Suggestions on new fish finder

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark barton

Reaction score
I am looking to buy new fish finder. Any suggestions. Have not really researched them yet, just wanting to get some ideas. What features should I be looking for.

I am looking to buy new fish finder. Any suggestions. Have not really researched them yet, just wanting to get some ideas. What features should I be looking for.

Lots of features and price ranges.
What do you think you want and at what price?

What I have now are just basic fish finders, I call them depth finders. I am looking for something with side imaging and underneath imaging I think is what it is called. I mostly fish inland lakes so not sure if I need GPS or not. I have a budget of around 1200 dollars is what I have set for my max. I am not sure how most people do it if they put it by the cockpit or on the front with trolling motor. Thanks for any feedback!!

With that kind of money to spend you could get a couple of real good ones. Same advice I have given before, go toa store that has a good selection. Spend some time and play with several, change settings, display, if GPS, find a location on a lake that you know in order to check the built-in map. Most decent systems let you add maps via SD card. DO NOT let a salesperson try to sell you anything. Let the unit "speak" to you. If you need help changing settings, let a salesman help - a little. Do research on the net to see where you might want to start. Look at both Humminbird and Lowrance sites. If a unit looks interesting, do further research on that one. Then go to the store and play for a while. Look at and touch several. Go home and think a while, then get what satisifies your wants, I mean needs.

was looking at the lowrance elite 5 hdi today and liked the features. I am looking for one for the bow and the cock pit any suggestions on combinations for the two areas?

I recently bought a Humminbird 898 HD SI, Il ove playing with it. The side imaging amazes me how clear it actually shows stuff in any conditions. Super easy to use, has 3 instant shortcut screens to save your favourite screens. You can learn it in one trip and from then on just fine tune. I skip between screens, GPS and settings constantly and it's that easy. Have a look at some of my earlier posts to Greg showing some pics onmy first ever attempt.
Good Luck

Mark,
Help us suggest a pair of units by answering the following:
What’s your budget for the two units?
What sort of features do you want on your bow unit (type of sonar, GPS, display size)?
Do you want the two units to be able to share any information?
The 898c HD Si unit has Ethernet capability, so it can be connected to a second Ethernet capable unit and share data. Depending on what model this other unit is you could share sonar, water temperature, GPS Receivers and waypoints.

Mark,
Help us suggest a pair of units by answering the following:
What’s your budget for the two units?
What sort of features do you want on your bow unit (type of sonar, GPS, display size)?
Do you want the two units to be able to share any information?
The 898c HD Si unit has Ethernet capability, so it can be connected to a second Ethernet capable unit and share data. Depending on what model this other unit is you could share sonar, water temperature, GPS Receivers and waypoints.
Greg - When connecting two units like that using an ethernet cable, do they share the same transponder? For me, I would like to have two units where one is on the bow and one in the cockpit so I can view the same thing on each unit. Are there advantages to doing it that way or having two units and two transponders where they do not share views or info?

I have a budget of 1200.oo. I was thinking I want down scan and sonar on the bow, not sure if I need sonar for the cock pit I don't think I need to share information between the units. All of my fishing is done on inland lakes. I am just learning about fish finders so I appreciate the help.

Greg - When connecting two units like that using an ethernet cable, do they share the same transponder? For me, I would like to have two units where one is on the bow and one in the cockpit so I can view the same thing on each unit. Are there advantages to doing it that way or having two units and two transponders where they do not share views or info?

Ethernet allows sharing accessories including transducers. The "view" is whatever you select for each unit separately.
Each unit can have a different view displayed using data from the same transducer.
Only like data can be shared such as you cannot have SI displayed on a non-SI unit. Both would have to be SI units.
Basically Ethernet does not make one unit a monitor for the other.

The advantages are preventing cross-talk between units and your fishing partner seeing the same data you are if you set the units to connect to the same transducer.
The disadvantage is the distance the transducer is from the display such as selecting the transom transducer for the bow unit.

I have a budget of 1200.oo. I was thinking I want down scan and sonar on the bow, not sure if I need sonar for the cock pit I don't think I need to share information between the units. All of my fishing is done on inland lakes. I am just learning about fish finders so I appreciate the help.

Hmmmm, $1,200 for both units? An 898c HD Si unit will use most if not all of that budget up. If you go with a smaller unit at the console you could afford a second unit at the bow or you could set up a second station for the 898c HD Si (or whichever unit you get) at the bow as well.
Maybe a 798c HD Si unit at the console and a 788ci HD DI unit at the bow?
For less money you could go with the 598ci HD Si on the console and a 597ci HD DI unit at the bow. These units would not be able to be connected to each other in any way.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Is there a reason for GPS on the bow or is that overkill if I have it on the cock pit finder?

Is there a reason for GPS on the bow or is that overkill if I have it on the cock pit finder?

If you are fishing locations that you have waypoints, wouldn't you want to hold your position at that location while you are fishing it?
Offshore brush piles, humps, end of points, channel bends, etc.

The 898c HD SI units are on sale now. Just saw a dealer's post for $946
That would give you Dual Frequency 2D sonar, Dual Frequency Side Imaging, Dual Frequency Down Imaging, and GPS /Chartplotting
Plus the Ethernet capability if you would need it.

Yes, or that plus a lesser featured unit with standard sonar for the bow with the remaining part of your budget from the same company.
Several units with monochrome display and some with color displays in that price range.

Latest posts

Back