Tracker Pro-Guide V175 Combo Review/Comments

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a new Pro-Guide V175 Combo with a Merc 115 EFI 4S from BPS in Las Vegas in late June and until this past week have only used it to play with my grand-kids and only a little bit of fishing. This past week I spent 3 days fishing with a couple friends, we spent at least 8 hours each day on the water and everything worked flawlessly.

Prior to this trip I had been thinking about adding a kicker motor but after lots of searching for info on the net and this forum and some on water testing opted to add a second Interstate battery for the Minnkota 55 lb thrust trolling motor and installed the iPilot system. Over the 3 days on the water and using the trolling motor constantly for working structure and also trolling for trout we had 12.65 volts on the batteries (80% battery left). During that period we never put a charger on the batteries. While trolling we varied between .8 and 1.5 mph depending on our baits and were able to get up to just over 2 mph with 3 adults and gear. At times the wind was at least 10 - 12 mph on the nose and it was not a problem.

All of us agreed that there is no need for a small kicker for trolling (at least in the high Sierra) and the iPilot was absolutely amazing. That has to be the best bang for the buck out there. Adapting to the remote was easy and the ability to control the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat was great. No more foot controls for me.

I have not had a boat for about 20 years and this is my first aluminum boat. The deep V is great for running into a chop and as an old bass boat type (Nitro) I didn't find the higher gunnels a problem at all for lipping the fish even at my age.

At this moment I couldn't be happier with selecting this model over other boats I looked at. Enjoy the fishing guys.

It's really nice to hear how much someone likes their boat and equipment. And, that it performed above and beyond what was expected. I think that is the norm with Tracker / Nitro. It's just that a forum such as this one will generally see people looking for advice with a problem, in disproportionate numbers. All due to searching for answers.

I'm glad your rig is what you had hoped for. Enjoy your time with it.

Chuck

I didn't opt for a kicker when I bought my 18' Tundra. I have a 24 volt with 90 pounds of thrust. I pull crankbaits for walleye and salmon on South Dakota resivoirs. one is over 100 miles long and the other is 325 miles with few ramps between. So some places here it's 15miles to the boat ramp or more. I can't even imagine relying on my electric to bring me in if my 150 doesn't start or I blow a prop and I have better than 10 miles to the trailer.

The magic speed is usually about 1.25 to 2mph with 1.5 being the most favorable. Where this shines is when your fishing heavy chop with stiff winds the electric is really used hard under these circumstances where a kicker isn't even breathing hard. With a huge walkthrough windshield it's like a sail in heavy wind. I now have a Mercury 6hp long shaft four stroke with the gas line hooked to my 40 gallon main tank. I added this after a couple years of trying to do it all with the electric. In heavy current/wind my 90# electric can just about keep even and gain a little against the flow. In perfect situations the Minn Kota was fine but as I continued to expand my range of fishing holes I found the lack of a kicker to bite me in the butt on too many occassions. My 150 Opti didn't troll slow enough. Your 115 may do this with a trolling plate or a wind sock but for me the kicker worked the best. Your setup may work for the conditions you describe but you may wish to add a kicker later. Where I fish if you wait for 12 mph winds you may be waiting all summer.

My buddy George has the same set up and he was fishing a big chop and the fish were on fire. The chop kept his troller out of the water half the time making it ineffective. I just putted along in 3 footers and filled the livewell. I'm just saying keep an open mind.

fatrap

Thanks for the comments fatrap. Where I am fishing now (NorCal High Sierra) the lakes aren't big enough to have a no start on the big motor create a getting home problem. I can see where the chop could become one. I have purchased a trolling plate for the 115 as it doesn't quite get slow enough, close, but no cigar. I am keeping an open mind on a kicker as I get more lake time back under the belt. Never say never, as they say.

I have a V175 combo that I purchased as well this year. I still have the single battery for the trolling motor, but also added the IPilot and love it.

I did add a Minn Kota on board charger(D210) and it works great as well.

I do have a long shaft Mercury 9.9 bigfoot motor (more due to local HP restrictions on lakes than for trolling) and it works really well. I can putt under 1mph and max out about 6mph. It is connected directly to the transom and works well with no kicker plate or anything.

I do have the 90hp optimax motor and am very impressed with it as well and how it works on this hull. I have been super happy with the boat and it has met all my expectations. I have not tried to pull any tubes or skiers with it, but do like that option and the swim platform is good for piece of mind as well. (and over the summer it is nice to fish while sitting on the back of the boat with my feet on the swim platform..)

Anyway - it is a great boat, incredibly stable for the family and runs great.

Michael

Well I finally did it and bought a 6hp Nissan kicker linked to my Mercury steering for trolling. While the Minnkota with iPilot was great in calmer water, in a chop it was out as much as in the water. Also installed a couple of Cannon electric downriggers. It's been tough getting the bass fishing mentality out of this old boy. Can't wait to get her on the water.

Hey Chuck now that you have some time on the 115 4 stroke how do you like it? I am looking at the same setup. Also how do you like the boat itself? What elevation are you running at? Thanks

I too have just recently taken delivery of my v175 combo with the 115. This boat is absolutely phenomenal. Very stable and keeps me dry in the rough. Any info or links about kicker motors and accessories would be greatly appreciated!

I have the same couldn't be happier with it. I did remove the 55 minnkota and put on a 24 volt terrova 80 with I pilot. It rides nice even in rough water. Beats my old sylvan kidney buster. The 115 merc runs great.

Great to hear the positive reviews on this boat guys. I just ordered one of these boats and hope to have a great experience. I'm a 24 year Navy vet and miss being out on the water. Can't wait to get out there with you all. There seems to be a good share of negative reviews on some of these boats, but overall I'm finding it hard to find any comprehensive reviews like the above ones. If you have any updates on your experiences or other sites I should check out then I would love to hear about them. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back