they shoot fish don't they ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Macaluso

Reaction score
Last week up at Champlain I had what had to be one of the strangest things happen while I was out fishing in a long time . A buddy and myself were up fishing the Missisquoi area of lake Champlain. For those not familiar with the area it

A long time ago, back in the 60's, they guy that ran the pier on Dauphin Island (south of Mobile) would shoot the sharks you hooked so you would be sure to get 'em. He'd also shoot the water near the porpoises to run them off (they are a real nuisance when fishing). This story reminds me of the good old (and a lot wilder) days. No one even gave it a second thought back then.

Oh where o where is Rob LaMoy when you need him.... There is some "history" of fish shooting up there that Rob could explain in detail... I'll try to get him to respond...

I had an uncle in Louisiana (30+ years ago) that used to "fish" down there for garfish. He had a little area that they would congregate, kind of like a little small pond looking area off the main bayou, with a entrance about the width of his little aluminum boat. He would go in, and anchor in the middle, then retrieve lines he had set out from tree limbs above him, and attach nets to the lines from his boat. Then he would pull on the lines, and the nets would start going towards pulleys he had attached to the trees. When the nets were all out, he would pull another line and drop the whole contraption into the water - all around his boat - about 10 lines, with nets attached to each line. He would pull some other strings, which would "close up" the large net, and then pull yet another to lift the nets system out of the water. If you can picture this - his little aluminum boat is sitting in the middle of what resembles and upside down umbrella - with garfish flopping all over the place in the net. Then he would pick up his .22lr, and start picking them off. The dead ones would just roll down the net into the boat. Then he would open up everything, remove his nets, reset his lines in the trees - and drive out with a load of dead garfish. Less than an hours "fishing" time, and he had a boatload of fish.

It's absolutely the wildest thing I've ever seen done while "fishing". He didn't do it for sport - he did it for eating. He would boil the meat, remove it from all the tiny bones, and then make "garfish balls" out of the meat - cover them with breading, and deep fry them. Great eating - and I might add - the ONLY time I've ever eaten garfish was when he made it. Otherwise, I never touched the things.

All the best,

Glenn

Shooting fish in Vermont is legal. As far as I know, Vermont is the only state where it is legal.

From the Vermont Fish and Wildlife handbook:

"Shooting or Spearing: Shooting or spearing fish requires a hunting or combination license to take fish."

Most guys I see on the lake that are hunting fish are usually after pike. Kind of freaky the first time you see it.

The following methods are illegal in Vermont: spear guns, explosives and poison.

Now the big question......since lead shot is illegal for hunting waterfowl and lead sinkers < 1/2 ounce are illegal for fishing in VT......are lead bullets legal for shooing fish???? That is not addressed in the hunting and fishing handbook.

Bob G.

LOL at Bob G....

I bet if you used greater than 50 caliber lead bullets you would be OK...LOL

az

Latest posts

Back