of my time throwing some type of soft plastic. Whether it be a jerk bait, senko type or worm/lizard. Of that, I'm probably spending about 20% of that time 'pitching' it, and the rest casting to targets.

About 20% of my time is spent throwing some type of crankbait.

10% with topwater.

The balance with some type of 'blade' bait (spinnerbait or swimming type bait).

Tex

Tex, for this summer I have fished as a percentage the following. (This will change in the fall to much more jerkbait/subsurface).

85% - Softplastics (HulaGrub/Senko/Powerworm)

50% - Pitching

50% - Casting

5% - Tube Baits and SoftJerkbaits (for smallies)

95% - Casting

5% - Hard Jerkbaits/Subsurface/Topwater

95% - Casting

5% - Spinnerbaits

95% - Casting

I always have at least two rods on the deck. One is a spinnerbait rod which is usally what I start with unless it very early in the morning when the topwater bite is more logical. I will also always have my pitching rod ready with either a tube, jig, or a T-rigged worm. As the day progresses or doesn't progress as the case may be, I move may move to the crankbait or jerkbait depending on conditions.

I can't really put a percentage figure on it but I would say that most of the time I am alternating between spinnerbait and soft plastic.

Harpo

Typically, I stick to soft plastics, but there are lakes that have produced more fish on either a crankbait or spinnerbait.

Average:

75% Soft Plastic

25% Crankbait/Spinnerbait

I spend very little time with topwater baits just because I've had little success with them.

Reno

Right Now I am kind of confused.

I spent 1 year 90% spinner baits, 10% the rest

then it was 80% plastic, 10% Spinner baits, 10% the rest

Last year was 90% Crank Baits 10% the rest.

This year i wanted to learn to fish a Jig but I find myself throwing 90% everthing else and 10% Jig.

BF

ALWAYS start the day with a clear mind and no pre conceptions of what you are going to throw. That way you are open to whatever will work.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back