techniques

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Hey Fellas, here's a link that I have been checking while I'm here in Korea, some local guys talking on it. Anyway, there are some pics of a technique they are using and apparently doing real well on it. Weighting one end of a floating worm and putting a hood through an o-ring around the middle of the worm. Thought I would share it with you, looks like a great way to fish and I'll be trying it on mid-tour leave in May. Lemme know if you catch anything on it. http://landinglunkers.com/

Had my first outing in Korea last weekend, caught four, broke off two and missed about five:cool:. Pics to follow. Was using borrowed gear, hopefully mine comes in the mail this week.

Jim

We call that "Whacky Rigging" here,.......works great with Senko's and other soft plastic stick baits;)

Interesting.....looks like a wacky rigged shakeyhead without the shakeyhead hook but with the weight. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The main reason for the wacky rig is to let the bait fall horiz. and level, this rig defeats that. You don't need to use the weight on a wacky rigged Senko, it falls naturally. I would think a good ol' shakeyhead would work but if it's catching fish then keep it up!!:lol:

TOXIC

It continues to amaze me that I've heard more about fishing in Korea lately than I ever heard during the two years I served over there--and I traveled from the DMZ to Pusan and parts in between many times.

While it is a derivation of wacky-rigging, I think yours in the first mention I've seen of weighting the head [or tail] to get the bait standing on end on the bottom. That wacky-rigged hook remains positioned and exposed nicely for those tail tuggers.

Thanks for sharing.

This technique has been out for a while now and is deadly effective! Lots of the pros have claimed to have been catching thier fish on a wacky rig and folks are led to picture the traditional W-Rig but this is a much different look/action. Sorry Tox but your fellow Yamamoto brothers have been keeping you in the dark for about 3 years now! We have been using trick worms and Senkos with this technique for a long time. Surely you guys noticed the nail weights with the heavy rounded ends being sold by Lunker City.

http://www.lunkercity.com/ss.html

http://www.lunkercity.com/wacky_weight.html

The technique works well with the new Tru-Tungsten weighted worms too....or so I heard from a few guys. I have yet to try the new bait.

Leave it to me to be the last one on the team to know!!:lol::lol::lol: I don't get weighting the front end of a wacky rigged Senko?????? You aren't gonna get it to stand up no matter what you do?? It's too heavy and won't float. A Senko on a shakey head isn't gonna stand up either. I guess there would be a different action on the fall and working it across the bottom. Like they say, there's no wrong way to fish a Senko!!;)

TOXIC

Well Tox if you're forcing me to have to give away the top secret uses for a senko I guess I will.

You know how seductive a senko looks laying on its side in a few feet of water, a pulsating wacky rig looks good doesn't it?

Now imagine putting that same senko on the bottom of the lake in about 30ft of water and imagine getting down there in about 10 seconds.

It certainly open the opportunities of where you could use a senko.

Greg, you're secrets safe with us!!:lol::lol: Yeah, I see your point and Judy Wong won the Women's Classic on a Senko on a football head jig:eek: but there was current in the discharge she was fishing. I know a certain somebody who puts Senkos on slider heads for river current also. You won't find me doing anything to the basic bait, not finishing nails, tube weights/rattles, no suspend strips or weighted hooks either. I am a purist with the Senko, Texas rigged, Wacky rigged, Nose rigged, etc., all work but I don't have to deal with your deep water out West either. I have been known though to put a Senko on a c-rig from time to time.:lol: I've seen most of the rigging options but will admit not the hookless wacky rig. That's a new one on me.

TOXIC

At the landinglunkers.com site, scroll down and there's a short video showing three different techniques using these "end-weighted" floating worms. The second segment they show is the one we are using here and it really makes the worm shake pretty well. They call the techniques "Neko Rig" and "Kaiser Rig". I've used the senko's on a buckeye lure jighead, which makes a senko stand on end, and have done fairly well with it, although I think using a floating worm that has a bit more flexibility works better, especially in a little warmer water.

I always use a Zoom Trick Worm with a Lunker City nail weight for this technique...(sounds like I'm warming up for the Rowland Martin show+ ;) . I use it when the fish are suspending. I give it a twitch or two on the way down and then deadstick it for a while. I've never used Senkos for wacky rig. I guess I have a different mindset on them.

Latest posts

Back