THIS is good news......for GM fans anyway!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
GM ANNOUNCES BEST WARRANTY OF ANY FULL-LINE AUTOMAKER .... GM has announced the best warranty of any full-line automaker, with coverage up to 100,000 miles or five years across its entire 2007 car and light-duty truck lineup in the United States and Canada, reflecting its success in dramatically improving the quality and durability of its vehicles.

GM's new 100,000 Mile Warranty coverage is a fully transferable five-year, 100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty with no deductible. GM also has decided to expand its roadside assistance and courtesy transportation programs to match the powertrain warranty term. Altogether, it's the best coverage in the auto industry.

"We've been telling everyone how strong GM's cars and trucks are in terms of value, design, quality and durability. Now we're going to back it up," Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner said. "This new warranty, combined with GM's outstanding quality, competitive pricing, relevant technologies and a strong new lineup of cars and trucks, provides motorists with an unprecedented level of value and peace of mind."

"This latest step in our North America turnaround plan reflects the confidence we have in the quality of our cars and trucks," Wagoner continued. "It's the result of years of hard work by our employees, suppliers and dealers. It's something that motorists want and deserve. For those who haven't driven a GM car or truck in a while, this is our way of saying, 'Come on back and see what we've done.'"

GM will support the new warranty program with a comprehensive integrated marketing campaign themed "Elevate." The campaign will tell the story of how people who buy GM cars and trucks will now be traveling on a "higher road" with a new level of confidence, thanks to the new warranty.

Sounds really good for peace of mind. I've always been a GM fan and this will definately be an incentive when I look to replace my wife's Grand Prix with a **GULP** minivan. :unsure:

I love It ..... As soon as I can get the Impala off the lease I'am buying a new one..Was going to get the buick lucerne but now I like the Monte SS..It suprised me on the power and I like speed...JR:):):)

Nice move. But if you're going to 100K miles, why not have the corresponding 10 years instead of 5? My wife's Olds minivan needed every bit of its 5/60K powertrain warranty. Now we're just hoping that we don't have similar problems (failed gasket leading to coolant leak into engine core requiring replaced lifters and nearly a new engine!). 10/100K would have us looking at GM again when its time to replace the minivan with something smaller. Given the amount of shop time our minivan has seen, my wife's not so sure she wants GM again.

I don't make the policies or the decisions folks,...I merely cut and past the "news";)

JR,..I have a black '06 Monte LTZ now too, that I drive to work....love it!!

So are they going to retro that back to the 06's??? ;) I wish...lol

I think that a great thing. Back when i bought my Dodge they were offering a 7/100k powertrain and its one of the reasons i bought the truck. Im glad i had it because i needed it when i cracked a head at 50k :( Like always i got the 100k bumper to bumper too.

On my 06 Silverado i got the 100k extended plan, who knows if ill need it but so far at 13k i havent had one thing go wrong(except getting rear ended, poor little sentra was toast :lol: ). Its been a great truck so far.

I really like the looks of the 07 model. If i didnt just buy a new truck last year id be thinking about one. The new silverado is sweet and i really like the new avalanche.

thats not that great, only limted to "powertrain" ie.. Internal engine,trans,driveline. lets see them go 5/60,000 bumper 2 bumper and 10/100,000 powertrain. then maybe they'll come close to keeping up with the imports.

Seems like a good move to me. Especially if you're like me and keep them for awhile.

The wife's van, and my truck each have about 90,000 mi on them, and I'm hoping for another two years before I get new ones.

Tim

Gm having a 3/36k bumper to bumper and 5/100k on the powertrain is a better warranty then any of the imports put on a truck. Both nissan and toyota do 3/36 and 5/60 powertrain on thier trucks.

There are come cars that may have a better basic warrantry but they dont come from Japan...

I've never had a vehicle yet that didn't hit 100,000 in 3/4 years so I think 100.000miles/5 years is pretty good.

Good Ole American Jobs.....I luv my Chebbie..got me 2 of them critters..Like to keep a new one around for the principal of the thing.....JR:) Today almost bought a 1977 corvette but we couldn't get the price at my level...close but no cegar...

I've been having new truck fever for a while now. This will put GM back on the look at list for me. GM was off of that list until now. Good news. Thanks Mac.

Uncle Billy

Now if they'd just throw in a years supply of Enzyte I'd give em a look.

fatrap

Yeah...it's a little late for that IMHO!

I may be swearing off GM for good there Mac....seriously!

They won't cover dick on my wife's 04 Sierra and EVERYTHING is normal!

If there quality continues the way it is...you'll definitely need 100K warranty because the dam thing will be in the shop every other day!

