The Toughest Fishermen I Ever Met

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I was telling this story today at work and thought I'd share it with you all. You might even have a better one.

A couple of weeks ago when the whole southwest was in the grip of Ice Age 2003 I had to drive out to the small town of Butler Okla. to bid a job. If you get out your road atlas find I-40 and go east from the Texas panhandle. The terrain out there is exactly what folks from the east or west coast think of when they think of Okla and Texas. You literally expect to see John Wayne being chased by a tribe of hostle Apache's. About 15 miles north of I-40 the only water bigger than 1/4 acre cow pond is Lake Foss, an impoundment of about 5,000 acres. I tell you all this to discribe the desolation of this area. Nowhere is just down the road.

Anyway driving back from my appointment takes me along the Lake Foss dam. I'm enjoying the beautiful view of the ice rimed lake, the wide open vista, and the dark grey winter sky when I spot somebody out on the boat ramp. I can't believe it. It's 27 degrees. Who are these fools? So I drive around to the ramp and see the oldest Bass Tracker I've ever seen. It had a logo on the side of a bass in the crosshairs of a scope. It turns out to be an 1980. I roll down the window and ask "How did yoalll do?"

"Oh we're just getting here--- getting ready to put the boat in the water now", the young Hispanic man answered.

I couldn't believe it. He tells me that they drive all the way from Wheeler Tx. (consult your road atlas again)to fish here and they will be out there all night. ALL NIGHT?Remember that it's 27 now and the sun is still an hour from setting. He tells me that he and his buddy do this regularly and they will catch 15 to 20 walleye and saugeye plus a few crappie and sandies. He told me he always backs the boat down one side of the ramp so the other side won't be iced up when they are ready to leave. UNBELIEVABLE-- to me anyway. We talked for awhile and then I wished them luck and went on my way.

Later that night about 3am I woke up and hurried to the bathroom. It was cooold in the house and I was happy to get back in bed and snuggle up to mama, but I thought about my new acquaintances and wondered how they were doing. By the way the low that night was 14.

Harpo

I think someone had too much fire water in them, I live in the south where we fish year round, but im not that crazy. I thought 40 was cold, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Latest posts

Back