Towing with a bass boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My son and his friends are getting to the age that they will want to be dragged around the lake in an inner-tube or something like that.

What I am wondering is if I can use the rear seat mount to put a post in for towing. I know that it would have to be braced backwards out to the rear corners, and I have no problem building something for that but I was just wondering if the 1 7/8" snap-lock seat post by swivl-eze is a good place to start.

The kids don't weigh anything yet but I know if the mount is there others will come calling...

The transom-mounted rings for strapping the boat down on the trailer are too low to be used.

Thanks!

Steve

here is what you need. a little pricey but designed for your needs and those boys are only to get bigger and want to go faster.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=10866

I have a Z6 and have towed a few tubes around by the tie down hooks, they are well and truly high enough when you start moving. Be careful with any pole type deal as the higher the tow point, the more more the boat will bog out of the hole as the load tries to pull the boat down.

What size motor? I have towed a tube with my 225 on a 929 but even with rope floats the prop ate the rope if I wasn't watching. I believe Trepper put a towbar on his old NITRO. You will need to mount and drill your topcap. A lot of towbars exclude tubing so read up and be careful.

I have done it a few ways on my Tracker and Nitro boats:

Option 1 - tow harness off the transom tie-down hooks, make sure you get a floating one to avoid what Toxic said, and be careful at take off each time to make sure it doesn't get caught in the prop. I did this on my Tracker 175 and for a few years on the Nitro 700:

http://www.basspro.com/Airhead-Tow-Demon-Ski-Tow-Harness/product/52629/

Option 2 - When the kids decided to ski/knee board I needed something that got the rope higher off the water, I went the route ckemp suggested and used that exact one. Yes it required HOLES in the rear deck of the Nitro, but pulled Skiers, Tubes, knee boards with not an issue. Just measure 2-3 times and drill once!!!

Either way, one option if you have issues getting on plane with a tube behind you, is consider a different prop for the days you'll pull them, more low end and hole shot (like a 4 blade).

Trep

I have a ski pole mounted out of the seat hole and goes back to braces in the back corners. I have had my 1995 nitro for 14 years and we have pulled 2 skiers at a time and a 3 person tube with 4 kids on it and never had any problems with it at all. we have a 115 mercury mariner with a 19p prop and it drags two skiers up on 2 skis it pulls me up fine on a wake board or a single ski fine. and Im right at 200lbs.

Latest posts

Back