What a Jerk

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

Reaction score
Jerk Bait that is.

What brand of Jerk baits do you all use. I throw the husky Jerk. But I hear the Lucky Strike is an awsome bait. But at $15.00 a bait. I can get almost Three Husky jerk for that.

While were on the subject, What rod lenght/weight and reel ratio do you prefer?

I like the Smithwick Rogue, suspending, color: Clown. However after talking to a local pro at the tackle show recently I'm thinking about trying a couple of the Luckycraft baits. He was especially hot on the Pointer and the Sammy. I use a 7' med heavy rod for jerkin'.

Harpo

I use a VA jerk, the one that makes you jerk your head around to see what you just put in the water !!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Get it Tox HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Carlos

I also use Rapala Husky Jerks and Countdown Series. Favorite colors are silver w/ blue and black backs, shad, clown, and white w/ chart. back.

On recent trip to BPS I picked up some XPS hard baits and am looking forward to using them. I'll post my results with them.

I fish them on 6'6" med. & med.hvy. St. Croix's, Bionic Blades and Crankin' Sticks.

I like suspending husky jerks and non-suspending rogues (don't ask me why the different brands, I just do). I usually fish on a 6'6" med-hvy with a fast retrieve (6.1-6.3) reel. I have a few friends who like short rods, so they can jerk downwards toward the water. I fished with Steve Daniel on Seminole (big jerkbait guy), and he uses a long rod - at least for him - he's about 5'5", weighted on the tip. I think he can move more line with long sweeps of that rod and the weighted tip keeps him from getting as tired. Just a few observations.

We can't forget about the Yo-Zuri's. I really like their suspending jerks. Last season I caught most of my fish on these. I've also heard that the Lucky Craft's are awsome too. I too use a 6'6" med.heavy with no more than 12 or 14 lb test. I think it gives them better action.

Just my 2 cents worth. Bassman

I really like the Lucky Crafts Pointers, and got some Megabass 110's to try out this year. Fished with a St.Croix 6'6" Medium, and Medium Heavy with 12# Seaguar line.

I just re-read my post and I should have said Lucky Craft not Lucky Strikes. Please refrain from the use of Tobacco baits.

Also I noticed that most of you say you use a med/hvy rod. I always thought you should use a med or ven a med/light that way you wouldn't move the bait to fast or rip the hooks free with a huge hookset. HHUUUUMMMMM must re-think my tactics

Buzz, How do you likethe Seaguar line. Is it limp enough in the higher tests?

John, I haven't used any line heavier then the 12 # as I use Power Pro for jigging and I use Stren 17 # & 20 # for Carloina. I'm going to try the florocarbon by PLine this year in the heavier weight line for pitching in clearer water. Thanks

Oh Carlos,

You are just not gonna let that fade into the sunset. Remember my friend, I have a picture of you wearing one of MY hats because yours wanted to fly with the birdies and you had no idea where it made its escape (gotta love that 225)!! Now if we were going to keep a tally, I'm not sure who'd be ahead. You got to recover your rear seat and other than the cell phone mine have all been low cost launches (box of hooks etc.)(well, the keys and boat plug were painfull), not like someone who decides that an entire box of cranks are expendable. Just don't lose those junebug worms or you'll be lost. Why didn't we throw some of those to those finicky crappie?!?!

TOXIC

Oh yeah, nuthin but SPRO jerks.

I also, have not spent much $$ on buying the imported Japenese baits, but am leaning more towards that direction. My thinking currently, is that if a top quality bait - such as Lucky Craft, will put one or two more fish in the boat during an outing, how much would I be willing to pay for it?

Been times (especially last Sat.), where I'd plop down a $20 in a minute for one more (or one!) in the boat. I have heard nary a bad word concerning the Pointer series of baits from Lucky Craft. On my next trip to the store, I'm going to get at least 2 of the Pointer 100 series.

Tex

Luckycraft and Yozuris. And I use 12 lb test or 10 lb in open water.

This thread begs a question...

Just how many of the lures we use day-to-day are actually "Made In The USA"?

