survey - What do you currently do for work?

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
We talk alot about our boats, tow vehicles, families, hobbies and the like. But what do you do for a living?

Me (not to be confused with "me!" :) I work for IBM as a first line manager. The folks who work for me manager software projects (web, Lotus Notes, Client/Server) for other IBM businesses. So, i'll say it first, i'm a paper pushing supervisor!!! LOL

Been in IT since college and done everything from programming, design, processes, to consulting, training, management and even owned my own software consulting business for a few years.

Work for an Engineering Company. I am a Logistics and Expediting Coordinator. Company builds off-shore oil & gas platforms.

Work for IBM as a Senior Software Engineer, I build the stuff that Trep pushes paper about (Specifically products related to Lotus/IBM Sametime)... but thankfully he does'nt know any of my manager's!

Been doing this for 7 years now, self taught, started as a Web Designer for Marketing.

Vocational Teacher for State of Texas Juvenile prison. 15 years

for the next 101 days..I am Production and Expediting Coordinator for a plant that manufacturers food storage containere...will be unemployed after that...production is going to Juarez Mexico.

Prior lives, as cited, retail optician-store manager; back-to-school full time...Paralegal degree (couldn't get a job... not a young, good looking female willing to pour a cup of coffee; snack food route sales.

My wife says too young to retire...in the past we have always gone by the catch-and-release...after the 1st of the year...it may be catch and eat.

Ex banker, currently (ending first year) financial planner at Canada's largest private wealth management firm. MSc in Economics.

Ciao

Marc L

I've been in IT before there was IT-- Been working on computer hardware since 1968---Mostly the big main frame computer subsystems. 5years ago- went to night school / Microsoft Classes on NT4 / MCSE--

Now I'm working a small company (The New Berry Group) which has a contract with GSA in KC -- "helpdesk" taking care of the Lan and about 1500 PC's in the midwest. It's great -- no OT --No pager--7-3:30 Mon-Fri. -- No stress compared to the "main Frame" days--- Not near the $$$ also.

Hey Trepman -- Need to get all our users moved from W2kp to XP Pro--Need to hit books--build a "ghost" and start testing.

Good Luck -- HaleDamage

36 years in telecom / technical program managmement. Layed off after 24 years and now with AOL.

Bill

Hale - I'm still running W2kp, and HOLDING on as long as I can! I upgraded our home system to XP and had to buy ALL NEW PERIPHERALS!!! Scanner, Printer and still can't get my Digital camera's to work with XP! Gotta get me a Card Reader for it!

Pricing Coordinator for Fisher Scientific. Work with the sales force establishing end user pricing. Eh, it pays the bills.

Rich D

My paycheck says Senior PC Tech, but i dont do normal desktop service. I work for Bose Corp and I spec all out desktop hardware and core(os+ productivity apps) software standards. Basically if it goes onto a desktop at one point it has to go thru me. I also create the standard desktop builds, write scripts to automate rollout process, build sms packages, create tools for the helpdesk techs and act as a escalation point for the desktop techs and helpdesk techs. I also manage mass deployments and software upgrades.

I am currently working on a Windows XP build. Hopefully by next year the whole company will be flipped from win2k( 6000+ users in many countries)

Marketing and sales director for an ammunition company.

I work for the Michigan DNR as a fisheries biologist. I run one of six hatcheries in the state.

Senior Software Engineer in the petrochemical process industry.

Trepman-- Still running W95 at home -- When I get ready to swap out the OS -- I'm going to swap to hole PC / printer /ets-- That way everything "will" work. I Hope.

HaleDamage

Principal Electrical Engineer (Electromagnetics). Design Telematic Antennas for Automotive Industry. GPS(ONSTAR),PCS,AMPS and Sirius, and XM radio. Many of the people on this board have GM vehicles w/ one of my antenna designs on it.

Also Design for 6 Sigma Blackbelt.

Product Support Manager for a manufacturing company that builds forklifts and container handling equipment. (Taylor Machine Works)

Electrical, electronic control and hydraulics.

I am an administrative manager/accountant for a drilling contractor (natural gas). My company owns 100 drilling rigs. We rent them to oil and gas producers so that they can drill wells.

