Warm Underwear?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Whritenour

Reaction score
Wanting to do some cold weather fishing this winter here in GA. Get's to be about 30 degrees or so.......can't afford the high dollar suits but am interested in investing some $ in some good long underwear.....I don't know much about all the high tech stuff out now....can any of you guys up North give me some advice?

Try the Wickers long under wear from Sierra Trading Post. They're usually 2nds and cheap. I live in Vermont, spend a lot of time outdoors when it's wicked freezing and I wear the mid-weight Wickers long underwear. They come in different weights. Layer with synthetic fleece and top off with a waterproof/windproof shell and you'll be warm. I wear BPS 100mph parka and bibs on the lake and Cabelas hunting outerwear in the woods.

Remember that cotton kills when it gets wet. And don't forget to try your PFD on with heavy clothing before getting out on the water.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=12149&cdf=TopSeller

Our water freezes here. We use extravegant ice houses with TV's and heat.:lol::lol:

Spend the money and get some insulated coveralls or a parka and bib set. Get the kind that is wind and rainproof. I bought some coveralls 3 yrs ago at Bass Pro when on sale for $100 and it is money well spent, maybe they are $140 now. You will not get cold. You will want to cover your face when on plane, and have a good pair of insulated boots. I use ragg wool gloves and cut out the tip of my right index finger and keep nice and warm. When it gets in the teens an 8 mile ride can get a little testy though.

Jimmy, I didn't realize bass boats would run on ice. That will lengthen my fishing season. Does it chew up the prop?

Down here 30 is freezing and it is cold but it only last for a few weeks and then it is springtime again. But we fish those cold weeks, h*ll this is the deep south, there ain't nothing else to do.

Walls Insulated coveralls from Wal Mart $40, warm arse, priceless! :lol: I've fished late Feb/early March here in Maryland with those and they do fine. Temps were alot lower than 30.

Scott

For me, UnderArmor cold weather long johns (top and bottom). Thin, lightweight and when thin layered, warmer than you will want to be. I already have enough bulk:lol: and do not want more in my cold weather gear. I do wear a 100mph suit when it is warranted. You will find that if you live where it is "moderate", the BPS Pro-Qualifier suit is cheaper, still gore-tex and will work fine. It will also double as a great rainsuit. What everyone forgets is that cold is a regional thing. Someone from the South gets just as cold in 30 degrees as someone in the North gets at minus 30!!:lol::lol: A fact I have learned here in Florida. When I first came down here, I was sitting at my buddy's house Halloween night in shorts and a t-shirt when a family came to the door in full fleece outfits:eek: They looked at me like I was from outer space!!:p And unlike Terri, I like to keep my underwear on when I fish.

TOXIC

But not when you put on Keelshields? OH THE HORROR!!!

Look at the Bass Pro XPS version of Under Armor. Save some coin. The midweight is the warmest I have tried.

Mini

I have a set too......wear'em hunting as a base layer,.....they are awesome. Every bit as good as UA and le$$!

I have some mid weight and heavyweight thermals from Easter Mountian Sports that are the best i have tried. The ones i use are thier house brand techwick line. I have done everything from fish in a snowstorm on 30 degree day in NH to sit thru a football game with a windchill of -10 in these and i have never been cold. Check the link below, that is the heavyweight top and they have mid and lightweight tops and bottoms too.

One tip i can give you, pay attention to your feet as well. You need warm socks that will keep your feet dry(I like real wool because they will wick away moisture and still be warm) and a good set of insulated boots. Since you will be standing pretty much idle your feet will get cold fast.
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4012882

I fish in South Tx, which is about the same as you. I just use the standard cotton thermals, a pair of jeans and rain bibs , on the bottom, and cotton thermals, two additional layers and a jacket that will stop the wind. For my feet I use Smart Wool brand socks and take two pair of shoes with me on the boat. I have a pair of insulated water proof boots and normal sneakers. My whole process is based on the premise that it is easier to take clothes off than to add them on.

Rommel - I'm in Canton, GA, if its 30 just normal Thermals under my jeans/sweat shirt. If its colder or windier, then I use my full camo coveralls.

Latest posts

Back