O.K.....I'm off my box:angry:

FPOS!

Oh the difference a day makes!!..WTF Tee,...just last week you were BowTie man forever!!

Now you're swearin'em off!! LOL.

That kinda stuff happens with EVERY mfgr,...what kinda stuff aren't they covering on a 3yr old truck?? Is it drive train related?? She have over 50K miles on it?? Details man!!!

Cool.....a buddy of mine has a Silverado with 250,000 on it......still runs great!! Oh and by the way,...GM dropped the prices of the 2007's and doubled their warranty...so it doesn't cost anything for the additional peace of mind,.........infact it's cheaper!

We'll have to wait and see if the Imports do the same!;)

No No...THAT's my 94':lol:

Belive it or not Mac...it seems it's the GMC line I'm having problems with...doesn't make sense does it ?

Well the list is waaay too long Mac but, heres' just a few...

Tranny has been reflashed twice and still jumps from 1st to 2nd once in awhile...that's downright dangerous in a bad situation.

That stupid "intermediate steering shaft" problem isn't going away and GM doesn't know how or what to do to cover them.

Dexcool is sludging at 30K miles and they won't cover....

Brake fluid is "contaminated" (WTF?) at 30K....

A arm bolt FELL OUT at 20K...that's right..A Arm bolt!

4 wheel disc brakes are the pits! My 94 stops better....

Door, snap and pop when you close them and they've already replaced two sets of hinges.

Friggin' Torque Management about got my arse killed her the other day when I was stuck in a intersection and had to nail it and it fell on it's face from that crap and a semi was bearing down on me.

I am GM but, quality has taken a back seat lately...

Don't believe it ? Go to ANY GM forum and listen to the problems....

Those sound like drive-train issues that SHOULD be covered......tell your Dealer's Service Mgr you want to "discuss it with the Regional Mgr"...keep pressing the issue!!

And GM's quality has made HUGE progress the last 5 yrs,.....check out the JD Powers results,...but in the same breath...it doesn't matter if you're the one with a bad apple!!

Keep getting in the dealer's face!:angry:

I had a 94 Nissan pickup and the manual transmission went out at 40,000. Thankfully the drivetrain warranty covered it. What is up with the exhaust smell that Nissan's put out? My 94 was terrible to follow and I have noticed the same thing when following other, even new, Nissan's? Rotton sulphur smell.

How many times have you seen a 22re toyota motor in the back of another truck riding around? I think the hype is funny that toyota and other foreign vehicles last forever. Those little toyota trucks are great but many have had their motors replaced before the 150,000 mark or some other major repair.

You never know what you are going to get with any brand in my opinion. The price these vehicles sell for, I think most warranty's are pretty poor. I think it should be bumper to bumper for 100,000 on all vehicles.

I was finally able to buy my first new GMC truck last year, so far I am at 18,000 with no problems. I love the tow/haul feature while towing my boat and the power for towing is amazing. Clark

Keep in mind,.....the warranty we get and price we pay for cars and trucks is a HELLUVA lot better than what we get on boats that cost about the same!!! Now THERE's a disparity!

What? The only One?

Dude I traded an 03' Sonoma for this thing because it was a POS also!

Brakes gone at 19K miles and it developed an oil leak that the dealer couldn't find so they had me drive it around for a few days with dye in it and STILL couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so I traded it off for this.......

What do you do?

Merely supporting and defending the company that feeds and houses my family,........nothing wrong with that!! I'm sure Nissan is doing the same for you!!;)

IMO their all good. Anyone can get a turd from any of the major manufacturers. Anyone want to hear about my wifes Nissan Altima on our trip to Durango this summer? My Nice's KIA (killed in action). The front bearing on my Powerstroke? To a dumb Pole/German the best vehicle out there is the one I'm currently driving. I wish all the manufacturers providing jobs in this country the best.

fatrap

This is great news, chevy all the way for me, when I looked at Toyota and Nissan, both Dealers talked me out of them on towing reasons, so I haven't looked since;)

Tee, sounds like its time to find a new dealer.......

Seriously if they put dye in the oil and still cant find the leak, sounds like they arent too sharp.

I can understand where your coming from. My 2000 GMC was a turd but i think a god part of that was in part to the dealers inability to fix it correctly. Granted there were problems with the truck but they couldnt fix it. It was the same crap over and over again, then theres the stuff they broke while it was in the shop and mickey moused back together. Or the stuff they jsut didnt touch even though they said they fixed it, i could go on forever on the subject of that truck but i wont. I wont ever go back to that dealer again and i have steered many people away from them. That dealer alone is the reason i traded into a Dodge when i dumped that 2000, i needed a change and i was mad at GM. Mainly due to this dealer and GM couldnt do anything to get them to fix my truck. No other dealer would touch it because of the history on it and they didnt want to fix someone elses mess. I was mad but my anger may have been somwhat misdirected at GM when it was 80% the dealer.

