Using Side Imaging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
If you're like me and don't quite get the whole side imaging thing, have a look at this video. I have struggled getting it into my head and every time I think, yep, got it, 10 mins later I'm doubting myself.

This is the easiest and best explanation I have ever seen on SI and finally, I get it!! Yee haa!!!!o_O

Good Video.....gotta get me a side image (lol). The only problem is the cash.

Way back when, we would rotate our transducer to the side of the bank we were running (ole timer side scan). I still do that every so often just to see what the bank looks like and I can spot bait fish. I get some of the locals giving me strange looks when I am looking at the depth/fish finder and casting to the bank.

cq

Here is a dumb question....I was just on Lowerance website looking at a few goodies. Looking at some still frame shots of down imaging on a Elite 7x HDI. The clarity is amazing. How wide of a path is this taking i the frame?

Scott

Here is a dumb question....I was just on Lowerance website looking at a few goodies. Looking at some still frame shots of down imaging on a Elite 7x HDI. The clarity is amazing. How wide of a path is this taking i the frame?

Scott
What you see displayed in the "frame" is a history of what was scanned and recorded one vertical pixel row at a time. The width of the DS sonar pulse is about what the 2D sonar pulse is. Just the information is displayed differently. The transducer is not a camera and the display is not a video monitor.
An imaging pulse is very thin front to back and wide to the sides somewhat like a CAT scan used in hospitals. That is how it produces that type image. Traditional 2D sonar pulses are a somewhat inverted cone shape.

Latest posts

Back