Should be more concerned with buying American products???

az

Exactly, "Made in America" small print.....with chinese parts, by taiwanese workers. I crack up at people that buy Ford because they want american made. Take a good look at that motor. The tires? American eh? Bearings? The stereo? American companies need to learn to provide Honday and Toyota quality products at competitive prices or they will become extinct. It's called free enterprise and that is what makes America great. I will throw Luckycrafts and Yozuris until Rapala and Smithwick make as realistic looking baits, that cast as far and run true right out of the package. Rogues USED to be my go to bait, but they almost never run true anymore and I'm tired of messing with them. And I DO catch more fish on the imports.

Rob wasn't made America, he was made in NY!!! Just kidding Rob...

Bob G.

A different take on American Made.

Today, we need to look at 'American Made' products slightly differently. So many items are made from mfg'd goods with various countries of orgins. Truly making and selling something American Made is very difficult.

However, there is an easier test that I generally put on items. If it is an American based and owned company, then I'll buy from them. American Honda, is NOT an American company. Money goes back to Honda parent, in some shape or form. Therefore, I consider it to be foreign made.

Same holds true for the various rods, reels, line, baits, etc. that BPS seels as their own product. If they are made FOR BPS (an American company) to their specs, then I have no problem buying from them.

On a personal note, I have only purchased one new car that was not American. During the BIG oil shortage in the early 80's, I succumbed and purchased a VW Rabbit Diesel (52mpg actual!) after great pressure from my wife (it was her car). That is the one and only NEW car that I have purchased that is not an American brand. My choice to support the American Automobile economy as I see fit.

Next time you want to buy American, see if you can't put a different 'test' to the old Buy American adage.

Tex

Thats why All Star is THE AMERICAN ROD COMPANY! lol

For smallies.....All Star Titanium 6'6" med spinning rod, Johnny Morris "30" series spinning reel, 10lb XPS Mono.....baits vary. MOst of the time it will be a XPS Lazer Eye Minnow, Bobmer 15A, Rouge or Lucky Craft Pointer or Splash Minnow. Most are suspending, but sometimes it will be a floater. I let the fish tell me what they want.

Largemouth.....All Star 6'4" casting Jerkbait rod, Shimano Curado or Calcutta, 12-14lb XPS Mono or 14-17lb XPS Flourocarbon. This rod was developed by Terry Baksay for jerkbaits. Usually will have be one of the above mentioned baits, or what ever the fish "tell" me to use...lol

Mini

TT,

I don't understand. If Fords are made in Mexico and carry the Ford logo you consider that American made? If BPS sells Curado's that are made and assembled in Tiawan you consider that American? I don't. Made in America means just that and more importantly the $$$ stays in america. Honda's are made in Ohio...excuse me, that's where they are assembled. They are MADE out of their parts which are MADE in Japan. No difference. Ford bought Jaguar, how do you sort that one out? American labor assembled them which profits a small section of the local economy (or a large section depending on the site). NAFTA and all of these trade defecits just nick me off. We export trillions in goods and are terrible about collecting our $$. It would be interesting to know how much green France and Germany owe the US right now. Call em' due.....make em' pay. Then let's see how they support us.

Mac, are GM's "American made". What say you?

TOXIC

Wow,

John just wanted to know about the jerkbaits we throw and a whole lot of politics gets thrown into the mix....gotta love this site!

For me, I just bought my first jerkbait (Lucky craft) to try out, still rather fish jigs or plastics. So...

Good luck John....

Tom

American made isnot what it used to be especially with the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). In order to have the claim "Made in America" a certain percentage of assembly and part manufacturing has to occur in the United States. Not ALL of the Honda parts for vehicles made in Ohio are from Japan. Alot of them are from right here in Detroit.

I personally think that the design and engineering shoudl be included because of the tremendous amount of jobs that they support should also have to be included in the formula for determining the "Made in USA" label.

FYI EVERY All Star Graphite Rod in the catalog are made in America by Americans in Houston Texas.

Mini

That's my point mini, All Star is made in America by Americans. That is a true blue American Company. I understand that multiple components can never be that simple in something as complicated as an auto vs a fishing rod but it does get my dander up when made in America doesn't have the meaning it used to. Just try to get anything that does not have forign components. That's not going to change but in my business I get to work in international banking and with the World Bank, if you could see the debts that some countries have with the USA and all of the aid and products we send to them without repayment. Wanna balance the Federal Budget?? Just collect what is due us from a couple of countries that have trade debt. Sorry to drag this political.....and TT I wasn't trying to get in your face, it just struck a nerve. We've got kids starving here and countries that have been leeching off us for decades.

