touch up paint

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg McNeely

Reaction score
New to this site as of today. I'm refurbishing a 94 180fs. I am having a very hard time finding any matching touch up paint (dark green metalflake/metalic). Does anyone have a good source for matching Nitro paint? Tracker/Bass Pro no help at all. Just looking for a small bottle/brush type kit to cover some filled screw holes. Help appreciated.

yep. Just filling some small holes from removed accessories. Bondo, spot sand, dab of paint.

As Toxic was suggesting that is not paint, it is gel coat. You are not going to find paint for that, it is going to have to be color-matched.

yes, I'm aware that it is gelcoat and not paint. Thought perhaps there was a touch up dobber or similar on the market. You know, like you might get with a new car, even plastic cars. Time to hit the hobby shop, find some Testor PLA, hope for a close match and some clear sealer. These patches are about 1/8 inch in size. Not a big deal.

A better solution might be to cruise the auto dealers lot, find a car that is the right shade of metalic green, copy down the VIN, go to the parts/service dept and get a touch up bottle of auto paint, a little clear coat and there ya go.

I understand the discussion about the gel coat, but I found that the DupliColor paint product worked great on my 1997 Stratos and my 2011 Z6. The local auto parts store had a great selection and you just have to take the paint outside with your boat and see if you can match the color. It worked great for me. Unless you know where the scratch is and are looking for it, the scratch is not noticable...

I have just used little black plastic plugs from an auto parts supplier. You barely notice them and they don't look bad at all.

yeah, I thought about the car plug idea for the transducer connector lead on the deck,

but most of these holes are screw holes, 1/8 or 3/16 inch. previous owner loved his drill. this is a bit of a project boat body-wise. good motor, but I'm not going to be entering it in any parades.

I had a small rub (@ 2" x 1/2") just into the gelcoat. A long story for another time. It was in the red with silver flake above the rub rail. In desperation I went through my wife's nail polish 'collection' to find a match. I found one extremely close to my boat's color. I gave it a go and let it dry. Honestly, it looked good. The next day I did a second coat and let it dry. The third day I got her clear coat hardener and put on a final coat of that. Well, it has been two years and looks fantastic! I ask people all the time to try and find the spot. Noone yet has found it.

I kept that bottle of polish and it's in my boat glove box! :D

Another good idea. If my wife goes goth, or it gets around St. Patty's day, I'll see if

she has any green metalic nail polish (just kiddin). Neccesity and economics are the mothers of invention. I like your thinkin.

I use the same method.....pour some glitter in a bottle of nail polish, then shake it up.....works just fine.

Eric

Latest posts

Back