Thoughts on new Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Shaffer

Reaction score
Hello New to Forum. Been looking around for a new Boat I have a 16ft astroglass bass boat right now. but the last few years have been fishing Erie for smallmouth. and the bass boat is just not cutting it. been looking at the Tracker Targa V-18 Combo. Just wonder about your guys thoughts on this boat? What engine would you get 2 stroke or 4 stroke. would like to be able to troll with it to. Are the Hulls cracking on these as bad as some of the reports on the net lead them to believe?

Thanks

I just bought a 2012 Targa V-18 combo last year and so far it has been fantastic. Just got back from flounder fishing in Va. last week and the boat performed very well. My only suggestion would be to move up to a 150. Whether you go optimax or four stroke is a personnal preference thing. I have the optimax and love the torque it provides getting the boat on plane very quickly with minimal effort. Let me know if you need anymore info on the boat and good luck.

It's aluminum so no hull cracking problems. Go with the four stroke if you'll be trolling. 150HP is the way to go.

Tee will chime in on the welds. I hate to see anyone buy anything new and have trouble with it. I don't have any experience with tracker alum. My fiberglass Nitro was trouble free.

Good luck!

Bubby:)

Go with the biggest engine offered. My Tundra is aluminum and no problems with the welds(knock on wood) but the fit and finish sucked,AS did the trailer allignment with the boat. I have a buddy with that rig and a 115hp and it's underpowered but so far it's held up really well and he can break a ball bearing.

fatrap

Thanks guys. I have been trying to find reviews on the Internet about the v-18.and from what I'm seeing is to get the 150 merc. I like the idea of the fourstroke just wonder if it is as quick as the 2 stroke? I have never had an aluminum boat. As mine is fiberglass. Ive not had any trouble with it but I know it's not made for Big Water !!! From what I'm seeing ,is to find a good reputable dealer. I like that the Tracker comes fully loaded and ready to fish not like some of the other brands. Would like to have a Lund but they are way over my budget.

If fish Erie all the time. I have a nitro 901. I don't have any problems with rough water on Erie. So if your going to target Bass stay with the glass bass boats. If you really think you need the deep v to handle rough water and mainly troll for walleye go for the targa. The reality is if the lake is to rough and your not fishing tournaments for a living I don't think you will be going out anyway.

Just made my first shakedown run on Lake Ontario with my new 2012 Targa WT. With advice from the very knowledgeable guys on this forum, I went with the 2 stroke 150 hp and I'm glad I did. The boat planes out quickly and with 4 of us on board, a 9.9 4 stroke kicker, 2 electric downriggers, 12 rods and the rest of the gear, and with a small chop, we were trolling 7 miles offshore within a half hour. I love it!

The base engine is to provide a lower advertised price and OK for a couple of people on board. Add 2 more guys and their gear and fuel and the extra weight makes the boat sit lower in the water and takes more power to push it. Good to make a reasonable estimate of true load to be placed in the boat and look at that total weight as a percentage of the boat's maximum rated payload. The higher the percentage the less efficient the boat hull will be moving through the water.

Shorter boats fit more garages for inexpensive storing when not in use but take more power when fully loaded with 2-3 buddies and their gear. With a short boat and a small motor you get a double whammy.

Latest posts

Back