URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - Lindy rig with Planner boards???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Rich

Reaction score
Gents - I am taking my father out fishing for Walleye and Trout tonight on my local lake. Depth is anywhere from 8-30 feet. We are planning on bouncing some crawlers on the bottom using a lindy rig. Is it possible to do this with planner boards, or would the depth be too inconsistent? Is a Lindy rig best fished right off the back of the boat? I would like to have as many lines out as I can so I thought maybe 2 off the back and 2 on planner boards off the side. Any opinions, thoughts or advice??? Thank you in advance for your replies! I am heading out in a couple of hours so I was hoping for quick advice.

I've never fished with planner boards, wouldn't even know how to begin and wanting an answer in a couple of hours via a forum would be darn near impossible.

Haha. You get what you pay for! Thanks for the response though, AirForce. Turns out you can use planner boards dragging crawlers on the bottom. Doesn't mean it will catch fish though;)

Quite often we pull crawlers off the bottom behind boards. Usually do it with bottom bouncers in front of a crawler harness. Sorry I missed your post. Anytime you have a question about walleye ideas, techniques, etc. please post here/or and email me through this site. I fished the walleye tournament circuits for yeas till 2005. There isn't a single mistake that I haven't made over and over again Now I just chase them for fun.

The last time I saw a planner board being used, the yahoo had them rigged backwards. It was funny watching him, he was so proud of these boards because he had made them himself. Had a very long laugh, specially after all the bragging before we hit the water. I like drift fishing with Bakies special worm harness, best in 3 to 4 footers, that is when you find out who has sea legs.

cq

Good news is that we don't get 3-4 footers on CO lakes unless the wind really kicks up. Planner boards seem to work well pulling husky jerks and what not. I have been successful like that. I did try trolling crawlers on the bottom with a 1/2oz weight dropped below a 2 ft leader with 2 snelled hooks using a 3-way swivel. We didn't catch squat, but it was a slow night for everyone. Post spawn on the walleyes and they just weren't biting. Thanks for your advice guys.

@St Rich, we liked the western basin of Lake Erie, problem is it is shallow. Any wind and you had nice waves and swells. We were killing the Eye's one day, and I mean killing them, I had my limit in two hours, storm kicked up and we fought 10 footers from West Sister Island back to Turtle Creek and we were in a 26 footer. It is a good haul from the shipping channels back to port. We caught some really nice Eye's that day.

cq

planer boards are only going to spread your lines out. what ever is on the the end of your line will do what it does. great way to cover ground.

You guys that do the planer boards, I assume this is for lakes that don't have a lot of junk on the bottom for those boards to hang up on right? I need to do some research on that stuff.

I use mine (reels w/large boards) trolling shallower depths and top water for lake trout in colder weather. There's nothing that says you couldn't drag the bottom I just wouldn't put more than 1 line out with boards. Any more than that and you have a snag on your outside line you have a better than good chance that you'll tangle what ever lines you have before that one. Hooking more fish than you have hands for is always a good time. Great for bass too, I know the tournament bass guys love trolling, live bait too:) If there is enough space they allow you to cover a tremendous area.

Think of an outrigger, same principle. Ocean fishing we ran 3 flat lines and 2 outriggers.

cq

Latest posts

Back