WHAT DO I DO MY KEEL GRD IS PEELING OFF....FALLING OFF !!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul white2

Reaction score
I BOUGHT AN 05 NITRO NX 882 LAST MAY LIKE BRAND NEW !! IT HAS WHITE KEEL GUARD ON IT. ALL OF A SUDDEN IT HAS STARTED PEELING ALL THE WAY DOWN 1 SIDE !!! IT HAS A GRAY PIECE ATTACHED OR GLUED TO THE BOAT, THEN THE WHITE PIECE IS COMING LOOKSE FROM THE GRAY !!!! THIS BOAT IS LIKE NEW AND WHAT WOULD MAKE THE KEEL GRD JUST FALL OFF ?????? AND, THE GRAY PART THAT STICKS TO THE BOAT IS KINDA WANTING TO PEEL PRETTY EASY TOO. OTHER SIDE IS FINE. WOULD SUM1 PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO TRY AND SAVE THIS ??? CONTACT CEMENT?? EPOXY??? WHAT WOULD GLUE IT BACK AND HOLD IT CUZ I NEED THIS STUFF ON THE BOTTOM AND IT'S EXPENSIVE TO BUY TOO !!! ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.....THNXXXXX.............PAUL WHITE. ANY IDEAS WRITE ME AN EMAIL AT [email protected] DNT USUALLY REMEMBER TO CHECK THIS OFTEN AND I HAVE TO GET THIS FIXED B4 I GO OUT AGAIN, OR TAKE IT ALL OFF !!! PLEASE SUM1 TELL ME OK ?:(:(

First you have to determine which keel protector you have. If it has 7 ribs it is a KeelShield and if it has fewer it is a Megaware KeelGuard. Both companies will stand behind their product but I am pro-staff for KeelShield. Go count the ribs and get back on and let me know which one it is and if possible take a couple of pictures. I'll get you taken care of one way or the other.

TOXIC

toxic...............man you gotta be kidding ?? send me your email address if you dont mind [email protected] go take pix for you now ok, brb in less than 10 mins ok............thank you sir !! paul

TOXIC..........i have taken the pix for you. it seems that the keel has 5 ribs only. but it has came loose all the way on 1 side, and it's loosing up on the other side as well now i just felt and found out. i have 4 pix but my library is filled up so send me ya email and ill attach em to the email to get em to you ok.......thnxxx again.............paul

By telling me it has 5 ribs, it is a Megaware KeelGuard. Contact Roger Sutterfield at [email protected] If you get no satisfaction from them drop me a line and I will get you a discount on a KeelShield and I guarantee you it won't peel off. Getting all of the old adhesive off is going to be a chore but well worth it. Let me know how it goes with Roger. Send him the pictures as well.

TOXIC

On Edit, thanks for the pictures. What you have is a Hamby's Light Duty and Roger is for sure the guy you need to talk to. Let's hope you get a better response than Carlos did. Let me know.

Toxic.............thnxxx alot man i app it alot ok !! i will email the guy and see what he says. and if no satisfaction i will def. take 1 of yours. let me know how hard these are to put on ok. is there an adhesive to be applied, or is it already on the back of it ?? how hard is it to do ??? paul

They are pretty straightforward on application. Read the instructions that come with it (if you get one) and follow them to the letter. Just remember, once it touches the hull it ain't moving...period. You get one chance and one only. As for removing your old one, CIII did it on his old and he probably has some pointers, if I remember, he had a Hamby's Light duty as well that started peeling. Let me know what Roger says. I already sent you the instructions to get a discount if you get a KeelShield. Good luck.

TOXIC

The entire removal process for the Hamby's was a totaly pain the a$$. I never again want to pull one of them off. Plus, (opinion to follow) I will also never own a Hamby's product again.

It took me a few days to get the thing off, then I had to buy a heat gun to get the sticky off. I had a brand new lifetime warranty KeelShield ready to install when I sold the boat and I had about 70% of the adheasive cleaned off. However, I needed warmer weather to finalize the removal and then install the new KeelShield.

I tried to patch holding the flopping thing on and it will not work due to the water pressure up there.

Good luck, be careful with the heat gun and let us know how it goes.

Carlos

Latest posts

Back