Sunami Baits - My impressions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
Like many of you, I got my samples in today's mail...

Was not expecting the crappie grubs or the tubes... I like both of them... that 'Pumpkin Pepper Green' looks to be a killer combination, I like how these tubes are a little different than most tubes on the market, in that the tails are longer than the tube body... should make for a fairly unique presentation... the color/flake mixture in this one and the junebug color was very consistent ( a true mark of quality).

The Crappie grubs are also a bit unique with the 'diamond' paddle tail... I don't know how much of a difference the shape of the paddle makes, but in a game where sometimes being different counts, this one is a winner.

I then opened up the Stick baits... Keep in mind that i have been a Yamamoto fan for as long as I knew about them, and I have tried nearly everyone's 'copy'. Most are either too rubbery, too stinky, too heavy, or 'something'... none have ever come close.

I did not expect what I had.

These baits are soft.

They are the right size and shape.

In a blind test (Barb closed her eyes and I handed her a 4" Yammie and a 4" Sunami)... she could not tell them apart... Other than the hook slot (nice touch!), there were no distinguishable differences. Both felt the same, both 'squished salt' when squished.

We then did the ultimate test... thanks to the handy 220 gallon aquarium, we could compare fall rates and action. (30 inches deep). Both were tied onto 10# test and a #2/0 tube hook (it was handy...same hook for both).

The Sunami stick fell <b><i>slower</i></b>.

Read that again... It's not a typo.

I have _never_ found a bait that could come close to matching the slow seductive fall of a senko. This one matched it, and then some.

The Sunami also fell more <b><i>horizontally</i></b>, and occasionally drifted backwards into the rocks in the aquarium.

Read that again.... Still not a typo.

In case you can't tell... I'm more than a bit impressed.

Overall, the consistency between the baits was spot on... the colors are right, the balance is there, the quality is there.

I will be getting these into the hands of Bill with a strong recomendation to carry them in the stores. He's traveling now getting ready for the first two BASS Elite tourneys, so he's hard to reach.

Now all we need to do is expand the color selection a bit.

Two Strong sore thumbs up from me... can't wait to see what the Bass have to say about them!

Yup me to TEE. I went and had a baby and missed out on the freebies.

Donnie

Dang - I was here, must have missed it while I was on Dial up in OK!!

bttt, want to make sure that Norm sees this.

Latest posts

Back