I was a cop for 8 years before I fell into my current job.

Wolf

Sr. Project Manager (PMP) with Wachovia Bank N.A., in Charoltte, NC. As mentioned earlier in this thread, been doing systems and IT work since 1968 (also). Electronics Technican, Product Engineer, Engineering Technician, Project Manager, District Sales Manager, Self employed (7 years), Database design, Network Engineer (Novell) and now I work for a bank, but they don't let me near the money.

I work on updates and program changes to BIG IRON (green screen mainframes), currently in our Securities arena.

Tex

I am a jack of many things. I sale/service/install Dish Network & DirecTV as well as Integrity Online, high-speed, satellite internet service. I am an electrician with a local business. I also build/repair/upgrade personal computers and do software training. I will be adding Real Estate lending to my resume as soon as the state sends me my license.

Order Entry Supervisor for a sports collectables company. And trying to hook Mac up with some ideas that we make here. So he can promote and market S&T to the fullest!

Donnie

I wook fo the guvment...so I just screw off alot.

TEE

Looks like we all goof off alittle if we are at work now and on this board.

HaleDamage

Field Service Engineer in the Semiconductor industry.

I can relate to TEE. I spent 31 years working for the Dept. of Defense as an electronic technician.

Now I work for a D.o.D. contractor. doing about the same thing...screwing off alot...but for much more money.. :>)

My goal in life now is to get up to north Georgia and drink some of Trepper's beer and wet a line on the mighty Chattahoochie. I've got the com' on, now I need the time and a Kitchen pass.

Richard - Got 2 batches of brew in the bottle ready in 1-2 weeks (just when I leave for Canada :-(!! A english Ale and an American Pale Ale (Very strong and hoppy!).

Get working on the misses for that Kitchen Pass in Mid-September!!

Software enginner designing Ultrasound systems

before that locomotives

before that submarine sonar systems

Wish I could find a way to mount one of those 50000 amp monsters on my boat. Then I could find em.

Police Officer (14 years), Troy Michigan. Senior FTO (Field Training Officer). I get to break down the new hires, erase everything they learned in the academy and teach em how to be real Police Officers.

currently work for a trucking company repairing over the road rigs and trailers.

35 years with Caterpillar in the diesel engine side of the business. Most of my background is manufacturing related --factory supervisor, general supervisor, superintendent, planning manager. Currently a 6Sigma master black belt teaching and coaching others...

Bob G.

A "kitchen pass" is nothing more than the little woman letting you out of the house for some manly activities.

I am employed with a University as the Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration.

I'm a self-employed IT consultant, working from my basement. I help (mostly small) businesses with information system decisions and implementations. I build and host web sites. I publish a few web sites that, strangely enough, look a lot like this one.

Right now nothing. Possible reconditioning job on the horizon (could start Monday) but I'm not sure about flat rate work.

Jim B - can you sneak me in for an interview?????? :)

XMYTRUCK - I can do Mac too.... :)

Mechanical Engineer at a battery company in Troy MI. Trying to develop NiMH batteries for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles.

A NOTE for all you IT guys:

SolidWorks 2003 has a ton of problems running on Win XP. If you're "upgrading" from Win 2000, do your self a favor and don't upgrade your engineers if SolidWorks is your CAD platform.

Smitty, please train you new cops NOT to pull me over on may way into work. Thanks :eek:)

Marke

Smitty,

Glad to see there is a cop amoung us out there. I was begining to wonder if I was the only one. With all this fishing I would think there would be a lot more Police Officers out there

Police Officer Fresno, Ca. 5 years. Currently assigned to the D.C.S.T. (District Crime Suppression Team) basically front line SWAT, with out all the gear. We are 24/7 and not on call.

CNC machinist for 20+yrs.Just started a new job with Lord Manufacturing.

Steve ><}}}}'>

Commercial Mason Contractor in the Chicagoland area... Do alot of public schools and federal projects. Soon to be a land developer in a far southern suburb.

Mike

I own a military spare parts distribution company..... Needless to say business is good these days.

