Stinky Stuff??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
We had a new sporting goods store open here in OKC yesterday called Sportsman's Warehouse. Have any of you heard of them? They have a huge fishing department and one of the things they have is complete selection of fish attractant. I have always wanted to try both Mega-Strike and Smelly Jelly and now I can't decide which one to start with. It seems like both have their merits. Mega-Strike is in a tube and comes out like Vaseline and the Smelly Jelly is in a jar and come out like Vaseline. I've always used Kick 'n Bass but it's kind of runny and messy. What do you all think?

Harpo

I use Mega-Strike, when my aerosol can of Bang runs out, it's pretty good, smelly-jelly is messy IMHO, you have to dip the bait in the container, it also changes with temps.

I started using Mega-Strike last year. I really like it. I like the tube, and how it dispenses.

One caution though. You cannot store it, or have it out, in direct sunlight. If you do, it will melt (within the tube), and when you take the cap off it streams out. A quick dip into cool water, or put it back in the shade, will return it to it's 'vaseline' state.

I like that a 'little dab will do ya' on your soft plastics (whew - almost messed up there!). I also like the fact that after I apply it, I rub the small amount left on my fingers into/onto my hands. I believe it helps remove other 'smells' that may be on my hand.

Haven't used the smelly jelly, so can't comment.

I have used Kick N Bass in the past (and some again this year). It's very potent stuff, but sometimes hard to dispense or use. Recently, I've tried this:

Take a small rubbermaid (or like) container with a lid. I use one from the kitchen that seals very well (I considered this to be important - given how strong KNB is). I glued a scotch brite sponge (small rectangular one) both in the lid, and on the bottom. When the lid is closed, they should touch. I then doused both sponges with KNB. When I want to apply it, I simply open the container, put the soft plastic between the two sponges, and then massage it through the lid of the container. It applies it pretty well. I don't get it 'on me'. And the KNB is sealed up much like in it's bottle. Only item is that it takes quite a bit of KNB to coat the sponges enough.

Tex

If interested, I'll take a couple of pictures of my 'container', and post them. Other benefit is that I just toss it in with my other tackle, and not worry about it.

Tex

I love KicknBass... I put it on just about everything other than Powerworms...they need nothing:D

Harpo....Sportsman's Warehouse is the name used by Bass Pro Shops for their smaller outlets.

Larry,

Save your money and just pass that worm under your armpit or between your toes!

LOL :lol:

Wolf

Tex, that's a good tip for the KNB. I think I can picture what to do....I'll try it.

Ken, ??? are you sure about that? This place looks nothing like a BPS... no BPS branded stuff anywhere. Plus we already have a BPS that's not much bigger than this place.

Harpo

Don, that's a good tip I'll have to try that except I'm really fishing for bass more than catfish and carp. :lol:

BTW, what did you think of Les's season opener? Typical Les Miles is all I can say. Sorry 'bout that.

Harpo

Yes, I'm sure BPS uses that name, but that doesn't mean others don't also....

Ive used all three. I like the mega strike because of the dispenser but it only comes in one "flavor". Smelly Jelly has a vareity of types. My fav is bass feast and craw with glitter. The Smelly Jelly stays on a long time and works good, its just messy and it really smells. Kick-n-Bass i didnt like at all. Not because of the liquid form but because it actually had less success with it vs no scent at all. I personalyl dont buy on bit of the hype that was created when it first came out. Its just another scent and for me one that didnt work when others did. I also loike Bang spray, the craw scent has really worked well for me in the past.

My main scent these days in one made by a local Mass fed angler called Poor Boyz. Its liquid like the kickn bass but i have lad excellent success with it.

Just a note. Yamamoto has private labeled another flavor of Megastrike that only they can sell. I think you can buy it from their web site. I talked to the guy about it last year at the Classic. He's working on some others, but is not there yet (execpt the Yamamoto one).

