Transducer flopping loose, how do I remount?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a used '99 Nitro 882 last year (mint shape!) and everything has been running fine until the other day. My console Hummingbird stopped reading anything. All the diagnostics passed, etc.

I finally tracked down where the transducer is (under the cranking battery in with the well pumps/drain). But it seems that it is no longer mounted - it is just floating around. There is nothing to attach it to, so how do I get it reattached?

I've tried searching and it seems maybe I need to epoxy it down? There is a nice white smooth plastic patch where it seems it goes, but I'm not sure. Anybody have any advice on how to proceed? It is a bit uncomfortable speeding along without our depth showing :)

Thanks

Chris, it has indeed broken loose from the epoxy. That's not unusual after a few years, especially when you consider all the bouncing around on the water and trailering.
I have succesfully re-mounted transducers in the same location before but, you may want to pick another spot near where it was (be sure it reads well first).
There are several things to keep in mind when re-mounting; First be sure the area is clean and dry, also it's a good idea to roughen up the area (new or old spot), with some sand paper. Make sure the transducer is clean of old epoxy as best you can. Use a slow curing epoxy (marine grade), applied to the mounting spot and the transducer. Push it in with a slight left/right turning to displace any air bubbles. BUBBLES ARE BAD! If you can place a small sand bag on transducer and let it dry/cure for a couple of days.

Thanks all for the suggestions and such - I finally got in there, got it all dried out, but now I see another potential problem. It looks like it did not pull the transducer away from the fiberglass, but it seems that there was a layer of plastic film attached to the transducer, and it was epoxied to the fiberglass - it is the layer between the plastic film and the transducer that has pulled away. I attached a picture that hopefully shows what I am talking about. Do I need to somehow scrape the epoxy off the fiberglass and then reattach, or can I somehow glue it to the green plastic film?

IMGP0760.jpg

Looks like you're going to have to remove those hoses anyways. Me I'd take a small grinder and clean that up. You don't want to epoxy on top of that. You want it as clean as possible WITHOUT getting into the fiberglass (just my opinion mind you)

Looks like you're going to have to remove those hoses anyways. Me I'd take a small grinder and clean that up. You don't want to epoxy on top of that. You want it as clean as possible WITHOUT getting into the fiberglass (just my opinion mind you)

Surely no one was stupid enough to leave the protective tape on the face of the transducer when it was installed !!!!!
Thanks all for the suggestions and such - I finally got in there, got it all dried out, but now I see another potential problem. It looks like it did not pull the transducer away from the fiberglass, but it seems that there was a layer of plastic film attached to the transducer, and it was epoxied to the fiberglass - it is the layer between the plastic film and the transducer that has pulled away. I attached a picture that hopefully shows what I am talking about. Do I need to somehow scrape the epoxy off the fiberglass and then reattach, or can I somehow glue it to the green plastic film?

IMGP0760.jpg

The only substance between the transducer face and hull should be slow cure epoxy without any air bubbles.

What is the green plastic and why are air pockets visible on it?????

Certainly no one was ignorant enough to leave the shipping tape on the transducer face when it was installed !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does look like it doesn't it. I mean I've NEVER seen that before. First for everything.

Does look like it doesn't it. I mean I've NEVER seen that before. First for everything.

You best course of acttion is to chip out all the epoxy down to the fiberglass, sand the surface somewhat smooth, clean up the dust and particles, lightly sand the transducer face, and then install the transducer properly.
As mush as possible force most of the new slow cure epoxy and all the air from under the transducer, let it set for 24+ hours before use.

Surely no one was stupid enough to leave the protective tape on the face of the transducer when it was installed !!!!!

The only substance between the transducer face and hull should be slow cure epoxy without any air bubbles.

What is the green plastic and why are air pockets visible on it?????

Certainly no one was ignorant enough to leave the shipping tape on the transducer face when it was installed !!!!!!!

That green plastic sounds like what you are talking about, possibly the shipping tape. I could peel it right off of there if I wanted to - I lifted one corner and it started coming up but I stopped until I got more information. I got the impression that was a factory/dealer install, not aftermarket - but since this is used, I really don't know for sure.

Any suggestions on "easy" ways of getting that old epoxy out without chipping/grinding a hole through the bottom of my boat :)

I’ve seen the protective plastic film left on the transducer before but I have never seen it turn green. To my knowledge we have only used clear or solid white plastic on the bottoms of the transducers.
Your best option is to grind the old epoxy out as others have stated. Rough up the surface of the boat and transducer before epoxying in place one again and do as Wayne suggested and force out all possible epoxy under the transducer. It’s a pain to do it but once done right it should last for many years.

Latest posts

Back