Sticking Bendix

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Mercury 150 efi, the bendix won't let loose from the flywheel when trying to start the motor....knock on wood, this is the only trouble I've had with in the 7 years I've owned the boat....where do I start I order to not screw anything up...thanks for the help.
Eric

I have a 2001 Mercury 150 efi, the bendix won't let loose from the flywheel when trying to start the motor....knock on wood, this is the only trouble I've had with in the 7 years I've owned the boat....where do I start I order to not screw anything up...thanks for the help.
Eric

A little light oil on the spiral splined shaft under the bendix. Work it a few times and it will be fine. The splines get dry and the drive gear will stick.

I had the opposite problem, the starter would spin but wouldn't rise into place. Same issue I am sure, the shaft was gummed up and not moving freely. I wrapped the area with paper towels then sprayed with lubricant (WD40 clone) while working it up and down gently. Clean up as much as you can so the oil doesn't attract more dirt and make it worse, but that cleared it up for me.

Latest posts

Back