I'm a helicopter instructor pilot with the U.S. Army. Travel around a good deal and evaluate other Army instructors in the UH-60 Blackhawk.

Like Doug, business is good these days.

Thad

I'm a Training Instructor and a Nuclear Power Plant.

I teach "General Employee Training" and "Radiation Protection Training."

az

Salesman and Estimator for F.A. Highley Co the oldest and largest countertop fabrcator in Oklahoma.

Hey Doug and Thad---Maybe you could get us a deal on a 2-4 man sub so we can fish from the bottom up--Need a hole new line of lures.

HaleDamage

Im a student at Grandville High School and an aspiring pro bass fisherman.

T.S.

I work for the worlds largest producer of crushed stone.

So I get to play with full sized Tonka trucks.

"Buy it by the acre,sell it by the ton"

Steve

Richard,

I didn't know guys had to ask their wives if they could be guys! LOL! My wife doesn't ask me if she can spend my paycheck and I don't ask her if I can go hunting or fishing. It's just understood!

Bob G.

Marine for almost 20 years. My current billet is Range and Training Area Management. Pretty cool job. It is a staff job, so I teach and fly a desk now.

Carlos

I was a manufacturing rep. for 16 years in the coin-op.business ,then one day I just quit.The traveling and shows just burned me out, although I miss it sometimes.(the expense account) Now I'm a lics. contractor for new and remodel building.

I used to be a "CADJockey" like Marke, but I was forced into a new line of work being a Manufacturers Sales Rep for All Star Graphite Rods in Michigan Ohio and Indiana. I was lured away by fishing, fun and frolicing...lol

Mini

Tech Support for the Guest Company. That means when I am here during the day, I am actually doing whatI am getting paid to do! It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

Have a great day!

Sue D.

Currently a senior at Southampton College, studying marine science and presently working for the government(NOAA).

Make it 3 Bryan. Police Officer with a regional PD here in PA for 15 years. Played with most of the toys, now get to live up to the old adage "see it, do it, teach it". In the school full-time now, which finally gives me a more "human schedule" (Mon-Fri, dayshifts). Still get to work the streets though, although not as much as I'd like - I miss it. But the regular schedule coincides with my fishing partner's/wife's, which makes life good. Also provide consulting and seminars on drug/alcohol workplace issues, industrial/commercial security, school safety/security, and safety/emergency medical response for commercial settings.

Ten years ago I was Vice President/COO of a major industrial pump company at the ripe old age of 25. We positioned the private company for public offer and 70 days later I retired. I've been working/fishing for Bass Pro Shops on their Pro Staff ever since. I also own a guide service on Lake Lanier where I've had the opportuntiy to meet some really nice people. I'm at the Atlanta BPS every Friday and at major events unless I'm gone somewhere fishing!

At present a Senior-Manufacturing Engineer at a local airplane company or a Catia desk jockey. Prior to that a Industrial prostitute (contractor N/C programmer), a machinist, a truck driver, farm worker and stay at home dad or jack of all trades master of none. Still hoping that early retirement will be an opinion in 5 to 10 years.

Store manager/Service manager/retail sales/lawn and garden sales/tire jockey Foards Western Auto, Fallston MD..Just call me slash.. had fun in the past, B1B QC, DOT conversions on Gray market cars 1 Lamborgini and several Ferrari's, Systems operator for to many companies. Pit Crew member (Super Sprint) Crew Chief (Late Model) Street Racer..

Now I am just old.

BF

Hello, I work at GNB/EXIDE in kansas city. We make industrial lead acid batteries for fork trucks,locomotives and other industrial equipment. I upgrade and redesign our production equipment to maximize up time and productivity.

A dumb machine is a happy machine.

I am an electrician for Saturn Corp.in Spring Hill Tn. I work in the L850 Engine Machining and Assembly building, best job I have ever had, and great fishing any direction I go.

Bob G.

You're right dang it! I'm gonna put my foot dawn and TELL her I'm goin' fishin' when I want to. (I'll wait until she is out ear shot to do it). :>)

It's hard for me to get out fishing WITHOUT HER! She almost rides to the lake sitting in the boat! I guess my "kitchen pass" is a variation of the real K.P....

