What line to use?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kyte

Reaction score
This question is being asked because I dont have time to experament with them all. So I am turning to you all for some of your wisdom. I normally fish with 14# XPS Signature mono on my baitcaster and 10# Bps Excel on my spinning gear. I realize that what I use the line for depends on what baits I am casting and where, but I only keep 2 of each type reel. What is the best for all around fishability?

Thanks for the input.

Bill Kyte

Well, I tend to be a little hard headed, and have been accused of resisting change. Over the years I have tried all the different lines as they come out. I always end up going back to Sliver thread, either the AN40 of Super Silver Thread. For me I get the best castability and strength. Because it is a co-polymer, I find I can use 12lb on a spinning reel with no problem.

sometimes you can find it on the shelf at BPS, but I usually just order it.:)

I love Suffix line. One of the first true mono lines that came out that holds true to their word - and that would be low stretch & low memory!!! I use this on all of my spinning gear and one or two bait casters.

When I'm chunking spinnerbaits or chatterbaits or jigs I line using Spider Wire. Never failed me.

"I don't feel like experimenting with them all".....

Hmmmm... then I would have to reply with "Then you are never going to find the TRUE "best" all around line for YOU".

The reason I say this, is that everyone has their favorites. Otherwise, several line companies would be out of business. Once everyone here posts their favorites (and we are just a extremely small slice of the opinion on this subject), then you are stuck with the job of choosing between OUR choices of line, which puts you right back where you were to begin with, doesn't it?

But if you want choices, here is what I currently use (and that changes from time to time also - probably will be experimenting with something different within a month):

Soft Plastics on baitcaster: 14lb Shakespeare Supreme Super Tough

Larger Soft Plastics on spinning: 10 to 12lb Shakespeare Supreme Super Smooth

Smaller Soft Plastics (tubes) on spinning: 6lb Izorline Platinum

Jigs on baitcaster: 20lb Shakespeare Supreme Super Tough or 30lb Power Pro Braid

Topwater / Spinnerbait / Buzzbait on baitcaster: 14 or 17lb Shakespeare Supreme Super Tough

Topwater Frogs / "Slop Baits" on Baitcaster: 30lb Power Pro Braid

Crankbaits on either baitcaster or spinning: 10lb Yozuri Hybrid

I consider line to be technique / lure / water color specific, just like rods and lures. I do not have a "one size fits all" line, but if I had to make one choice, it would probably be 14lb test, in something clear. It won't cover everything perfectly - but it's kind of like a 6'6" Medium Heavy baitcast rod - I can use it for almost anything.

All the best,

Glenn

P.S. - I havn't used it yet, but there have been tons of people talking about Suffix line. Guess I'll have to go buy some to test it.

BTW - a few months back, I replied to a similar question, and everywhere that you currently see "Shakespeare Supreme .....", you would have found a matching version in the Trilene line - XT for the tough, XL for the smooth. They have been, and still are, favorite choices. I compare the Shakespeare line to that companies offerings.

But with all the technological breakthrough's occuring all the time, it's to your best interest to experiment a little.

All the best,

Glenn

P-Line for me. I've tried just about all of them and I keep coming back to P-Line CX Premium. I don't care for the CXX X-tra Strong...too stiff and wirey. I haven't tried the Halo or Evolution yet but I'm sure I will as I get ready for spring. I also like Silver Thread AN-40 a lot too. It's a little cheaper. For braid it's Power Pro all the way.

Harpo

Suffix mono has been my choice for the last two years... I use 30lb Power Pro on my heavy river trolling rigs... 12lb XT on my open water downrigger/planer board line counters... 8lb Fireline on my jigging rods.... 8lb Cajun Red on the Spincasters for kids (easy for them to see above water)... 4lb Sffix on my crappie slip boober rods... 10lb Suffix on my Walleye slip bobber rods... 14lb Firelinbe on my baitcasters for lipless cranks and fast topwater baits and spinner baits... 14 lb Suffix on my other baitcasters for Carolina rigs and finnesse baits that I fish slow.... many of those have 8 or 10 lb mono leaders The line diameter affects fall rates so my leaders vary in length and size depending on what I want the bait to do...

And, for those that are interested... 12lb XT on my segmented leadcore (Walleyespeak):p

Wow! 12lb XT on your segmented leadcore, huh? Cool! (I have no idea what that is :wacko: )

What's a walleye? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Greg... couldn't resist. :p

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn... a walleye is what you fish for after you have grown up....:p

And, now, for you reading enjoyment.... deep water trolling 20+' requires getting lures to run that deep...

Leadcore is nylon brauded line like chinese handcuffs with a thin lead core (hence "leadcore"....LOL)... the line is colored a different color every ten yards... And trolled at about 1.2-1.5mph it will sink approximately 5 feet for every ten yards... That coupled with the dive curve of the various lures.... ie. 15' with 45 feet of line out... means that you can create setups with three and five colors spooled with 30feet of mono after the leadcore and then look at the results... 30 feet of mono with "X" lure then three colors (ninety feet) of lead core and 15' of mono after the planer board gets you down 30'.... two more colors on another setup would get you down 40'....

There is a book, we refer to as the "trolling bible" The Precision Trolling Book that gives you the dive curves of almost every lure we use.... 45' of mono on a #8 Shad Rap at 1.2 mph will dive to 28'... etc... charts after charts...

Walleyes suspend under big clouds of baitfish in open water (Erie, Green Bay, Winnebago...etc.) So after you mark them on a graph and determine they are suspended at 25' you want to troll your baits at that depth... actually you should trol 4 or so baits at slightly different depths till you determine the best...

Now you see why we laugh when we hear you guys discuss whether "june bug" or "watermelon" is a better trailer on a jig head.... Two of go out we may have thrity rigged rods ready to go.... I buy crankbaits in sets of six of each color and carry about 1500 in the truck...

That's segmented leadcore.... we also use it with all ten colors spooled on reels... on 10-12' rods....

Come to walleye U sometime.... Oh, and BTW, walleye have teeth so don't try to lip 'em...:wacko:

I have a different line for just about every purpose.

Most lines today are actually pretty good overall....different strokes:cool:

For my spinning reels I like berkley trilene XL...in the clear blue flourescent...(every since they stopped making the photochromic line - right TOX?)

by the way...I bought 10 spools of it (300yds?) at Wally-World on clearance Friday...$2 a box!!!

Baitcasters I normally use 14 to 17lb XT....

I do have some 'special application' setups where I use other stuff...but these are the 'meat and potatos' lines...

az

I'm almost out Andy and will start the process of finding another to fit "my" style. I believe there is no right line for everyone. The way you cast, reel and set the hook helps determine what line is the best for your style. Add to that the different characteristics of different lines and it can be a long process. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Glenn.....most walleye guys use leeches, worms and minnows.....nuff said!!:lol::lol: They do make fine tablefare though!!

TOXIC

Hey Thanks for all the great info. You have helped me narrow my search. Everyone, tight lines and have a great year fishing.

Bill Kyte

Latest posts

Back