Update on my Brother In law

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich D

Reaction score
It has been a while, but here is a progress report on Russ. I have been playing chess with him Friday nights. He has trouble thinking more than one move in advance, but is improving. Here is my sister's email.

"Hi - Hope all is well. I know it has been a few weeks since I have updated you on Russell's condition. Let me start by saying today is Russell's birthday. He made it to age 41. Today truly is a celebration of life.

Russ has been seizure free for 2 1/2 months. That's great progress for him. Before that he had not been able to go 3 weeks without a seizure. The new medication is definitely working.

The therapist's tell us that Russ has passed the developmental point were he was prior to the seizure in January. Finally, he is moving forward. He has become more mobile, has quickened his pace, and is able to sit up and stay awake for longer periods of time. Russ still leans a little to the left when he walks but they are working on that also.

Russ still blesses us with his unique vocabulary. Words that you wouldn't want to share with small children or have him speak, loudly in public; but he does. However, this is slowly getting better also. In therapy they are also working on memory skills, time concept and telling the truth. Yes Russ can still tell a good story. They continually reinforce to Russ that he is making progress. They even have Russ assist another brain injury patient. His name is Jesse. This gives both of them hope. Russ gets to see first hand how far he has come and Jesse gets to see how far he can advance with time. Time - that is the key word in our lives right now.

As Russell's mind heals, he has come to a better understanding of his injuries and limitations. For the first time, he has admitted that he doesn't think he will ever be able to get back up on a roof or scaffolding. Not because of a fear of falling but because he has lost his agility and sense of balance. He hopes someday he will be able to drive and work in his garage doing all the things he loves.

The healing process is difficult, coming to terms on how our lives have changed forever, for both of us...actually for all of us. As Russ heals and realizes his limitations we all realize he will not be the same man or should I say BOY he once was. When the kids and I think of Russ, we see dirt bikes, snowmobiles, skiing, racing with the kids on the street in the summer, playing softball, hiking, biking, being able to fix anything, baseball cap backwards, that devilish grin, always rearing to go to have a good time.. No doubt times will still be good but they will be different. Different than what our family has experienced. Imagine, Russ and Caren acting their age.

The best part of our lives being different so far has been the special bonds we have formed with each other and all of you. There is not a day that goes by that I do not realize how blessed we are to have such wonderful group of friends and family ."

Thanks

Rich D

I can't even begin to imagine what all of you are going through.....

God Bless!

me!

Thanks for the update, Rich. I have been wondering how Russ is doing. Wow, it sure makes you thankful for your health and realize just how fragile life is. You just never know when lighting will strike.

Send my best wishes to Russ and your sister.

Harpo

Good news Rich! Of course my prayers and best wishes are still going out to Russ and your sister.. Thanks for this update. I needed some good news.

Bill

Rich, thanks for the update. It reminds me that we are only granted a short time here anyway, so live life as full as you can. For some, such as Russ, the journey is challenged with a detour that we don't understand. Truth is, Russ probably has a better attitude and appreciation for the simple things than we do.

My family's hopes and prayers are with Russ and the family and all the best to all of you guys.

Bruce Moore

Rich,

Wow. Very moving story. I am gald that the healing is goign well for all of you.

CArlos

Thanks Rich... We all feel like friends of your family and are pleased that things are better every day...

Thanks all.

Russ is getting excited for trout season right now. His brothers plan on taking him to their camp for opening day. He got his liscense last week and even took a trip out to the Cabela's in Wheeling. He was a little upset when they got home because my sister wouldn't let him spend enough money!!! LOL!! He had a good birthday though and said he is ready for our next chess match. We normally play two games. The first game I play without giving him any assistance to see how he is progressing. During the second game, if he moves a piece in danger, I will ask him if that is really the move he wants to make and to study the board a minute... Finally, someone I can beat in chess!

Rich D

Latest posts

Back