switch setting question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
nitro panel.JPG

Ok If I can get the picture in here I can use some help on the switch's for my trolling motor. The Boat is a 1990 175 fish & ski nitro. I cannot figure out the switch for the trolling motor. In the battery compartment we have the three batteries. One for the Big motor. Then the two for the trolling motor. There are breakers in the compartment and one red wire from each goes to the Pos. on each Battery. Each battery is hooked to it's own Black wire and they disappear somewhere. Haven't had the opportunity to trace them out. The trolling motor is a Minnkotta. 12 volt. With the swith in the up position the trolling motor runs fine. With it in either of the two ther setting it does not. The bottom setting I assume is if the batteries are hooked up 24 volt. It's the top setting that has the word charge and the middle setting that has me confussed. Anyone familiar with this boat model and this switch configuration? I haven't put a onboard charger in yet. I think I need to understand this switch setup first. When changing the charger from one batery to the other I noted that a spark was produced when I hooked the Neg side of the charger to the Neg of one battery while the Pos. was still hooked to the other battery and the charger was showing that it was charging. I am not sure if the juice is flowing through both batteries when this happens. I was wondering if I should disconnect the battries from the boat before charging? And what is with the word charging on the switch panel. I would really like to understand what this configuration is, The gas tank is right there with the batteries and I do not want to blow the whole dang rig up.

Ed I cannot remember exactly how that works but I had a similar control panel (I think on a 1987 Winner Bass Boat). I had my system set up for 12/24 volt. Anyway on my battery charger I had the same plug as my trolling motor. When I charged my batteries I flipped the swith to charge and plugged in the charger. I cannot remember if the batteiries had common grounds or hot leads but I could isolate the batteries to run on 12 volts or 24 volts. Sorry but I can hardly remember my current 24 volt configuration.

Da Bear

Latest posts

Back