Steering Cable - Nitro 750NX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44449

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Nitro 750NX with a 2 stroke 115HP Merc. Does anyone know what size steering cable this boat requires?

I have researched and found mixed responses as to whether it is required to remove the motor to replace the cable. Has anyone changed the cable without removing the motor? I don't much feel like paying $300 plus for labor what seems to be a job that can be done with time, common sense, and caution.

Any advice?

Normally there is a number on the cable which will help you determine replacement cable length, unless it has worn off. On my 800LXS the numbers are on the cable end closest to the engine. I put new ones on my boat myself and didn't remove the motor. I did have to call in a favor for some extra help in fishing the cable to the back of the boat. I purchased them online at a place called Great Lakes Skipper. Good luck.

I dealt with this back in March. Check out this thread......

http://www.nitroowners.com/msgboard9e.asp?boardname=msg&view=1101569&replycount=11&archive=1

Mike

Thanks for that post Mike, that was very helful.

How hard was it to pull the old cable out?

Easy to pull the cable out. You might have to cut a few zip ties. Was harder getting the new one tied up with zip ties. Not sure if I said this in the other post, but I cut the old cable right by the motor. Then pulled the piece out of the motor. Then disconnected mount from the helm and pulled the rest of the cable out from under the console.

Mike

Latest posts

Back