When i bought this year I went back to a Chevy, something i thought i would never do but when i looked i decided to look at everything on the market in a full sized truck. I drove evey full sized truck out there and did plenty of research on the net, i pined of what i ws oging to buy for almost 3 months. I decided to be loyal to my wallet and it came down to the Chevy or a Nissan Titan( i get supplier price on both). After doing my research on the Titan and talking to a friend who runs the service dpt at a Nissan dealership( he steered me away from the Titan, says they are plauged with issues) i went with the Chevy. My Silverado has been great, no problems, plenty of power, awesome features( onstar hand free cell is the coolest thing ever!!) and great milage for a full sized truck, i have zero regrets in going back to a GM. Honestly this is the first vehicle i have ever owned( car, truck, motorcycle) that i havent had to take back in the first month or so due to some issue. i have had the truck since Feb and the only time its seen the dealers shop was for its freebie first oil change and to get the collision damage repaired from when i got rear ended.

I guess I have been lucky with my American trucks. I had one bad truck which was a Chevy but I bought it used so it may have been abused. The tranny would not engage after waiting at a light or stopping at a stop sign and would then slam into gear. I took it in a few times but it would never do it for the dealer. I traded it with 35k miles since I didn't want to have out of warranty problems. As I said though I bought it used so the previous owner may have ragged it out so I wasn't really to mad at Chevy. I went back to Ford and haven't seen the shop since. Personally I don't think I will ever buy a Jap truck but to each his own.

My personal ride is an 06 Ram 1500 Quad Big Horn package with the 5.7 liter Hemi...I absolutely love it. I've owned 5 Dodge P/U's in my life and never had a lick of a problem. At work, I drive an '05 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab. It's very nice, but I like my Dodge better, ride, handling and power are far superior.

As some of you know, I work in a plainclothes unit. The Silverado is my "police car" so to speak. About 3 weeks ago myself and the Silverado came head to head so to speak with a stolen 05 Ram 1500 Quad Hemi. The incident occurred in a Walmart parking lot. My crew and I attempted to "box" the truck in so he could not escape. I will have you know, that the Dodge pushed my Silverado around like it was not there as well as 3 other surveillence rides. My Silverado was rendered undriveable, as well as 2 of the other "police cars," while the Dodge made his escape. The stolen Ram was eventually recovered in Detroit with moderate front end damage, unfortunaly no arrests have been made "yet." I just got my Silverado back yesterday. Parts replaced were basically the entire front end (hood, both 1/4's, entire front facia, bumper, radiator, driver and front passenger doors which would not open and a whole list of front end engine parts). This incident unfortuanately occurred in the shadows of the GM tech center. It's no fun getting "Rammed!!!" LOL

-Smitty

LOL...Man Smitty,....What you need is 3 miles north of here on Mound and 15MI. ...at the General Dynamic's plant...they have 4-5 M1 Abrahms sitting out back now!! Giter-Done!!

Besides,...if the dude in the Ram pushed you out of the way,...isn't that "assault"...I'da been launchin FMJ's at the #$%^!.......but then again,..that's why I'm not a cop!! I don't have that level of "patience" for those freaks!!:eek::wacko:

Hope you nail'em soon!!

We are on there trail Mac....and yes it was an assault...Felonious Assault to be more specific. We are waiting for prints to come back from MSP....THEN we will be gettin her done!!!!! HEHEHEHE...

You've been watchin too much T.V. Mac....LOL, I have trouble getting a good group on the range, much less while getting rammed....!!! But yes, it would have been a good shoot had one of us not been getting beat up by the truck at the time.

My post was for entertainment purposes only...no knock on GM, I'm a backer of all the U.S. car companies, though me and my brothers in blue are still angry with you folks for taking our Caprices away....finally built the perfect police car, IN IT'S FINAL YEAR OF PRODUCTION...!!!! You people are such a tease...!!! LOL Though these new Charger Hemi police packages are very very interesting indeed. The Crown Vic's definately BLOW.

What you guys need is the new Camaro coming out in a couple years,......talk about a potential badass police car,....:blink::blink: THAT would rock!!!

I've seen a couple MSP's in Mustangs too!!:eek: NICE!!

We still have a couple of the old Camaros, our traffic guys drive them...in fact they are still fairly new mileage wise, Troy actually buys in bulk, so we have cars stockpiled for future use.

