Trailer Wiring Problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy McFall

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a Jon Boat trailer. I purchased a set of tail lights that came with the regular wiring bundle for the trailer. I ran the wires (yellow and yellow/brown down the drivers side and the green and green brown down the passenger side). I was putting the tail lights up on some post to keep them out of the water so I had to add some additional wiring to each side. I spliced the wires together and taped them up good and then connected them to the tail lights. The wiring came with a white ground wire running from the plug that was about 14 inches long. It would only reach back to the trailer coupler so I drilled a hole in the coupler plate and attached the ground there. I did sand the paint off really well so it could get a good ground. When I got it all hooked up the tail lights worked ok. However, when I would turn one of the signal lights on both sides on the trailer would blink. I took a test light and the side that the blinker was actually turned on for, the test light would come on bright. On the other side that wasn't susposed to be blinking, the test light would just barely come on. Also, neither of the brake lights worked. I took the test light and checked the plug on the vehicle and it tested fine. Also, all of my other trailers work fine when hooked to the vehicle. I know it probably has to be a ground issue but I cannot figure it out. I took the self taping screw out that was securing the ground wire and replaced it with a bolt and nut but this still didn't help. Any all suggestions will be appreciated. I very seldom post but view this sight on a daily basis and I know that one of you guys can figure out my problem.

Thanks

Randy

It sounds like you still have a ground issue. I would make sure the lights are grounded good. A lof of times the bolts that hold the lights on also serve as the ground. I would start there, you could also run grounds for the lights down the trailer and not use the trailer frame as a ground.

Jim,

If I ran a seperate ground wire to the lights, where would i hook it to the lights.

Randy

I agree, it does sound like a ground concern. If you did run a separate ground down each side of the trailer, you would need to attach them to the light assy grounds. Like Jim said, the lights almost always are grounded by one of the bolts that hold the light assy's onto the trailer. One question I had for you was, are you testing the lights without the trailer being coupled to the tow vehicles hitch? I would also make sure that the receiver ball is free of rust and corrossion as well as the receiver and the tongue so that a good connection can be made there.

If your lights are grounded by the bolt that holds it on you could put a ring terminal on the wire and attach it to that bolt. you could also clean up and paint under where the nut sits that holds the lights on. that may help you get better current thru there. Personally id rather have a seperate ground wire then use the trailer as a ground.

My fathers old boat trailer used the bolts that hold the assembly on as a ground point, it didnt work very well at all on his trailer. I ended up running wires like i mentioned and used a ring terminal and a extra nut to attavch it to the light. After that no more problems.

Well guys I figured it out this afternoon a couple of hours after my post. It is a tilt trailer and the ground wasn't continueing from the front half of the trailer to back half of the trailer. I just ran a second ground wire to the back and connected it to the bolts on the tail lights. Worked like a charm. I appreciate the Help Jim B and KW.

Thanks,

Randy

Glad to here you got er whooped. Electrical problems are no fun. NOW GO FISHIN!!!

Back