Transducer Location on 640 lx?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Simard

Reaction score
Just got my Matrix 37 (thank you Greg Walters)Now its time to install it on my 640 lx,The question is,what is the best location for the transducer and how to route the wires for a transom mount on this boat? If anyone has any pics of the rear of their boat where the transducer is mounted please let me know ,The transducer now is mounted in the hull, so there is nothing on the transom at all,I dont mind drillin a small hole for the cable ,I just dont want to screw it up! Thanks in advance for any help -Mike

follow the steering cabels out of the transom. you shouldn't have to drill any holes for the wires.

did you consider putting the transducer in the bildge?

then you wouldn't have to drill any holes for the transducer bracket. there may not be enough room in the 640. just a thought.

GregD

GregD is right (he is a "Greg" after all!), install the transducer in the bilge area if you can. More and more its getting harder and harder to install a transducer on the transom of a boat and have it work at high speeds. I helped a guy last week pick a place to install a transducer on the transom of his Ranger 521VX (512VX?); with all the steps and curved areas it has he ended up with two choices and they were 'good' and 'not so good'... I convinced him after his tournament this last weekend to get it install inside the hull in the bilge area.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

I installed mine right in the middle portion of the bildge about 3 1/2 inches in front of the drain hole. Lightly sand the floor to smooth, and lightly sand the puck to smooth and set with adhesive. Se a brick on top of it to force the air bubbles out as it dries and your done. Mine works perfect. I have a temp sensor wire on mine which I just ran out through the wiring harness hole and Zip tied it to the Speedo wire so no drilling was required.

I installed mine on my 700 LX (Virtually the same boat) right next to the existing one that the factory epoxied in the hull. There seemed to be an orange opening in the resin skin that was meant for the transducer to be located there and it seemed that I had enough room to locate a second transducer right there.

You may find the same thing. If so, get some epoxy resin and epoxy another xducer down in the hull of your boat and you should be fine. Make sure there are no bubbles in the mix when you lay the resin down. It should cure within 24 hours (Don't use quick curing stuff).

Mine works fantastic with my Matrix 37.

Back