Trolling motor question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Well, I think I've decided to just try a self-repair on the damage to my boat, and order a new cover. That leaves me some of the insurance money to tinker with, but I'm not sure what would be the best return on investment (since Wall Street is in the tank).

One option would be to have the boat completely recarpeted. Mine is wearing thin, and I found a shop that would do it for a few hundred bucks.

The other option would be to replace my anemic trolling motor (Motorguide 52lb. 12-volt) with something that has a little more umph in it, like a Minn Kota Maxxum 24-volt 80lb. This would also require adding another battery and upgrading the onboard charger to a 3-bank.

Ignoring the fact that the missuz surprised me by cracking the door open on upgrading to a new(er) boat, where would you put the money - carpet or trolling motor?

I have always been a fan of the upgrade that will make the boat better at catching fish. So my money would go towards the new TM. Sell the old trolling motor and put that money towards the carpet.

I've never replaced carpet but I have upgraded the trolling motor from 12 to 24v. It wasn't easy but still bet it's easier than carpet and I will have to go with Jeff on catching more fish.

Neither puts more fish in the boat.

From a resale standpoint, I would be more turned off by bad carpet than a slightly underpowered TM.

Do not ignore the cracked door! Push it full open and buy the dang boat before it closes. When opportunity knocks, don't ask "who's there?"

Your boat needs a larger TM to combat the big MO lakes; end of discussion.

So, to sum up--new boat, new TM, new carpet--that order.

Save th emoney for the new boat. Trade yours in and spend the $$ on the new ride.

Unfortunately I won't be able to think about a new boat until I finish grad school (no grants or scholarships, only loans) as we're paying tuition out of pocket. The good news is that by the time I graduate, our mortgage will be paid off as well. I'll have a good case of three-foot-itis with 75-horsepower envy by then.

Last night I asked the wife what she thought about recarpeting the boat. She said, "Why? It's a fishing boat. Shouldn't the carpet look crappy anyway?"

So far the vote is 2 to 1 in favor of upgrading the trolling motor. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Yep id opt for the upgraded TM too. A Minnkota Maxxim pro 80 is a pretty nice unit.

Do the TM, something that actually helps the performance. I am in the same boat:p my seats are pretty well done, my carpet is 100% worn out (actually to the floor in some spots) and what did I do?......You got it, I put a new troller upfront:lol:

TOXIC

Get the trolling motor then. Thats the same one I have....but I think I need more oomph on my Ranger.

Latest posts

Back