Steering cable

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive was told by the local marina that my dual steering cable needs to be replaced on my 1999 Nitro NX882. Is this replacement a big chore or is it something fairly simple to do? They are also trying to upsell me on having them install hydraulic steering for $1700, does this sound like a decent price for that?

Replacing a single steering cable was not that hard...not sure about a dual. The toughest part was that I had to loosen the motor mounting bolts in order to get out the old cable and get the new one in. If you have access to a motor lift, it would be VERY easy.

I've thought about hydraulic steering myself and probably will install it when my current cable needs replaced. Below is a link to the kit I will most likely buy and install myself.

Ron
http://www.amazon.com/BAY-STAR-HYDR...d=1352844867&sr=8-1&keywords=baystar+steering

I replaced the dual cable steering system on my 2002 nx882. Not a hard job at all. There are some very good videos on you tube, showing step by step details. I didn't have to remove my motor or loosen any bolts. Don't know much about hydraulic steering except what I've read. From what I've heard, if you can afford it,it's the way to go! It seems I've heard better prices than $1700. good luck

On the 882 its not a hard job at all, the 8" plate gives you plenty of room to get them out without having to remove the motor. When i had my 882 i did them in like an hour total time.

Take a look at the rack an pinion no feedback systems that teleflex sells. They come with the cables and a new helm that will make a big difference in the way the boat drives. When i did mine the kit was under 400 bucks with cables.

Jim look on ebay for the seastar pro series with hoses.less then 1000.00.you can do it yourself.best investment you'll ever make for your boat.

Just ordered a Baystar Hydraulic system for my 2011 Z6, I'll let you know how it goes when I recieve it and install. Currently it has the single cable poverty pack steering system.

Well, my Hydraulic steering arrived so I put aside a Saturday morning to do this on my own.

Issue 1, Nitro must fit up all wiring, hoses and STEERING CABLE up inside the hull cap before putting it on top of the hull.

Issue 2, Since the steering is only 12 months old, I wanted to save it and maybe get back a buck or 2 ,not to be. After hanging the engine by one bolt on a precarious angle so the cable could be forced through the hole in the splashwell, I finally got it through.

That's when I found everything was bundled together along the inside of the gunwalls and attached by ties up under there, so I cut each tie and got a thousand fibreglass splinters in my fingers along the way.

Issue 3, the hole under the console is not big enough to remove the cable as it jams into the side of the hull, see Issue 1.

Had to give up on that and cut up a perfectly good cable to get it out.

Issue 3, the Rack steering helm uses a 2 1/2" hole but the Baystar uses a 3" hole and I screwed a peice of wood behind the original hole so I could get the hole saw to stay centered.

During installation of possibly some of the worst installation instructions that I've seen, it mentiions a special thread sealant required and NOT to use teflon tape. Now seriously guys, a $700 steering kit should come with a 50 cent mini tube of this stuff because it's near bloody impossible to buy, especially on a Saturday morning when your up to your nuts in fibreglass and crap.

So wife eventually finds somewhere that sells this and go gets it for me whilst I reseal the transom bolts and bolt the engine back up. At this stage I can't fit the helm because you need to screw the fittings in first and I need that magical thread sealant.

She's back, sealant on threads, screwed in as per crappie destructions, lines run through hull, cylinder installed and ready for fluid. It's about now you need a serious drop sheet on your carpet and a second body to bleed it. This takes about 20 - 30 mins but it bled up fine.

Clean up time and a drip on my foot from under the console, bugger, the miracle sealant is leaking from one fitting so off with the fitting and reseal, now it's all good and steering feels nice.

Test run this morning, beautiful, no torque at all, smooth as and you can take your hands off at any speed and it's steady as a rock.

Anyone considering upgrading especially a Z6 that torques right, don't hesitate, it is an awsome upgrade.

To save hours and fit this very very easily, cut your old cable out, have the miracle thread sealant on hand, a 3" holesaw and block it like I did, then a buddy for the bleeding and I could do it again in 2 hours max.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about doing the same.

Latest posts

Back