Stealth vs StingRay XRIII Hydrofoils

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Jobe

Reaction score
Two of the hottest and supposedly technologically advanced hydrofoils are the Stealth and the XRIII made by StingRay (??). I'm inquiring if anyone has used either of these on there Nitro Bass rig and had any problems. I'm wanting to buy one of these to try on my NX882 w/ 150 XR Mercury but having problems deciding on which one. I emailed the company which told me I should go with the Stealth over the XRIII but was not inclusive as to the reason why like I had asked. I was under the impression that the XRIII was the lastest technological design with its more downwardly curved outer wings/fins supposedly directing more of the prop wash in a straight rearward path instead of letting it fan out thus loosing some of the thrust of propulsion. What the manufacturer didn't elaborate on was why the Stealth design was the better choice for me.

I have read many testimonials confirming its benefits including the no drilling required (with a few that had mounting errors(?) ending with their hydrofoil sinking to the bottom the lake) I would probably bolt mine on like many have after reading what could happen if someone didn't make sure of the fit and/or mount it properly. With a 40gal tank and 300-450lbs of extra passenger weight (just during fun boating, not fishing) it should save me gas by helping it plane out faster and keeping my passenger's eyes from popping out, plus stop the porpusing that happens from time to time when trying to cruise at slower speeds.

Anyway, tell me which one you used and why (hopefully on your Merc 150 XR or similar make and size), how the fit was to your lower unit and any other factual findings that you had or someone you know. Thanks in advance.

Nitro Jo

I wouldn't go with either, simply because if your motor is mounted correctly and propped correctly its simply not needed.

G'day John and MM,

First off, I have to dissagree with MM this time sorry ;) I use an SE300 and couldn't speak more highly. The argument that if your boat is propped right and motor mounted right I don't believe is always the answer. Buying a brand new vehicle and then opening the exhaust for better breathing, or different tyres for better handling etc, is the same thing to me, you're just improving where you want to. Hulls don't come standard with Keel protectors either but I fit one, many don't have jackplates, but most will see gains if you add one.

A good foil will do a few things, mainly get you up on the plane quicker, purely because of the amount of area that now places pressure downward under load. 2, You will get way less bow lift for exactly the same reason and 3 on many hulls, you can reduce you planing speed. Also you will notice when shutting down quickly, the hull will not drop in the ass as quickly and way less waves chase over the back.

It's an accessory that suits many hull designs and loads but some people simply don't like them. Again, in my opinion only, I always bolt them on as they were intended and have had 4 units over the years, each time with very satisfying results and no speed loss.

I have zero experience with the models that you mention so I simply can't comment but of the models I have tested the SE300 blows all away.

I have to agree with Thomm059, I also have used hydro foils. 1) was on a 18 foot F/S with a 115 Yamaha, this was already on the boat when I bought it and it seem to do well. It came up on plane quick. I can not remember the name brand but never had a problem with it. 2) was put on by myself and I'm not sure if it helped that much due to putting it on just after I bought this boat, was 20 foot bass boat with a 200 Johnson and the brand was a SE300. I do know it helped with porpoising as it settled the boat down some but I also learned how to use my tilt and trim on this boat to keep the porpoising down to a minimum. Some don't like them but the SE300 on my boat now don't seem to hurt anything and I do believe it helps with my hole shot. I can get up on plane fairly quick and the ride feels good. This may not be for just any boat but there are many hull designs so it may help some. I believe it's one of those to each his own type situations. :)

We don't need to debate at the yes or no level. Some boats do perform better. Buzz's 18 foot Fish and Ski with a 115 is a prime candidate. If you need to stay on plane at slower speeds, a foil will help. If you need to get on plane in shallow water a foil will help. And now for the bad....Big Dan explains the cornering risk better than I do but if you don't have a specific reason for one it is generally considered a band-aid fix for a bad set up on any motor 150hp and up. So tell us "Why" you think you need a foil. We know the boat/motor, what about prop?

I had the SE300 on a bass cat p2 with Mariner 200Mag. EFI and a 25" prop. It would not stay on plane at a speed I wanted to cruse and look for areas to fish. I added this monster looking thing and was able to slow way down and still stay on plane. I now have the same motor on a Nitro NX898 I just got today. I will keep It on the motor to just see how slow I can go. They are UGLY and are only effective on holeshot and slow cruse...........just my opinion.

Two of the hottest and supposedly technologically advanced hydrofoils are the Stealth and the XRIII made by StingRay (??). I'm inquiring if anyone has used either of these on there Nitro Bass rig and had any problems. I'm wanting to buy one of these to try on my NX882 w/ 150 XR Mercury but having problems deciding on which one. I emailed the company which told me I should go with the Stealth over the XRIII but was not inclusive as to the reason why like I had asked. I was under the impression that the XRIII was the lastest technological design with its more downwardly curved outer wings/fins supposedly directing more of the prop wash in a straight rearward path instead of letting it fan out thus loosing some of the thrust of propulsion. What the manufacturer didn't elaborate on was why the Stealth design was the better choice for me.

I have read many testimonials confirming its benefits including the no drilling required (with a few that had mounting errors(?) ending with their hydrofoil sinking to the bottom the lake) I would probably bolt mine on like many have after reading what could happen if someone didn't make sure of the fit and/or mount it properly. With a 40gal tank and 300-450lbs of extra passenger weight (just during fun boating, not fishing) it should save me gas by helping it plane out faster and keeping my passenger's eyes from popping out, plus stop the porpusing that happens from time to time when trying to cruise at slower speeds.

Anyway, tell me which one you used and why (hopefully on your Merc 150 XR or similar make and size), how the fit was to your lower unit and any other factual findings that you had or someone you know. Thanks in advance.

Nitro Jo
I have a Nitro NX750 with a 135 Optimax and when I got it, (used), it would not plane out very fast. Also it would not hold plane under about 3000 rpm. Since installing a StingRay Spitfire Hydrofoil that problem has all but vanished. It does advertise no drilling required but I put two SS Bolts through it in the holes provided just to be on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back