TOXIC

I sure like to buy USA products and the closer they come from my home (central IL), the more I like them. With a worldwide market those lines start to blur; how much of Honda's common stock is owned by Americans? At least 100 shares that are in my wife's IRA. Japan's economy is in the REALLY deep do-do. So are those of countries in South America. Their stocks are dirt cheap. Been adding these to our IRAs. What do we define an American company? Ford and GM own some "foreign" automible companies (Saab, Volvo, Jaguar, etc.)

If we (USA stockholders) are the majority owners, Aren't they American companies and we just farm out the labor to the cheapest source?

I work for FoMoCo, we build the transmissions here in cincy for the power strokes, f250, navigators, expeditions, crown victs, all the lincons, converters for the f150's,explorers ect use to build the jag trans befor they went to a zf 6 speed, ect. and we do build quality parts If you are concerened if your truck is assembled in the usa then look at the sticker in the window it will show the plant,a small percentage are made in mexico. the few parts that we get from mexico (usually washers ect.) are GM delco parts. Its funny when I lived in japan they said U.S. stuff was no 1 here people say japanize stuff is. I try to buy american when possible the only rice burners I ever bought was when I lived in japan(they gave us really no choice). they are a closed market it took a act of there parliment to okay us rice and a example I bought a new stang for 15000 the year I left, when I got there went straight to the ford dealer there and same car was over 30k(1991). enough said buy what ya want but remeber the steal workers and auto workers, and what effects that trickle down to you eventually where caused buy. personally GM, Ford , dodge even though the germans own them now. look who owns the majority of the oil companies now(brits) and wonder why our gas prices are so high. americans keep giving america away.

Oh buy the way if ya want a new ford I have 10 X plans I can give away I dont think I have to be there. or you could go buy the ford copy toyota up to you but I have a friend that services toyotas and he says there junk for the most part.

I use rouges (both types) and rapala floaters

Sorry if you differ in opinion thats a luxury we have here in the US and I dont mean to piss anyone off. Its kinda like people say nitro is crap but alot of you say its usually the dealers fault same sort of applies here, does it make you mad it broke or the dealer just didnt fix it right after it did. Buy the way 10year USAF here. pray for your service men and women they are going to need it in the months ahead.

Tox,

Understand your point about wanting to buy American. For the most part, I prefer buying American made products when I can. With the global economy as it is today, we can never be assured that what we purchase is wholly owned, built, assembled here in the states.

As an example, many have touted the All Star rods as being truly American made. For the most part, I would tend to agree. However, I just read a description of one of their Saltwater rods, built with Fuji Eyes and Fuji reel seats.

The point being that we are never certain where the various parts, sub-assemblies or other items come from. Each of us chooses to put whatever 'American Made' label on items that we are comfortable with. This doesn't mean that my definition is acceptable to everyone, nor is someone else's.

Good discussion.

Tex

TT,

Thanks for understanding. I have to label myself part of the problem (or a hypocrite) I'm typing this on a Sony computer with my Sony Big Screen in the other room hooked up to my JVC DVD player and Onyko home theatre. I'm not saying trade is bad but there is really no accountability in international debt repayment. Likewise, like anotherdink said, Japan is a closed economy and just look at the goods we buy from them and yet do not have the chance to tap their market.

TOXIC

Gentlemen, don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not comfortable, I KNOW! LOL America has experienced a trade surplus (more exports than imports annually per capita according to the GNP) for nearly a decade. Fact is, we sell a LOT more than we buy. HOW is it you suppose we HAVE the stronges economy in the world? I would like to buy American whenever I can, as long as it's comparable in both quality and price. If a USA made product is both more expensive and made cheaper....I'm buying imports. It's the only way to send a clear message to US MFRs that they need to go back to the drawing board and build a better mouse trap. Just my .02.

Ok John,

Back to the original question about jerk baits: I use whatever Rob has in his boat at the time!!! Actually, after fishing with Rob one day, I like the Zoom flukes rigged with a stinger hook.

Bob G.

Try the XPS Twin Tailed Shad in place of the fluke. There are days they like a fluke better, but there is more action to the XPS bait.

Mini

Latest posts

Back