Transom repair in Nitro 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike daniels

Reaction score
Folks,

I have a 2000 Nitro 175 and found something alarming when replacing my old Humminbird 300tx transducer. When I removed the screws, brown water came weeping out. more of a stream than a weep. I started weeping as well because I knew that was $$$$ pouring out those holes.

I've left the holes open to drain and haven't checked in a day but I have a suspicion that the rot has gone all over the transom. Not long after I bought the boat the two ubolts no the transom the trailer straps hook to started leaking the same brown ooze. I took them out. blew them out real good to dry them then filled the holes with silicone and reassembled. No more brown ooz from them since them. Not spotting this I fear the while transom has soaked up water.

The boat is not stored in the water but has been left in the water for a week at a time of vacations. plenty of time to saturate the wood. :(

Has anyone had their transom replaced and how much did it cost?

Get it to a qualified shop to check out. There are options and depending on the amount of damage you might get lucky.

TOXIC

I've actually heard of guys tearing the wood out and fabricating an aluminum brace. Although to me that sounds like too much work. Can't say that I haven't done my fair share only on aluminum though;)

There is a youtube vid where a guy replaced his own transom with seacast?

I've looked at that.

There is some other pour in transom repair stuff as well.

Looks like DIY with purchasing a engine hoist and chain saw (to dig out the rotted wood would run $500 to $700 + LOTS of time.

The locat boat guy wants to replace the entire transom for 2200 (glassed plywood) or 2450 for ceramic. I don't know if that ceramic is the same thing as seacast (or its competitors) or not. :(

B. O. A. T..............

:wacko:

Latest posts

Back