super flukes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
I have been fishing flukes on an unweighted hook. I'd like to get down a little deeper with them. What is the best way to rig them to fish deeper.

Gene

Weight the hook :lol::lol: Really though, that's your only option. You can use the weighted hooks, put it on a lead headed jig, shove a finishing nail in it, use a bullit weight, or dropshot it. None of the weighting options will fish it like weightless. Closest would be the weighted hooks and the nail trick.

TOXIC

Couple of ways...

very small splitshot at the nose

Weighted hooks

nail inserted in the head

Myself I still like weightless...I just let it sink good before I work it first and rty to impart a slower "dance" to get it deeper.

I like a small shot right at the nose for a slow descent;)

I like Falcon brand weighted hooks for flukes. If you didn't want to use a weight you could try using fluorocarbon line.

Gene, here around Lake O the fluke is one of my go to baits. I personally have found that when I need to weight it due to wind ect I like to keep the action as close to my UN-weighted presentation as possible. SO here is theyt way I found it to be best. Like others have said, using a small nail or the ones you buy at BPS. But I think the key to the presentation is where you put it. Insert the nail in the area of the bait between the top and the bottom of the hook. It doesnt effect the hook set or penetration but it does make the fluke sink more natural. Sorry this was so long but it really is worth trying.

GERSH, FL BPS Pro Staff

Ahhh... something I have a LOT of experience with... :lol:

I actually weight my soft jerkbaits quite often. I use a combo that has worked great for me, and still imparts good action in the jerbait.

Mustad Ultra Point Ultra Lock worm hook in either 3/0 or 4/0 depending on the size of the bait. To that, I will attach Lunker City "Belly Weights" in either 1/16, 1/8, or 1/4 oz, depending on the fall that I want.

The hook is the key in this rig, as the upper portion of the hook is longer (the shaft by the line tie), setting the hook back a bit further in the bait, and providing a better balance than some other hooks with a shorter upper shank. If you use the shorter upper shank type hooks, like a Mustad Ultra Point Mega Bite or Big Mouth, even if you set the hook further back in the bait, it throws the balance off when you put the belly weight on it.

After rigging the lure, I normally put a drop of fishing glue (super glue type) on the oring holding the belly weight on. This keeps it from sliding back on the hook, and keeps the bait swimming near perfectly.

All the best,

Glenn

Cool, thanks everyone!! I'm going down to BPS tonight to stock up and wanted to see if I needed to buy something for this situation.

Gene

I can tell you that the BPS brand is just as good and a tad cheaper........

I have found a technique that has worked for me in areas that others couldn't get a bite on because they weighted the fluke itself. I "kinda" carolina rig it by putting a swivel about two feet in front of the fluke and then put a pinch on type sinker on in front of the swivel. I use a little lighter line from the swivel to the fluke. This allows the fluke to move with more action and with the weight it does get deeper. I use this on deep points etc, plus it is easier to change the weight to get it deeper.

Randy!

It usually depends on the size of the bait fish as does the color pattern. In any case I always try to have some red on it as if injured!

Randy!

For me, fishing KS and MO lakes, Pearl works best. Occasionally, the Baby Bass will do nicely. Watermelon Red is the big strike out version.

thanks.

Marty, Let me know if you want to get together and wet a line sometime.. Maybe Leavenworth county lake?

Rick

a trick i use almost always is to weight my hook with lead tape like the sticky dots. use 3 to 4 and dont overlap, its the perfect weight, and it reacts just like weightless.

and your plastic just slides over it like its not there, and if they wont bite the fluke, rig a gary yamamoto twin tale hula grub, and put a rattle in it, it will fall even, like a senko.

mike c

Haledamage: You got it! As long as you didn't your nick by being a lightning rod for hale-:wacko::wacko:.

:lol::lol::lol:I will just bring my big Hale stones along Marty:blink::lol::lol::D

Rick:rolleyes:

I like any color as long as it is white!:lol:

Seriously though the white can be seen as deep as 20 feet..NO JOKE!

I fish Ultra clear Dale Hollow and that color has caught more than all combined.

The Bubble Gum is a good color on darker days;)

20 FEET! Holy Bats$%&! Here in Kansas we are lucky to see 20 inches!! Right Marty.

Tim

Tim,

Melvern is one of the clearest lakes in Kansas.. And yes less then 2 feet.:blink:

Rick

If I could see 20 feet down in any lakes around here, my vision would be so good that I wouldn't be allowed to look at woman! :wacko:

Seriously, I can't think of one lake here in KS with visibility much deeper than 3 or 4 feet. Here in Eastern Kansas we don't let the cattle in the water to muck it up to 2 feet visibility.

Two clearest lakes I've been on in Kansas are Wilson and Milford. Melvern is a nice lake. My mom runs the water treatment plant across the road fom the Marina entrance. Here on Council Grove if you can see 12 inches it is extremely clear!! And yes they will eat a Fluke in that water. Mostly Pearl dipped in a little Chartreuse dip in dye.

Tim

We are blessed (or cursed) with clean water in the north. Nothing to see 10 feet and when its "gin" clear you can see upwards to 30 or 40 feet depending on the water.

There are places in Grand Traverse Bay that you can see the tops of rock formations that look like you can stand on em and not get your belt wet.....only to find out they are 20 feet below the surface :)

As for fishing a soft jerkbait....I use a system of weighting them as follows:

1. Use a bigger hook. But not too big to over power the bait.

2. Use a swivel. Start small and go bigger. On a 2 foot leader to the bait.

3. Nail weights

4. Weight the hook

5. Pinch on worm weight, start small. (awesome on bedding fish, the bait noses down on the bed)

6. any combination of above. I will start at the top of the list and add more as more weight is needed.

The goal is to keep as much "natural" action of the bait as possible while still making it completely weedless.

Also dont overlook these baits for fishing docks....if you intentionally rig two baits crooked (one to go left, one to go right) you can run them under docks...fish havent seen that too much.

There is a way to fish two (or more) soft jerkbaits to imitate schooling minnows. Tie a rig with a swivel on a 1 foot leader. Then run your main line through the open end of that swivel. Add another swivel and a 2 foot leader and a second hook (w/bait). The two baits will dance/glide/fall differently. HOLD ON!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

oh and I suppose you invented the internet too?

oh,..I forgot,...you probably used that 25 years ago,,...and everyone copied YOU!! LOL

No....I didn't invent the internet....Gore did,...BTW,..didn't that idea come from you too!!;):rolleyes:

:rolleyes: LOL..I thought so!! I remember him dropping your name a time or two, but that was back before I knew you,...man time fly's by fast!!!!

What prompted this whole thing was in June down on St. Clair Mark's son was spanking the fish and it looked like he was getting the bait deeper than I could without weight. I used to do the double rig with slug-o's.

Gene

One thing I havent mentioned is the use of flourocarbon. It will get the bait slightly deeper too.

Mini, I'll never forget the first time I fished Greers Ferry down by my Dad's in Arkansas. I saw a Bud beer can and told my uncle I was going to grab it off the bottom and he laughed and pointed to the lowrance. 24 FEET!! I could read that can plain as day. Realized real quick I was out of my element. I sure do use a lot of lessons learned there here though.

I also like to carolina rig a fluke. It can be very deadly that way.

Tim

Latest posts

Back