Targa WT with 115 or 150 HP?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Hayden

Reaction score
Hi guys

I looked at a leftover 2012 Targa WT with a 150 Opti on it. I'm told these outboards aren't being made any more and there's a limited quantity available. Most of my fishing will be spent trolling Lake Ontario for trout and salmon. I told the salesman I want a 9.9 hp kicker also and for about the same money, I can get a new 2013 115 4-stroke and kicker for close to the same price. Also, hydraulic steering now comes standard with the 2013's so that's a plus I guess. I'm a big guy and most of the time there will be 3 of us in the boat. Since we plan on spending most of the time trolling with the kicker, will I be sorry if I go with the 115? Any advise you guys have is greatly appreciated.

IMHO the Targa is underpowered with a 115hp. Doesn't matter four stroke or not. My buddy has the same boat 2011 with a 135 opti and that's about right. I have a 18 Tundra with the 150 Opti and sometimes I wish I had a little more, my friend George will run mid 40ties with a load so he can cruse at about 35mph all day. Boats are like a new Bride. Lean and sexy when you bring em home then most gain weight as time moves on. All kidding aside. After you put in your all your gear, a kicker, an anchor, cooler, F.A.F.s(fat a$$ friends)your 45mph boat has now become a 38mph boat with a hole shot like your dragging the sea anchor. I run a 07 Optimax 150 and it's been great plenty of power. Whatever you decide I'd go with more hp. An extra two bills now will seem like chump change when your trying to make the boat go faster by screwing with different props and this and that. Lake Ontario does suffer fools with slow boats when the weather dictates you haul ass for port.

With that being said I'd opt to spend a little more go with the 2013 with a 150 or at least 135. Just my thoughts.

fatrap

I totally agree. You never hear of anyone complaining about having too much engine. I do hear a lot of complaints about not enough.

Positively get a 4 stroke pro kicker long shaft with power trim and tilt and 4 blade prop.

Compare the weight of the main motors... If the 150 is a lot heavier than a 115 or 135 consider that factor... I agree that more HP is better and a 2 stroke opti is probably more horses for the lb than a 4 stroke... Me I would want something in the 135 hp 2 stroke range if possible... 40 miles out and the difference between 30 and 35mph is 80 minutes versus 70 minutes so don't get too hung up on top speed or cruising speed... Further, on a bad day the conditions will limit your cruising speed more than horse power...

So, I would prioritize myself, the kicker first... when those dollars are allocated I would then choose my main motor...

Thanks for your input guys! You've given me a lot to think about. I'm so glad I found this website. You guys are THE BEST!

I've got a targa with 150 Opti and love it. Now if you're really going to be doing mostly trolling, there is nothing wrong with the 115. You'll only lose a little speed and some sporting choices. Best choice though IMHO would be 150 and kicker. You'll have the best of both worlds.

I agree with fatrap. I have a 2012 Targa V18 WT w/ Mercury 150 Fourstroke. If you're fishing big water with the weight of three guys and a kicker, you're going to want the 150. The Fourstroke is awesome. Targa

I've got the same set up as Sean and I can't imagine v-18 Targa with a 115 hp. Go with the 150 you won't be sorry.

I guess you wouldn't need the kicker if you went with a 150 four stroke

My kicker isn't connected to the main steering as is much more manuveralbe than the big engine. I'd never think of trolling without it. I can go from .5 to 3 mph and follow flooded river channels with much more precision. Where I fish you often seen boats with 60 or even 50 hp with a kicker alongside. It does take a bit of practice.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back