Were the larger fish there?

• Thread starter Jimmy Easterling
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
Fished a tourny this weekend and weighed in 5 bass for a total of 7.13 pounds. I pulled into this cove and within 1 1/2 hours I had caught about 8 keepers all from 12 to 16 inches and several more smaller. All came from 3-5.5 ft of water and the center of the cove was 25 ft deep. Were the larger fish there, maybe in deeper water? I made a half hearted attempt in the deeper water with jig and crank that produced nothing.

Probably, but I'd look for them at each point of the cove. The big gals should have moved up the hill strong this week with the moon full, but once they're done courting, they drop and go. (Or get run off like a Hooter's waitress come break of dawn! Right Mini?? :lol:;):cool::D ) Within a few days of egg drop, they'll tie the feedbag on and a bigger temptation is a good start. I like a weighted Super Fluke, C-rig Liz, or in overcast conditions and any chop, a big bladed Spbt. slow rolled or my favorite a Staysee 90 on heavy line or a big crank on big line to keep them from digger under the target. Giving that gal a reason to flare and feed generally means putting something substantial smack in her face without much effort needed to eat it. A few days later they'll gang up and start to school, decimating schools of bait and/or fry in a frenzy. (WOOHOO!!! Topwater time!!!) Pulling out from the harder, cleaner bottom bank areas for spawn, look for irregular features in 10-15' at or toward the main lakes points coming out from the cove(s) you're in and hit them hard and don't be afraid to hit them with multiple casts. These gals generally need a trigger to flip after a hard week of courting. (I've had to bang the same stump 10 or more times before my rod loads.) At least that's what I believe. You done good getting your sack quick, so don't discount your efforts. Just take a step back and start looking for cover on the way to the point(s) about where your big motor is setting instead of what's under the T/M. Great job and good luck! ;)

Good suggestions Mac, Eli and I had the same issues 3 weeks ago on a tourney here, we had our limit from 2 locations in the first 90 minutes, and kept culling but as JimmyE said we also could not find much bigger fish, so I think we should have moved to fish deeper on the points - Thanks DAN!

I left the cove in search of similar areas and then to the main lake on primary and secondary points with no success. On my three hour drive home I kept kicking myself for not backing off the bank where I found fish and fishing deeper. 18 lbs. took 1st place so it wouldn't have taken much to get there and you are probably right, they were under the boat and not in front of it. Just don't want to make the same mistake again, thanks.

Anytime! My tourney days are done and put away. (For now at least. ;) ) This pic from yesterday is why I fish now and couldn't be any happier!

DSC00022.JPG

EXACTLY right Dan!!!!!!! On ALL accounts :)

Well you learned from that trip so it was a good trip. I thinkg reflecting on a day of fishing is important. Somedays you leave the lake with I should have feeling , other days you feel that you did everything you could. My goal is to finish the day feeling that I tried everything I could to win.

I had the opposite issue 2 weeks ago. we could find small fish shallow and small fish deep, the bigger fish were 5-8 ft though. Took us a little bit to figure that out.

Latest posts

Back