What Lure to Throw this weekend??????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.2

Reaction score
Hey guys, fairly new to this site. I am fishing a small tournament this weekend. Here are the expected conditions.

Water Temp as of yesterday 56-58

Water was very stained yesterday (only 1-2 feet clarity) Not typical of this small 100 acre lake though.

Supposed to be 76 today (Thursday) and 70 on Friday.

Saturday 4-22-06 (Tournament day) expected to be Mostly Cloudy, low of 41, high of 63 with rain developing in the afternoon.

I was thinking with the warm weather here (finally) the bite could turn on if the water temps reach 60 by Saturday. I will probably pitch a Jig into some laydowns, but any other suggestions??

Is it too early for a Buzz Bait?

Please provide what bait you would throw with color, weight, presentation etc.

By the way, this lake is known for big LMB and no SMB

Thanks

In similar conditions out here in Kansas I found no success with a buzz bait. However, I was quite successful with jerkbaits and crankbaits fished very slowly. Slow stop and go retrieve was more successful than suspended full stop.

slow rolled spinerbaits, JERKBAIT, stop and go with a one second pause to start and the jig or small plastic. look for drop around flats, and wood. they should be looking to nest soon.

I don't know about CT but in TN and IN I found I can't go wrong throwing a blue/chrome or black/gold 1/2 ounce Rat-L-Trap in different depths. I tried using Rapala's version of the Rat-L-Trap and I don't seem to have as much luck. Something about the way the Lewis ones run.

Hey Terri,

Have you ever fished Lake Monroe or Lake Lemon in Indy?

Thanks guys, I did well with the smallmouth last weekend slow rolling a spinner bait in 53-56 degree water.

I guess my only concern is the very stained water. It is not normal for this lake, but it has been extremely windy here in CT, more so than usual. Anybody else notice this in their parts of the country.

Chartreuse spinnerbaits in stained water, I would assume?????

Clown colored suspending jerk bait. Rapala husky jerk works well. Snap four times quick succession then let it sit for a count of ten, snap again four times. "Repeat" 5 ft. to 6-1/2 ft. medium to medium heavy pole. If perch are present in the body of water use a perch colored jerk bait. I use 8 lb. test P-Line on mine. Hang on cause the bites can be quite ferocious.;) If that fails, a simple white 3" triple ripple grub on a 1/16 to 1/8 oz jig head black will work.

JDJ, yes I have fished both lakes. Lake Lemon when I was a kid. It is full of lilly pads now. I fished the shallowed side of Monroe a few times. Caught lots of crappie but not too many bass. Seemed like I was always there really early in the spring.

try the jig for sure but also throw a Rapala DT6 or DT10. Also try a shad rap. For some reason at that temperature they really like a tight wiggle and Rapala's will do the trick. Also if they are still deep try a c-rig. You won't see anyone throwing a c-rig but it will work if they are still fairly deep. GL&GF

Jeff, i would slow rool a white spinnerbait. They work really well up here in the north east. If its not sunny though dont waste your time with the spinnerbait. I would also try a Jig and Pig up shallow. Id bet the fish will start the morning on the break from shallow flats to deeper water and move up as the water warms to feed.

Looks like there are 2 Jeff R's on this site now!

Teri,

I spent 5 years living beteen Bean Blossom and Lake Lemon, never fished it much but did ski it a few times. I used to hunt around Monroe and we built houses on both lakes when I was a carpenter there. I still have a son and 4 grandkinds in the area, Martinsville In.

Down on Toledo Bend in Louisiana we have those same conditions in late Jan and early Feb. At the time we fish a crawfish colored rattle trap or a white spinner bait slow rolled over the grass or a watermellon red super fluke rigged weightless with a 3/o hook and 10Lb line....let the fluke sink to the bottom and then give it slight twitches....very slow....the will hit it like a Tx rigged worm.

Thanks for all the help guys. This was my first tournament as a boater. I finished in 5th place out of 10 with a really tough field. Much better than I expected. We had 70 degree weather all week, and woke up to a cold front on tournament day. Isn't that how it always works? It was a high of 48, and rained most of the day. Only 2 boats pulled in 5 fish limits, with the winning bag 18+ lbs. He had a 6 lber and 4.5 lber along with a couple 3's and a 2. All on a sweet beaver.

I had 3 fish for 8 lbs, again good enough for fifth. 2 on a Yum Houdini Shad and 1 Slow rolling a white spinner bait off a point. Same point the winner got all his fish

Funny thing is, 2nd place got all his fish off this same point for 13 lbs. This lake is only 90 acres and has some big fish in it.

Here is the worst part of my day. It was 1:30, weigh in at 2:00. I was trying to get at least one more fish in the boat, my hands were wet and cold. As I am casting, my lure breaks off, and there goes my Shimano Citica and Rod, right out of my hands in 8 feet of water. I know exactly where it is, so next time out, I'll have to try to find it. Please tell me this has happened to others.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Back