tracker boat / trailer problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lewis

Reaction score
I purchased a 2001 superguide v-16 boat from an individual. I seem to have a problem loading and unloading the boat. The front brace (where the front winch is mounted) seems to hit my trolling motor mount. I have tried shallow and deeper unloading of the boat into the water and have the same result. The front of the bow doesn't seem to make contact with the front roller also. Do I need to modify the front bracket to the trailer to make it make contact under the winch shackle? Any help would be great as I am tearing up the trolling motor mount. Trailer is a trailstar brand.

Got a picture? If my trailer is on a really steep boat ramp mine almost hits. Maybe if you hook up the strap and then winch up until tight then pull ahead a few feet maybe the angle will change. You shouldn't have to change the mount at all but if this is a constant problem you might have to cut them off with a saws all and weld them lower on the post.
Just a thought.
fatrap

Got a picture? If my trailer is on a really steep boat ramp mine almost hits. Maybe if you hook up the strap and then winch up until tight then pull ahead a few feet maybe the angle will change. You shouldn't have to change the mount at all but if this is a constant problem you might have to cut them off with a saws all and weld them lower on the post.
Just a thought.
fatrap

Here are some pics. Finally allowed me to upload them. When the boat is fully loaded and winched tight the bow is not resting on the front roller. When loading and unloading the bow of the boat lowers to the point that the top bowtie hits the trolling motor mount and had cracked the plastic and pulled out a screw. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank goodness for the great people and the forums.

Attachments

• boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 776
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,443
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 681
If the bow drops that fast, you're backing the trailer to far in the water and floating the boat while its still hooked up.

seem if I don't back it that far in I have to forcibly push the boat off the trailer. I read another post where someone mentioned backing the trailer in to wet the guides. Maybe I will try that.

Sorry for the late reply. Tough problem without visuals. Just a thought, you might make sure when trailering your boat that the motor is trimmed up. This will force the bow up. This could take care of the loading issue. Unloading and hitting is an unusual problem. Have you tried not backing in as far and backing in/unloading the boat under power?

Move your trolling motor bracket back flush w/the hull and your problem will go away. The motor Guide bracket doesnot need to overhang like the OMC bracket does. I had this same issue on a boat, and doing as I suggested solved the problem. Larry in western Ky

I have a different view totally on this sorry guys, if you hull can drop in the nose by that much to let the TM hit, I would suggest that something is a miss under the hull, alowing the hull to drop as soon as it leaves the front lower roller. If the hull is supported by the bunks and the fron lower roller is simply guiding the nose up to the winch roller, which you should be able to hit unless something is stopping the hull moving forward.

I'm assuming that your ramp isn't like a cliff face and the boat id way way to deep.

How I unload mine is firstly, I keep my carpeted bunks sprayed with a lubricant, I use the cheap yhtre shine, works great and doesn't make it ball bearing slick.
Secondly I back down until the waters edge before releasing any winch straps, then I tie my rope thats attached to my hull to the post on the front of my trailer. My rope is about 35 feet long, never have too much.

I then undo the winch strap, reverse back and tap the brakes, the boat glides off, I move forward a few feet, step out and grab the rope to guide the boat to the dock or shore.

People always watched amazed at how easy it is and they think that the boat has glided off into the lake. :)

Everyone has a method for putting it back on and it varies so much from boat to boat, ramp to ramp etc. You need to take a note of what depth your trailer is at when in the water at your most used ramp and then use that as a guide. You should have no issue powering the boat on the trailer slowly if you have your depth correct and trailer set up.

I suggest you have a serious look under your hull and trailer where and how it sits, have someone help you push the boat back fron the winch whilst on dry land and see if and why the boat nose drops ans why it's not supported most of the way off the trailer.

Your unloading process will solve his problem only if he could use it 100% of the time. Moving the motor back where it should have been in the beginning, makes the problem go away, and he can use any unloading process he chooses. The bow of all boats drop to some degree when unloading. The angle of the ramp mostly dictates this drop. The flatter the ramp the less bow drop you will have. If you will note the motor bracket is centered over the bow roller, and has no choice but to make contact on most unloading situations. I have already been through this ordeal with an improperly installed trolling motor. I bought the lesson,a bent trolling motor pan, and 300.00 worth of glass work to repair
the holes after moving it to the proper location. Problem solved. Larry in western Ky.

Latest posts

Back