Water in front compartment on Z6

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
Normally members post questions looking for help however in this case, I've sorted my problem and thought I would share the rectification.

I started getting water into the right side front compartment over the past few weeks and had fished in some bad rain and towed the boat so I thought it was just that. Then I fished a few times and 2 out of 3 I got water in the compartment and in the actual hull, not much, about half a bucket in total, but bloody annoying.

I just fished a 2 day tournament and here it is again! I checked every plug, hose, seal, rub rail, you name it but nothing. What confused me was why did once I got no water at all.

After one of those visions you have at about 3am and suddenly wake with a better idea then Einstien, I thought, I used the livewell and pumped it out many times throughout the day so not to always carry a full tank but the day it stayed dry, I didn't use the well at all, I was just pre fishing.

My 3am theory was maybe the hose clamp up under the gunnels where the fittings go through the hull were loose and the water then runs down the side of the hull, hits the first straker which leads to the front compartment. Pull the control box off, stuck my hand in and "HELLO" broken plastic clip. In my opinion, a ****ty quality clamp, worse though is clearly it was fitted before the top went on the hull and Nitro couldn't possibly spare an extra inch of hose to actually make it half easy to get to.

End of the day, an unusual place for leakage and I bet I'm not the only one. I've read many posts about leaks and anyone with a Nitro with the pump outs through the hull, have a look if you get any water in you lockers or hull.

My compartments get wet irregardless. Only dry spot I have in my 2013 Pro Team 175TF is the under seat storage boxes. Everything else smells damp or is totally soaked when it should be. On my boat I have vinyl flooring but in one spot you could see that at one time it had carpet (around front livewell lid interior) because pieces of the carpet still exist. Everyone of the damp/wet storage boxes are linked together by one vent and it vents out the port side rod box. I'm almost tempted to install a blower to help keep it well ventilated. BUT my point is I noticed that on the 175TXW model (which doesn't have a front livewell and has carpet throughout) they have aluminum lids and I have plastic SUPPOSELY sealed lids. I've determined that there is NO sealant on the ring around the box cutout. Kinda defeats the purpose of sealed lids don't it if it can just roll off and leak around the box right into it. Even does it on the dry boxes aft and into the bilge area (where it does have the ONLY aluminum lid), but again I noticed - no sealant to keep it out.

Thanks for posting your solution though. Once I put sealant on my lid compartments outside edges (under the lips) I'll report my findings. Working on re-wiring my pontoon boat and that's gonna take a while. Redoing my messy first time to make it more neat, and using 18ga for LED lighting I put all over it (for night fishing).

Never ending problem with a lot of causes. My "dry" storage underseat boxes in my 929 would have been better used as an aquarium. My Ranger was sooooo full of mold (all compartments, carpet and bilge) it took me 3 months to get it all out but it was stored under a bad cover and left for over a year. You couldn't even read the manufacturers name on the batteries it was so bad in the bilge.

Latest posts

Back