Wacky rigging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
I am just starting to learn to fish plastics after mainly using crankbaits for a year. I've been mainly using plastic worms Texas rigged with a 3/16 sinker pegged and unpegged. Been having pretty good luck but was wondering what sort of hook and worm to use for wacky rigging and what kind of retrieve method do you use? Do you use them around docks and other cover and just let them drop? I also wondered if I should try a 5" Senko Texas rigged weightless or with weight and just let it fall around docks, etc.? Thanks in advance from this beginner!

Senko's are best worked weightless on light line (6-8lb). I never weight mine. You can nose hook and wacky hook (in the middle) if you are in open water. Dropshot if you are in deeper water and even c-rig them (the only time I weight them). Hook size depends on the size of the Senko and how it is fished. For flipping under docks, a 9 series on a 3.0 ewg Gamakatsu wire hook, TX rigged and skin hooked, will do the trick just fine!!

TOXIC

TOX -

I've never tried wacky either; always nosed hooked them.

Do you use the EWG worm hook when you wacky rig them as well? Or does a shorter shanked hook work better?

me?

"Usually" nose hooking or middle/wacky/trick rigging (North/South thing) is reserved for the shorter 4 inch (9s) senkos and are used a lot for dropshotting. Corey's friend was throwing wacky (middle hooked) senkos on the Wolf river and had some luck. Dropshotting is usually done with a straight shank, fine wire, #1 brass hook (not a 1.0). I usually downsize to a 2.0 or 1.0, ewg, fine wire Gamakatsu hook for the 9s's and they can be rigged both ways with those hooks. Keep in mind that exposed hook rigging will hang you up a lot if there is any kind of cover or grass. I c-rigged the smaller Senkos with a 3.0 in Wisconsin and slayed em' in deep water.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back