The real purpose of a baitcaster..

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Galyans IM8 6'6" MH rod and a Abu Garcia C4/5600 reel. I can't stand the thing anytime casting is involved. With modern technology in spinning reels, why does anyone deal with the backlash garbage with a baitcaster anymore? I was told once that you can do things with a bait caster that you can't with a spinning rod, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what????

It makes a ok catfish rod with the bait clicker, but that's about it.

Wookie-

when I bought my first "backlasher",I thought the same thing.The best thing to do is to have somebody show you how to use it.You can read all you can find about setting it up,but having somebody that is good with one actually help you will make a big difference.

Then practice,practice,practice.

Steve

Its a preference thing in my opinion. What modern technology are you talking about in spinning reels? Really spinning reels havent changed all that much over the years. If you are proficent with a baitcaster backlashes are not a problem at all. The reel does play into it some. I have one of those abu's that you have and they are not the best casting reel out there, my curado's cast much better even with no brakes. I personally dont care much for spinning reels. I can do anything i can do with a spinning reels with a baitcaster(ie pitching,flipping,skipping,casting) with no backlashes and no line twist problems or loops or birds nests coming off the spool on the cast. Baitcasters also deal with heavy line better then a spinning reel does. in the end its a preference thing and you have to fish with what you are comfortable with.

My personal opinion is that the Abu Garcia baitcasters are VERY hard to master. I use my Shimanos and don't have any real problems. Of course, I'm suggesting a $100+ reel too.

Abu's are crap...go buy the bass pro shop extreme, tighten the drag , enable all the magnets...cast...cast..then loosen drag and magnets cast...cast..You get the picture. It takes a little time but don't judge it with those crappy reels....Good Luck...LA

If you are ready to "sell" that "crap" let me know... I use 5 Abu's for every 1 of any other brand...

I 2nd that Greg. I can always use another Abu...they are great reels for fishing for speckled trout.

I, too, have 3 Abu's. I love them for bait fishing because of the clicker and the high capacity spool. Like everything else, they've got to be matched to the task.

When it comes to crankbaits, spinnerbaits and worm fishing, I pull out my Curado's!

Like Steve said, get someone who knows what they're doing to help you out a bit..... Once you learn how to adjust the brakes and spool tension to meet the conditions and lure weights..... And once you get your thumb educated to stop the spool before you backlash..... You'll love baitcasters! You'll cast further than you did with spinning gear and you won't have the constant wind knots.

me!

Oh, yeah..... You'll also be able to cast heavier lines with smaller, lighter reels!

I also vote for Abu's They are on all my muskie rods. Make sure your spool brake is adjusted well for the size lure you are using and everything will be fine. I tried spinning gear for muskie, but there seemed to be more effort involved and I was more fatigued at the end of the day.

Rich D

Abu Garcia is actually a good start..If you practice practice practice and master the Abu...the rest is easy. Really I don't how I managed all those years WITHOUT baitcasters:)

You'll learn to appreciate them more as you get better at casting. Spinnerbaits are good practice baits when you learn the side arm swing and short cast targets until you get the hang of it. It's all in the adjustment of each and every reel and the bait weight...once adjusted right your on your way!:)

FISH ON!

i used spinners for just about everything. i have two iron baitcasters and i hate them, but you need bait caster for carolina rigs and to heavy spinners.

after all the praise on this board for the shimano curados i picked one up, it is the single best baitcaster i have ever used, it is well worth the 115.00 i cost.

i will be picking up another very soon to replace the other iron,

ther irons will make nice paper wieghts in the garage.

GregD

I find myself using more spinning gear this year, and realize that I probably have my line in the water a little more when using a spinning rod because I'm not dealing with the occassional backlash. On windy days in particular.

However, when I have to put the cast into a tight spot, I still reach for a baitcaster.

I use both. What I really like the spinning outfits for is finesse fishing, senko fishing, and especially putting baits in and under docks. I've gotten where I can put a fluke/senko almost anywhere up under a dock or something hanging over the water.

When windy, they basically get put up though.

I'm trying to concentrate on TX Rigged worms with a baitcaster, but I actully love the way a TX Rigged worm will fall straight down on a spinning reel.

Tex

I noticed that a lot of you all feel that the bait will present itself differently with a baitcaster, vs. a Spinning reel. How does the reel make any difference??

With a baitcaster, you can more easily control the distance with your thumb and also the accuracy of the cast. With a spinning reel, while you can STOP the cast, the coils of line serve to usually make you miss your mark.

Also a baitcast cast is much less arc'd than a spinning cast.

For presentations such as skipping under docks, spinning works best for the majority of people.

I just can't get into all that reaching across and flipping the bail and then reaching across and closeing it. BAAAAH! I know that spinning reels have their place and I do use one sometimes, mostly when it's windy and I want to throw something small and light. I'll also dig it out when I'm throwing flukes in deep clear water. I can leave the bail open and let sink and sink and sink and sink. I pitch & flip about 80% of the time and I just can't imagine doing that with a spinning reel.

Harpo

I can't flip or pitch with anything but a spinning reel.....

Just can't seem to get the hang of it with a baitcaster.

I'm usually not a product basher...I know everyone has good and bad experiences with different products...but I bought two of those Xeon reels and P.U.....I was a little po'd that they were even selling those...but maybe just my bad experience...LA

Without getting into super lines and dealing strictly with mono, I choose the reel style by what pound line I'm fishing.

2 to 10 pound goes on a spinning reel

12+ goes onto a baitcaster.

I use spinning gear as much as possible but there are some applications where a baitcaster is a must. My baitcast apps include but are not limited too jig & pig, spinner bait, crank bait and carolina rig.

Back