trolling motor issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark barton

Reaction score
I have a 2004 foot control motor guide. when pushing the toe down or heel down to steer from neutral position(meaning level) it pushes very hard and squeaks. goes back to the neutral position easier, has like a sticking point. I am not to familiar with the inner workings of the trolling motor. was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom. thanks for any input. really enjoy being part of this website it is very helpful.

I used MotorGuides for 20 years. I only had 2 units during that time. They always worked great. Sounds like you need alittle grease around underneath the head where the 2 cables wrap around. Also the bearing can be oiled. The lower shaft could be slightly bent and the lower shaft bearing isn't adjusted right with the set ring. That uses an allen wrench to tighten. There are plastic bushing in the pedal that might worn out. Check those too.

I had similar issues with a #75 thrust MotorGuide bow mount. I'd toe it or heel it and it would just whip around, out of control. I totally fixed it with this product:

http://www.trollperfect.com/Pages/default.aspx

You most likley have a bent shaft. Even a slight bend would cause that.

greased the bearings in the shaft and seems to being working better, thanks for the input. Also was looking to switch to min kota and was wondering if mounting holes lined up with the old holes from the motor guide and if this is something I could do on my own?

Latest posts

Back