What line to use for Musky fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMYTRUCK XMYTRUCK

Reaction score
Hello

Just a quick survey, what line do you use for musky, pike fishing, I use 14lb Trilene XT. But I have been hearing people use a line called tuf xp.. And I have people even going up to 80lb test WOW!. My biggest musky was 44 inches and I caught him on 12lb Trilene XL. Last year I lost a couple of big ones due the line breakage. I thought it was wasn't the line but maybe the sharp teeth cutting threw the line.. Should I be using a wire leader?

Thanks X

Ps. I just got to rod and reel combo and BPS extreme with a Abu C4, do U think tuf xp will cause any damage to the guides or reel?

I use 50lb fireline and always use at least a 9 inch wire leader. I don't think the line will damage your rod or reel.

Rich D

How thick is fireline? is it just as thick as regular mono? I guess the tuf xp is suppose to no thicker than 20lb mono but have the strengthen of 100lb..

I will start to use a wire leader. DO you think that the swivel hampers the action of the lure ?

Last year I was fishing for Bass in Maine working a set for weeds next to a drop off, I was using rattle L trap and caught three bass, and one small pike. Out of the blue a huge monster (pike at least 33+) appears nail my lure and goes right under the boat (snap). I always do not know what do in situation like that, I do fish areas that have bass, pike and musky. Sometime you are going for one species and the other hits. So should I always have a leader on?

CAN

80 lb Power pro. Very low diameter and works great on my Pete Mania reel. Never had a problem until my 7 year old tried to cast a Hawg Wobbler off the boat..took me a day to cut out the birdnest and that line does not cut easily

I'm going to back Mark up on this, I use Power Pro - great castability for a superline... It does not fray when you pick out the bird nest either...

We got GREAT muskie fishing by me (Fox Chain - rated in top 50 muskie waters in US) -- If you guys are in Chicagoland, MORE than happy to take you out for the monsters ;-)

David

Power Plus 50 lbs test? My C4 fit's 205 of 12 pound test. How many yard do you guestimate I could fit with power plus 50lbs?

thanks X

Fireline is thinner than mono for the same lb test. I think 50lb fireline is equivalent to about 14lb mono. In general if I am fishing for bass, I don't use a leader, even if it is in pike waters.

It sounds like you bass fish with the occassional muskie/pike thrown in. If you do plan on fishing for muskies take Scotts advice and get a bigger reel with a 7-8 foot med heavy rod. The thing to remember about the braids and fused lines is that there is little to no stretch, so you need some flex in the rod. Also muskie plugs average 2 or three ounces and few bass rods can handle them. (I even have a 10 oz spinnerbait for deep trolling)

Rich D

BTW, I've boated muskie on a 7' ML St. Croix Avid Spinning rod with 6lb. P-Line CXX -- THAT was fun...

David

Latest posts

Back