Tex

You can get the Yamamoto Craw Formula from Backwaters... not sure if it's on the site, but I know it's in the Lexignton store for sure.

KnB Garlic... I use a ziplock bag.

Ummmm...no Sportsman's Warehouse has nothign to do with BPS in Oklahoma City.

I havent been by the store yet. I want to go up there.

I know they are going to carry a lot of rods that we wont carry. I know that will hurt us.

I'm glad that they moved to OKC, that will give us some competition and hopefully force us to work a lot harder and provide some better stuff to our customers. Its not that we dont have quality products, I just think think we should carry more things like upper end Quantum rods and Shimano rods. We have people ask about them all the time but we dont carry them.

BJ

The chain Harpo is referring to is independent of BPS....but BPS does call some of their smaller stores Sportsman's Warehouse.

Hey BJ, I met one of your buddies, Derck, from BPS there yesterday. Real nice guy. The only rods I saw there that you guys don't have are some of the high-end (can't remember the name) Shimano rods. I looked at a 7'6" flipping stick that cost $155, it didn't feel a bit lighter than an Extreme and it didn't telescope so I couldn't fit it in my rod locker. They had some St. Croix, Falcon Lowriders, and some G. Loomis plus the usual assortment of Ugly Sticks and Berkley Lighting Rods ect.

I don't know who they are but they sent me a coupon good for $10 off a $50 purchase so I guess I'll be buying something from them.

Harpo

Soonerfan,

Would the store be in the Quail Springs area?

May try to stop by on my way to the game tomorow.

DH

Derek is a super nice guy!!! It was bad to lose him. He knows a ton about fishing...more than he will admit.

Sportsmans is lucky to have him...plus he HILARIOUS...whenever he worked we were always laughing.

Was the Shimano Crucial? I've only seen a couple of them and I used a buddies to fish with one day..good rods...just a little pricey. I've heard their heaviest crucial was like 2.5 ounces??????

Dale, yes it's on the north side of Memorial between Pep Boys and Best Buy. They really do have a good fishing dept. Not much in the marine dept. and I didn't even check out the hunting and camping stuff at all.

BJ, I think :unsure: it might have been a Shimano Crucial, don't remember for sure. It really didn't seem that light, certianly not as light as a St. Croix or even a Falcon Cara. About like an Extreme maybe. Yeah, I really enjoyed talking to Derek we talked about a lot of differant lakes. He got me interested in running down to Mountian Lake and renting a 2-man. Have you ever been to Mountian Lake?

Harpo

I have never been to Mountain lake...but i have heard a lot about it.

My brother and I used to go to Mountain Lake several times each year. We would leave at 4 am so we could get there at first light and would fish until we had to leave before they locked the gates. We never caught anything really big, but we usually caught a lot of decent fish. The best day we had was in late June. My brother caught 80 something fish and I caught 50 something. I can't remember the exact numbers, but toward the end of the day we were recycling the used soft plastics from our trash so we could stay fishing. The lake has two major creeks coming into it and those channels are good as well as some of the submerged humps that are covered in grass in the late spring and into the summer. The grass is normally 4 to 6 feet below the surface and it provides some fun soft plastic fishing. My dad had a 14 jon boat we would take and I would mount my 3hp outboard and my brother would bring a trolling motor and a couple of batteries. During the summer the fishing days were long, 6:30am until about 8 pm, so two batteries were a must. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I will definitely head back again when time permits. My brother is in Tulsa now so it is a little more difficult for us to find the time to arrange trips. That and the fact that he took the jon boat with him to Tulsa when he moved. I still have my 3hp outboard and have been looking for a good deal on a used jon boat. My boys are getting old enough so they are able to go on a trip like that. If you have the chance, it is worth your time to give it a try.

Larry

The word on Mountian Lake is that the next state record will come from there but so far Broken Bow record still stands. My only problem with it is, not being able to put my boat in there. Same with Pumpback, I'd like to try it as well.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back