I don't believe we will be buying anymore of the 2 door coupes, we can't transport prisoners in them, and with the coming of the Charger Police Package with the Hemi, there really is no need for the high performance coupes...the Chargers give us more bang for the buck. The one difference our traffic guys will have is that there Chargers will be equipped with the 6.2 Hemi rather than the 5.7.

The new Camaro is a sweet looking ride Mac...though I'm kinda a retro guy and am leaning more towards the new Dodge Challenger.

Those police pkg's are pretty sweeet,....lotsa goodies in them that the regular folk can't get!!

Those Challengers are cool looking......can't wait for the Camaro tho....should be VERY interesting to see how it performs!!;)

Mac you got a link to the new Camaro? I would like to see what they look like and if they have changed any.

P..S You been huntin' yet? I plan on going bow hunting Sunday if I can make it out of bed.

Donnie

Donnie, here is a shot of the 2008 concept camaro. I really like this one, nice retro look.

tmb_Chevrolet_Camaro_2008_Concept_001_744x558.jpg

Jim,

It looks too much like a Mustang. Just doesn't have that Camaro look to it.

Steve

I'm glad to see that GM is offering a better warranty... but at what price??? Are we going to start seeing $70K Suburbans / $60K Tahoes??? Last year, when we bought my wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee, we priced the Chevy Tahoe. Wow! GM sure is proud of what they make, aren't they? Not to say they aren't good vehicles, but $46K for the Tahoe, compared to $36K for the Jeep (and we paid $28K with the program discount we received) made our choice very easy. Granted, the Tahoe is a larger vehicle, but for the towing capacity, engine size, warranty, comfort level, features, etc.... the Jeep was a much better buy for us. I briefly looked at the Suburban, saw a high $50K's price tag, nearly choked, and walked off. I used to be a die hard Chevy fan, but in recent years, have become a Dodge fan. The engines are very easy to maintain, my Dodge Ram has been very reliable - I just had my first issue with it last week - pinion gear needed replacing at 86K miles, and since getting that fixed, it is driving like a new vehicle. Like I said - we looked at the Chevy's, because we really liked the Tahoe, but when it comes down to it, Chevy is just too high priced for our needs, and Dodge is taking that business. When Chevy brings its prices back down to something reasonable, I'll probably start looking at a Tahoe again. Until then, when it's time to replace my Ram, I'll either be looking at a 2500 Turbo Deisel Ram, or a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi..... probably the 2500 though. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Glen,..the '07 SUV's are actually cheaper than the 06's!!..GM's slowly dropping prices across the entire spectrum and eliminating incentives,......making the vehicles prices more in line with what people "actually pay".

$50K for a Suburban is CHEAP!! (Compared to a BASS BOAT!!)...Go price a brand new 20ft'r with a 225 on it,..any brand,..I don't care. Then compare warranties!! :wacko: Now where's the disparity?? Trucks or boats?!...LOL

Mac,

Good to hear that GM is bringing down prices, but to compare them to bass boats isn't going to sway me, as I think bass boats are rediculously priced anyway. :lol: I can buy some brands of 30 foot saltwater boats with a sleeping cabin, bathroom, etc... for less than what they charge for some new bass boats. Ranger is rediculously priced, and although I would have liked to own one, I'm not paying that much for a 20 foot boat. I looked at Ranger, Skeeter, Bass Cat, and Triton before buying my TR-20X, and one of the main reasons for buying the boat that I did (besides me liking the features and looks so much :lol: ) is because of the deal the dealership gave me. I got a fully loaded TR-20X, with a 225 Optimax, galvanized dual axle trailer, etc... from the dealer for $34K. And even though that is a lot of cash, it was a drop in the bucket compared to the $54K they wanted for the Ranger. Another guy in our club bought a TR-21X rigged out almost identical to mine, and he paid $42K for his (i.e. - he paid an extra $8K for a one foot longer boat, that's not as fast as mine :lol: )

The warranties on boats also cannot be compared to a truck. I put my boat through stuff I wouldn't dream of putting my truck through. :blink: :p :lol: I also don't go from idle to wide open throttle for 60 minutes on a regular basis with my Dodge Ram either. :lol: But I do think that a 3 year factory engine warranty on an outboard is a very good deal compared to a truck engine, because what we do on a regular basis to an outboard engine would probably kill 99.9% of all truck engines within the first couple of months.

But thanks for the heads up on them reducing prices. If.... and that's a big "IF", GM does bring their prices down to a reasonable level (i.e. - on par with what Dodge is charging for a comparably equiped vehicle), I'll consider them for my next purchase.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back