Dang! I think we're ALL UNDER ARESST BOYS! The "Long Arm of the Law" is among us!

;)

TEE

I am part owner in ABC Logistics, Inc. We are a truckload transportation broker in Greensboro, NC. If you don't know what a broker is? We are just like a trucking company, but don't own any equipment. Our customers give us their freight and we find the trucks to haul it for them. This is our 8th year in business. Overall, it is pretty fun work. Sometimes it gets a little stressful.

Bryan

Been in the IT field since I was 18. Have a BS in Criminal Justice and Psychology but never used it. Currently working for a pharma company implementing and supporting SAP globally. I do alot with design and strategy and making sure customer requirements are met. Currently working on moving alot of delivery out to the internet so I am learning alot about web technology and configuration. On the management path but can't let go of the detail. Not what I wanted to do in life but it pays the bills.

Dream is to buy a warm weather resort with about 8-10 cabins and treat people like I would like to be treated.

Engineering Illustrator for GM,...23yrs in the biz and 20 of them with GM. BS in Business Mgt and AAS in Technical Illustration. Freelance Cartoonist and Illustrator in the fishing industry. Recently signed a new world-wide product licensing agreement with Action-Performance Co. to develop and market a full line of "Scales and Tales" merchandise available through small and major retailers and internet sites. My goal is to make a living cartooning, live off of product royalties and to see "Scales and Tales" become a full length motion picture (ala Nemo). Currently working my tail off and doing very little fishing. My dream is to eventually be able to fish my tail off and do very little work!!..LOL

Johnson Controls in Facility Maintenance, also Safety Representative-Training etc. 9 1/2 years at Verizon Headquarters in Irving and currently working at Exxonmobil Headquarters in Irving.

Play piano in a house of ill-repute!

And aspiring lottery winner!

OK..... ok..... Carreer Salesman-for-Hire! Currently, sell cellular phone service!

First line manager, control / mechanical at the Darlington Nuclear Plant, Ontario Power Generation.

Electrical/Mechanical Inspector for Eaton County MI. Also a

licensed Electrical/Mechanical and building contractor when fishing allows.

Gene

Well, I use to have a paying job (Air Force pilot) now I fish for a living. Pay is lousie but working conditions are great.

Maintenance Pipefitter Honeywell Plastics plant. 20+ years in the construction industy. BS in BS and so forth I'm a poor man with a bad fishing habit!

Hey Perry-

I guess I'm not the only "nuke" on the board!!!

az

Quality Assurance Engineer @ an Aerospace Mfg. company

RoyC

Commercial Artist for a large Nat. Sign Co. Owned and ran a Screen Printing Co. for 15 years pryor. Just starting to produce soft plastic baits.

Corporate pilot fot the past thirteen years. My wife would disagree that it's work though.

Mechanical Designer Consulting Engineer Firm:

Retired E-7, U.S. Army.

I know it't been a while but it's real hot out west and I've been pritty buisy.

I have three jobs really, I am a Fire Captain and have been fighting fire for 23 years that is what feeds my family, my second job is a full time husband and dad ...now that's work! and my third job is a touring pro angler...thank God for the fire gig because I would really go hungry this year.

Rip Lips,

GregG

I wanted to see it hit 100 replys. Whats the record for reply's to a single post?

Retired from US Navy where I was a "nuke". Now I a operate a power plant at a state university in SW MO. My wife and I also own a greenhouse/nursery, therefore little time to fish...

Bill

Telecommunications tech for a major gas pipeline company.

Offset Pressman......40" 2 color Heidelberg, 25" 5 color Heidelberg,5 color Heidelberg GTO, and a couple small high speed web presses...(4 color and 5 color),at a local printing company. We have 5 main presses at work and 4 pressmen so we move around alot depending on work flow...

Yep, you got junk mail? Blame me, hehe

egMike

I'm an accountant. Just started a new job this past week after being laid off for 3 1/2 months. I now work as an accountant for a large chain of carpet/flooring stores in South Central PA.

Engineer for overseas construction for the US State Department. Watch out Tee!

Project Engineer for a Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center

Latest posts

Back