Trailer bunks (pressure treated wood with carpet) and Aluminum Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
New to the forums and looking for help. I have read that you should not have pressure treated bunks and a metal boat. I have a 17' painted aluminum fishing boat and the Starcraft trailer has pressure treated wood bunks with marine carpet on them. Is this a concern? This was how it came from the manufacturer. Looking for suggestions to replace them looking at the slider pads or ultimate bunk boards.

How you know for sure those are pressure treated wood? Me, I like the slider pads and I've looked at the ultimate bunk boards, pricey, but appears to be functional. Carpeted pressure treated is the worse in my opinion as it holds water. Plain lumber while it would still fail over time, is cheaper, just plan on replacing every 5 years and over the lifetime of the boat, you'd then pay for a portion of those ultimate boards. Where screws and lag bolts go into the wood is where it'll fail first.

Thanks for the help. After reading about the sliders and ultimate bunk boards, I think I will opt for one of those options. I usually load and launch my boat myself and they might make it easier. Thanks Air Force from a fellow retired Detective (28 years of service).

I use silicon spray on my rails (I launch most of the time by myself), just make sure that you know when to unhook your trailer, you can have your boat on the ramp if you are not careful.

cq

Richard, where are you from? Your profile pics looks like you're holding a couple of rather good size speckled trout

Back