Transom Saver

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cq

Reaction score
Coming home yesterday on a 4 lane highway, speed limit 65mph but most drive 70, I saw a nice Ranger with two power poles and a 250 hp outboard. My problem in seeing this rig was the outboard was bouncing all over the place and I did not see a transom saver of any type. I was passing this rig so I could not look very hard but I could easily see the outboard bouncing.
Shouldn't you use some type of transom saver?

This debate goes around periodically,. Let me state up front, I use one from the lower unit to the frame, then transom straps pulled down tight so that the whole thing (boat, motor and trailer) is like a big solid triangle. Others use only the "stop" built into the motor; and it bounces. People argue that my way (solid triangle) risks harm to the lower unit by sending all the road induced vibration to the lower unit. My choice was to avoid stress to the transom and the hydraulics.... Let the debate begin.....again.

I have always used one. I just hate that the transom is flexing that much. That 250 was really bouncing and I would hate to buy the boat and find the transom in need of repair. My 2 cents.

I admit on my 60, I'm in a hurry so I use the tilt lock on the motor and let her ride. Now if I can find something better so I don't have to get on my knees to complete the connection I'd go for that. But I do tie my down tight with the straps so it won't bounce. on the trailer.

I use a transom tie down from my motor to the trailer frame. I have never had any problems this way. The other thing I do is once my boat is on the trailer I put my boat in gear so the prop does not spin going down the road. This way I am not wearing out the bearings in the lower unit. When it is tilted up the gear lube does not cover all the gears good. They can run dry if the prop is spinning going down the road. With it in gear the prop does not spin.

can't do that on a new mercury, motor has to be running to put it in gear or you can damage the cables

I have a 2009 150 optimax and the Bass pro mech. told me to do this. I have done it since it was new and have not had any problems yet. I do not force it in gear.

I admit on my 60, I'm in a hurry so I use the tilt lock on the motor and let her ride. Now if I can find something better so I don't have to get on my knees to complete the connection I'd go for that. But I do tie my down tight with the straps so it won't bounce. on the trailer.
The transom saver I have now pins to the trailer, but the one on my 115 and 50 hp was a u cup to the trailer roller. I raised the motor attached the transom saver and slowly lowered the motor and guided the u cup to the roller. Never had to bend over. If I travel any distance I use my saver but now I just travel about 20 yds and don't worry about it. OBTW my 10hp was just placed in the bottom of the jon boat.:D

Airforce, I have a 115hp mercury and attwood make a tilt bracket that very simply clips on to the motor brackets then yout trim your engine din and it's locked solid. No getting on your knees, no transom flex because the engine is "balanced" no connection to the trailer So no shock, these are the bset brackets out there

You must be referring to their Lock-n-Stow product.

Lock-N-Stow-10309-rgb_fu.jpg

That is NOT made for a Mercury under 75hp 4 stroke (doesn't fit) See 10108 here http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/lock-n-stow

I'm still on the waiting list to be notify WHEN they might make one - but after 2 yrs, I've decided I'll be dead and buried before it comes out for my motor :(

Thats the one airforce, the one I use on my 115 says it doesn't fit either but it actually does.

I reckon your local fabricator would make you one for about $50
You must be referring to their Lock-n-Stow product.

Lock-N-Stow-10309-rgb_fu.jpg

That is NOT made for a Mercury under 75hp 4 stroke (doesn't fit) See 10108 here http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/lock-n-stow

I'm still on the waiting list to be notify WHEN they might make one - but after 2 yrs, I've decided I'll be dead and buried before it comes out for my motor :(

I found this lock and stow on Amazon for less than 65.00 that fits the 150 optimax. I have prime so I got free two day shipping and no tax. Thanks for the information.

When you need a new transom saver check out Motor Mate. I have been using it on my 115hp Optimax and it is a superior product.

I have already bought the lock and stow. It works great on my 150 optimax. Thanks for the info I will check it out for the future.

Latest posts

Back