water pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
I have now been a Nitro owner for 3 full years, a 2000 882 with a 2002 150 xr6. When I bought it the seller had it serviced and a new water pump installed. He recommended I have a new pump put on every 2 yrs...does that sound right? Thanks for your suggestions.

Eric

Eric,

I have always heard 3 years as a max. It's cheap insurance against an expensive potential problem, and you can do it yourself with a helper to drop the lower unit.

Eric, you do not have to replace the water pump every 2 years. Complete water pump consists of housing and hard parts. You should however replace the gaskets and impeller every 2 years. I replace mine every year, it is not hard to do. I like dropping the lower unit evert year, and grease the top of shaft (the part going into the head ) if they seize you cannot get the lower unit off, and you can throw the motor away. Make sure the grease is one purchased at the dealer. Sone grease wouldn't handle the heat and water.

Bubby:)

Bubby...Do you know of a site that shows the steps to do when changing the impeller/gaskets on a Merc, I did replace one in an Evinrude many years ago....thanks

Mike

Thanks guys...Im not sure if I will tackle this myself...but it will get done soon.

Eric

Sorry, just got in from work. However your questions were answered. If I can help you any other way, give me a shout.

Bubby:)

Latest posts

Back