Switching Trolling Motor from 12v to 24v

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lau

Reaction score
So, I have a 2001 700LX Nitro bass boat and wanted to change my current 12 volt trolling motor to a 24 volt trolling motor. Do any of you know what is required to make this switch (obviously besides another battery)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I rigged my old 2001 NX750 from a 12 to a 24v. The boat was pre-wired so all I had to do was install a new three bank charger, buy new batteries (I forgot what group, but I upped it as large as would fit), and had a battery crossover wire assembled. I was able to use the existing 12/24 plug from my old trolling motor to plug into the bow receptacle.

Oh, I added two new battery trays and straps.

You will more than likely have to re-drill mounting holes for the motor mount. One of my lessons learned is to mount the motor bracket about four to five inches passed the bow edge. Mine was mounted more flush allowing the prop to scratch the gel coat when I raise the motor.

Easy work :)

Thanks for the information, Doug! Sounded like you didn't have to rewire from the trolling motor to the batteries. I'm not sure what gauge my wire is for the trolling motor so I am not sure if I need to rewire (8 guage to 6 guage). I had the salesperson at BPS say that he didn't think I would need to rewire as I wouldn't be pulling all of the power out of both batteries. Any advice on this part? Thanks.

The salesperson is an IDIOT. You could have asked one of the mounted animals the same question and got nothing like you did.

didn't hold Word formatting, but you should be able to see the columns.., if not, email me & I'll send you the PDF they sent to me

per Minnkota Tech Service when I was adding a new 80#Terrova I-Pilot:

BOAT RIGGING AND PRODUCT INSTALLATION:

For safety and compliance reasons, we recommend that you follow American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards when rigging your boat. Altering boat wiring should be completed by a qualified marine technician. The following specifications are for general guidelines only:

CAUTION: These guidelines apply to general rigging to support your Minn Kota Motor. Powering multiple motors or additional electrical devices from the same power circuit may impact the recommended conductor gauge and circuit breaker size. If you are using wire longer than that provided with your unit, follow the conductor gauge and circuit breaker sizing table below. If your total conductor length is more than 50 feet we recommend that you contact a qualified marine technician.

An over-current protection device (circuit breaker or fuse) must be used. Coast Guard requirements dictate that each ungrounded current-carrying conductor must be protected by a manually reset, trip-free circuit breaker or fuse. The type (voltage and current rating) of the fuse or circuit breaker must be sized accordingly to the trolling motor used. The table below gives recommended guidelines for circuit breaker sizing.

*Conductor Gauge and Circuit Breaker Sizing Table

Total Conductor Length (length of all conductors in the total circuit)

Motor Thrust Circuit Breaker 10 feet 20 feet 30 feet 40 feet 50 feet

30# 50 Amp @ 12 VDC 12 AWG 10 AWG 8 AWG 6 AWG 4 AWG

40#, 45# 50 Amp @ 12 VDC 10 AWG 8 AWG 6 AWG 4 AWG 4 AWG

50#, 55# 60 Amp @ 12 VDC 8 AWG 6 AWG 4 AWG 4 AWG 2 AWG

70# 50 Amp @ 24 VDC 10 AWG 10 AWG 8 AWG 8 AWG 6 AWG

80# 60 Amp @ 24 VDC 8 AWG 8 AWG 8 AWG 6 AWG 6 AWG

101# 50 Amp @ 36 VDC 8 AWG 8 AWG 8 AWG 8 AWG 8 AWG

E-Drive 40 Amp @ 48 VDC 10 AWG 10 AWG 8 AWG 6 AWG 6 AWG

*The conductor and circuit breaker sizing table above is only valid for the following assumptions.

1. No more than 3 conductors are bundled together inside of a sheath or conduit outside of engine spaces.

2. Each conductor has 105oC temp rated insulation.

3. No more than 5% voltage drop allowed at full motor power based on published product power requirements.

Reference:

United States Code of Federal Regulations: 33 CFR 183

Thank you, Major Mark. I take my boat fishing with my sons and want to create good memories - not bad ones. Can't imagine a fire on the boat or the trolling motor not running to be fun memories for them or me. Thanks for the info.

I don't remember what gauge wire was factory installed. My 750 had the existing wires for upgrade. Look on the bow receptacle plate and see if it reads 12/24. If so, the additional wire may already exist behind the plate. I think it was one red, orange and one black. Let me see if I have any old pictures. If so, I

Thanks for the effort and pictures, Doug! I'll check my boat. As for the lights, I bought the boat from someone who put those on. Can't say they really help out very much but at least they were done nicely.

I did this with my 1998 700lx dc and I had three wires in my boat but still only used two of the wires and had no problems.

I upgraded from a 48 lb motor guide trolling motor to a 71 lb 24 volt trolling motor.

I think that the wiring was not even an issue.

Latest posts

Back