what do you use for drop shot?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete hanford2

Reaction score
I was watching somewhere on TV there was a knot they used to keep the hook straight out from the line on the drop shot.I want to try it this year.what know do you use on the drop shot.

Pete - It is called a "Palomar" knot. Go to google and look up the knot and how to tie it. Suggest when you finish tying it you take the tag end and put it through the hook eye and back down again. This will ensure that the hook is parallel to the line with the point up. Great way to fish.

I use the palomar not as well but there was a segment on ESPN a little while ago that showed a differnt knot being used demonstrated by Aaron Martens. It looked a little more difficult to tie but he is very good at that technique. I use the palomar and I can get the hook to hang correctly.

After my last post about drop shot, I looked up the palomar knot and practiced tieing it. I kept getting the hook upsidedown. WTF !!!! :rolleyes:

Try these from Bass Pro:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=58058&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

They work flawlessly !

Pete - I copied a message from Toxic about his method of drop shotting. He uses a different type of hook instead of the "typical" drop shot hook. I have tried both and only use the version described below. Ken S shows the new style of hook that was made specifically for dropshotting but I have not tried them. There was a long post of drop shotting so do a search on "drop shot" which was originally posted by Teri C and look at all the info.

From Toxic's post

"There are a bunch of ways to fish a dropshot. The important things are to figure out how long your "tag" line should be, how heavy of dropshot weight to use, and line test. My personal favorite that works for most al situations is a 1/4 oz. weight on a CastAway 6'9" dropshot rod (if you do not have a rod made for dropshotting, you need a medium weight rod with a fast tip) and 10lb test mono or fluro (your choice). You can verticle fish this setup, as a matter of fact it is one of the very few times I use my electronics to actually locate the fish themselves, or you can cast it out and retrieve it. I use Owner Dropshot weights right now, I have tried them all!! I will use the BPS "tube" style dropshot weights made for pulling through rocks. There is another pro-staffer for Yamamoto that pours his own and they are a modified teardrop that he claims are the best made (he fishes them on the Columbia River in Oregon). He is sending me some and if they live up to their reputation, I will be posting more info here for everyone, especially Ken. Keep the distance between your hook and weight at least 18 inches if you are going to cast and retrieve. Any shorter and you will be dragging your bait on the bottom during the retrieve and you will get snaggged up a lot. Dont over work the bait, very short light tapping of the bait will work best. Baits........6inch Robo worms (any of the FX colors) on a #1 (not 1.0!!!!) Gamakatsu EWG offset shank hook. The other baits I use are the Yamamoto cut tail worm (6inch or smaller) and their new Shad Shape worm. "

GUYS:

SORRY, HERE IS THE WEB ADDRESS. BASSINTIPS.COM. FRIEND OF MINE, HELPED MY PARTNER AND I WIN THE FISHERS OF MEN EAST CHAMPIONSHIP.

MIKE

If you are not getting your hook to stand out right, do put your tag end back through the hook eye or re-tie starting from the opposite side of the hook. I start the line from the hook point side whereas for a senko, I start from the "backside" of the hook.

TOXIC

I use the Gulp smelt 3" and 4" minnow, it works the best for me than any other

Latest posts

Back