Targa V18 bilge pump help?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Heitman

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Targa V18. I store all of my tackle in the floor storage area. Works great! All of the weight is below the floor line. But, I can't afford to let any water build up in the bilge or it floods my tackle. Mostly, my problem is when docking overnight at uncovered docks and getting a heavy rain. I would like to make my bilge pump automatic. I know I can add a float, but that has it's own problems and costs almost as much as a completely new automatic bilge pump. I would like a 750 gph solid state (no moving parts) automatic bilge pump that will mount in the same place as my standard 500 gph manual pump (for ease of installation). Does anyone have any experience with these solid state switches? Does anyone know which pump will mount in same place using same holes and hoses? What about the switch? Can I leave it as an off/on, or do I need to run new wire and replace it with an on/off/auto? Thanks for all your help and ideas! Targa

I also have a Targa 18WT and was pondering the auto bilge switch-a-roo. I haven't checked into it yet but are the pipe/hose size the same. Dosen't the hose increase in size with each increase in volume? Don't know. I'll be checking. I had the old style 750 auto in my Ranger bass boat and they are still going strong after 23 years.

You're right about increasing hose sizes. I'm hoping someone here knows what is standard on this boat. I'm guessing it's a 3/4". I'm looking at replacing it with a Johnson Ultima 800 gph which also uses a 3/4" discharge. Targa

Whatever you get make sure it's the max you can get.

Kinda' like a TM...you can never have too much.

The Tracker Marine Center in Springfield, MO said I could replace the cartridge with a 1000 gph pump and add the Ultima solid state switch. Standard is a 500 gph Johnson pump with a 3/4" discharge hose. By doing it this way, there is no need to replace the mounting base. Access is through the plate in the splashwell (although you need arms as long as an NBA center). You just unscrew the 500 gph cartridge, and screw in the 1000 gph cartridge and attach the Ultima switch. Both are available through Bass Pro Marine Catalog. Even the on/off switch on the console works as is. On turns the pump on, and off returns the pump to auto cycle. Pretty easy upgrade! Targa

Latest posts

Back