Urinal cookies

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
A buddy of mine asked me if I bought urinal cookies yet. He said I should make slits in a couple of them, and place them under the cover when I store the boat this winter (in a barn). He claims this will keep mice out of the boat. Is this true or BS? I have the motor covered, but could use some tips on winterizing the interior if you will. I didn't think much about it because the guy said he baits his buildings. Better safe than sorry..

I work with urinal cookies........lucky me. Not sure about mice but if you do put them in your boat put them in our on something as they will leach into fabrics/carpets.

I use dryer sheets in my travel travel, seems to work for me.

I used to own a pest control company and the urinal blocks (fisherman's mints :lol: ) can be used for a couple of things. I would not put them in the boat, they will do the same thing as mothballs, probably work but who want their boat smelling like grandma's closet or the bathroom at a football game?:wacko: Dryer sheets will sometimes work but I have heard of the mice making nests out of them!! Cinnamon or peppermint oil on cotton balls in a bowl will also work and at least have a better smell. I used to use the urinal blocks crushed up as snake deterrent. It burns their skin and they'll vacate pretty quickly. You can scatter the crushed up blocks around your foundation as well and it will get rid of insects.....until it rains a couple of times. Same goes for mothballs.

TOXIC

Keeping mice out of boats, camps, etc is a pain. I have tried mothballs, peppermint oil and dryer sheets to no avail.

I keep my boat in a heavy duty Shelter Logic garage during the winter. I keep all of the compartments open, mice like dark enclosed areas. Since I live in an area that gets low temps and lots of snow, mice look for places to get into in the Fall before Winter sets in. I also keep an Adirondack Mouse Trap in the boat garage. It's a bucket with a dowel through drilled holes near the top of the bucket and a peanut can. Spread peanut butter around the peanut can. Take a 1"x1" stick with a nail through the end and prop it on the edge of the bucket near the end of the dowel. Also put anti-freeze in the bucket. The mouse walks up the stick, eats peanut butter, cans rolls and the mouse falls in the ant-freeze and drowns cuz it can't get out. :eek: :lol: I posted a link of something similar to what I use.

At my camp, I keep an Adirondack Mouse Trap inside, but have not had a mouse get into the interior. They have been in between the main ceiling and the suspended ceiling. I have a few mouse traps above some ceiling tiles along with a box that they can enter, but not leave. This is kind of a pain. My new approach at camp is to kill them before they enter. I have a bunch of mouse bait stations around the perimeter. Each one has a 1oz Tomcat mouse killer block. They enter, eat some bait and disappear. I've been monitoring each one and noticed that they are not been eaten away as much. Good sign that they are dwindling and the rest will have to find somewhere else to live. In case you haven't noticed, I hate mice in my stuff!! Link to mouse bait stations below. Tractor Supply sells the bait by the bucket.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/protectajr_rtularge.JPG

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...293d1266715312-inexpensive-mouse-trap-mt2.jpg

Ah, that is great. I will verify this guy baits his buildings and will bring pictures of that inexpensive mouse trap if he doesn't! I may bring pics either way. Thanks.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/164327-inexpensive-mouse-trap.html

It sounds like there is no sure winner for IN the boat, as a secondary defense.. I may try drier sheets AND cinnamon oil...

I have put dryer sheets in mine for years no mice I also put a pack of mouse poison on a ice cream bucket lid so far no takers I did leave the tarp back one spring when I put the batteries in early and had the charger on them when I went to take it out I found a cat and kittens in the storage comp up front with the life jackets she went under the console and around the edge to the front that was a gross mess to clean up. not all the kittens were alive. So keep your tarp on all the time!

Bob G. That's amazing I have the same mouse set up but didn't know what it was called. The metalshop teacher at my school had students making them to raise money. They're slick. I used to use mothballs but now I make sure my carpet is clean of food crumbs(I discourage eating things like chips, and cookies) keep any thing that the mice can use as a gangway to climb aboard out of play. I don't have much of a problem. I keep my boat in my brothers shed and he has five cats I just need to button up tight enough to keep them out.

fatrap

One thing I do when I set up for deer season is install a rubber plug in the pee hole. l have a large bright colored tag attached. Reason is for dirt dobbers.

cq

TEE go log in with your old password....you will get all of your old count back and also the NTOWS Member banner.
If not, go to the site news and ping the mods.

Latest posts

Back