Transom bolt leak in 2003 NX 882

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Carter

Reaction score
I noticed about a 1/8" gap in the top starboard jackplate/transom bolt area. There was a little play in the jackplate when I lifted the motor. Inside the bilge the flat washer, which was about 1 1/2" diameter, had been pulled into the fiberglass causing "star" cracks on the fiberglass and some bending of the washer. The cracks appear to be superficial. There has been water intrusion into the bilge from where the bolt has play in it, not a lot, but enough for me to look for the source.

I took it to a repair shop today and we discussed supporting the transom and mounting bolts with something similar to T H Marine transom support plate on the top bolts. The mechanic believes this will fix it, unless the water intrusion caused internal damage to the transom. He never said that there was wood in the transom that could be rotted, but he hinted that it could be a BIG problem if there was anything wrong with the transom.

I was under the impression that the entire boat, except for the stringers, was composite and that the stringers were encased in composite. I don't thing the shop is trying to pull one over on me, he is one of the most honest people I know, and he told me that if the transom had major problems, he didn't do that type of repair.

How bad will it have to be before I have to worry about replacing or doing major repairs to the transom? Is there wood in the transom that could have rotted?

I have a 2000 882 that had the same problem......I removed the top two jack plate bolts, got a 1/2 inch piece of steel, cut it to fit in between the stringers, got longer bolts and nylon insert locknuts from a marine supply store, after tightening everything down I sprayed it with Flex Seal.....believe it or not, that stuff works.....haven't had any water issues since and it closed the gap on the outside of the transom between the boat and the jack plate....and yes, there is some wood in mine.

Eric

The NX 882 has a glassed over wolmanized wood transom. You should really assess the amount of water intrusion you have experienced ASAP. If the wood has sat saturated and rotted, you could have an extremely dangerous situation waiting to happen under power in the water. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck! ;)

Had a 2005 882 that did the exact same thing. Didn't notice it until there was about a 3/4" gap at the top. Dealer tightened it up and put a plate on it. Not a problem after that.

Dan is right....I had mine looked at by a marine tech before I did the work....luckily, the area was in good shape.... except for the limited work space in the bilge area, it wasn't too hard to fix.

Eric

The only thing that moved when we put pressure on the motor was the bolt. I'm hoping that since the transom didn't flex, then it will be ok. Like Eric, the mechanic had a piece of flat steel stock that was about 3/8" thick that he was going to cut to size and brace the top bolts, if the transom looked ok otherwise. I was #12 in line, so it will be a few days before I know if it is good or bad news.

Dan, I agree with you 100%. That's why I took it to the shop. I know just enough to be dangerous and like Dirty Harry says, "A man has got to know his limitations".

Yep Dan is spot on. There is wood in there and if its at all soft or rotted you want to address it now if you can. I have lived thru this stuff in the past and like Dan implied you really need to get that transom checked out to make sure its safe.

As far as the composite thing goes. Technically the transom is. Composite by definition is an engineered material made up of two or more components with different chemical properties. Plywood(wood and glue)is a composite material as is fiberglass (glass mat and resin). I think that term has been used by marketing teams in the marine industry to make their boats sound better than they really are. Unless it says 100% fiberglass or no wood construction its tough to tell what its really made of.

I think ALL motors 150hp and up should come standard with the interior backing plate on the transom. My 929 had one that had NITRO engraved in it as OEM factory issue. Now that's not to say I didn't have an issue....my bolts backed off as well (even with regular checks) and almost sunk me one day on the water. Dropped clients off at their cabin, went to take off and couldn't get on plane.....Opened rear deck lid and the water was up to the top of my batteries. Thought I had some bad plumbing but it ended up being the through bolts that although tight, had wallowed out the sealant and let water in when torqued (not at rest).

Toxic - Did you have any damage to the transom from the water? I haven't heard from the shop yet, so I am contemplating a "worse case" scenario in my head.

No it did not. But I caught it very quickly. After you have had your boat a while you get what I call "in tune" with it. I could tell if the motor was not running just the right way, if it didn't get on plane just the right way, how it ran WOT, etc. What I am saying is that I am pretty sure I would have noticed an unusual amount of water in the bilge.

Great news! No damage to the transom. Steel reinforcement plate installed and new mounting bolts. $84 total, parts & labor.

Thanks to everyone for the "hand holding".

Latest posts

Back